Esteemed Contributor

Re: AT&T Auctioning off DirecTV

@SilleeMee wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm still their customer but now I'm having second thoughts. I've been with them for almost 20 years. They've always been good about getting my price back down whenever they have a hike. So that's why I've stayed. 

Any tips on how you did that @SilleeMee  ?

We tried the last two times (saying we would leave) and got no where.

@RespectLife 

No tips. Just nice and calm phone calling to their CS people. I've never threatened to leave them but I have expressed that I would have to eliminate a good part of my service with them to bring it down to bare bones. Then I told them what I actually enjoyed watching the most and asked them what they could offer me along those lines. That's about it.

Right before my contract would be up I would call them and ask to speak to a retention supervisor and that worked every year until the last year when  I said bye bye and cancelled. They told me my rates were going up over $50 a month and they didn't care if I stayed or if I went. I went and never looked back. Packed up their equipment and sent it back. Took the dish off my roof earlier this year when I had the roof redone.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty 

I think maybe with all their customers leaving for streaming to save money, DTV was eventually left holding the bag and just couldn't keep offering discounts. Now that their customer base has dwindled, giving discounts is only going to make it worse fr them. I have a feeling my discounts won't be coming next time. It's time to look for something different. 

Contributor

We "temporarily" left DirecTV 7 years ago due to budget constraints. I LOVED my DirecTV, so I always planned to go back. After a couple of months of streaming & OTA, I asked the hubby if he missed it. He said "no" & that was it. We've done various combinations of streaming since then. I've been trying to talk my parents into doing this for years, but they're very attached to their DVR. I was, too, until I realized that I really didn't need it. We do have an OTA Tivo without service fees, as well, but don't use the DVR too much.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   What do you do about all that snow on your dish?  I know you get a lot.  During our rare snowy winters in my area, it's a major PIA.  I just sat TV-less waiting for the snow to melt.  Couldn't reach the dish to sweep it off.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee   What do you do about all that snow on your dish?  I know you get a lot.  During our rare snowy winters in my area, it's a major PIA.  I just sat TV-less waiting for the snow to melt.  Couldn't reach the dish to sweep it off.

@Kachina624 

I bought an extending pole for washing my windows on the second story. My dish is mounted just about the same height as the windows so I can attach a small squeegee thing on the end of the pole and sweep off the snow that way. That's not a fun thing to do first thing in the morning when I'm out there knee-deep in a snow drift trying to hold on to that pole!   LOL!

Trusted Contributor

Right before my contract would be up I would call them and ask to speak to a retention supervisor and that worked every year until the last year when  I said bye bye and cancelled. They told me my rates were going up over $50 a month and they didn't care if I stayed or if I went. I went and never looked back. Packed up their equipment and sent it back. Took the dish off my roof earlier this year when I had the roof redone.

I do this every year.  Last year I received a monthly credit of $90 and a one time $200 gift card.  This year I received a $70 credit every month and free Sunday Ticket Max.  It has been harder each year.  This year I set up a cancellation for three weeks out and a week and half before I called to asked when I would get the boxes to send back boxes.  That is when they offered me the credits.  It's a pain, but I am not ready yet to go to full streaming,  maybe next year.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 

I live in Buffalo...Land of Blizzards.  Our Directv does go out maybe only 2-3 times/season.  It has to been a really bad storm w/ high winds.  DH can reach it easily with a broom, but not shorty pants here.

We had a mild winter last year, so it never went out at all.

I DVR/tape anything I will watch.  That still works even when the satellite goes out..so it hasn't been an issue.

I have tons of movies recorded.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm totally dumb about streaming and what's available via this method so - what type of shows can you stream?    All sit-coms - major hard news channel like you get on cable - or mostly entertainment programs?

I think I'm aware of movies that can be streamed - music...........

Dish is really advertising on cable recently - guess OP explained they are on the rocks now.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt   You can go to the services and see what channels are available.  Most offer a free trial period.  I have Sling and get most of the channels I watched regularly on Direct TV with none of the garbage, for about $35/mo.  I also have Roku and Netflix.  I have more than I can possibly watch.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt   I should also add that I have an inexpensive interior antenna for each TV on which I can get in HD all the local network channels, PBS, QVC, HSN, Jewelry TV, a weather channel, and about 40 others.  I get all the local news and weather.  I spent $12 for each antenna.