Honored Contributor

The NYPost is reporting AT&T's attempt to sell their recent acquisition of DirecTV. But as DTV customers drop the service, attempts to sell has proved to be less than what they expected. Bids for the once big satellite company have been low and a second auction didn't help things along...they're calling it a "fire sale".

Read:

AT&T pushes ahead with auction of DirecTV despite lowball bids

Honored Contributor

Re: AT&T Auctioning off DirecTV

I'm one of those who dropped the service (3 years ago) and never looked back.  I'm not going to bid on this one.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not surprised. We cancelled DirectTV last year and went to streaming because the prices were ridiculous, nothing to watch but infomercials (over 60 channels of nothing but infomercials and that included QVC and HSN and another 40-50 of music) so that leaves very little to watch. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm still their customer but now I'm having second thoughts. I've been with them for almost 20 years. They've always been good about getting my price back down whenever they have a hike. So that's why I've stayed. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm still their customer but now I'm having second thoughts. I've been with them for almost 20 years. They've always been good about getting my price back down whenever they have a hike. So that's why I've stayed. 

Any tips on how you did that @SilleeMee  ?

We tried the last two times (saying we would leave) and got no where.

Honored Contributor

I don't want to lose my Directv. 

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Any tips on how you did that @SilleeMee  ?

We tried the last two times (saying we would leave) and got no where.

@RespectLife 

No tips. Just nice and calm phone calling to their CS people. I've never threatened to leave them but I have expressed that I would have to eliminate a good part of my service with them to bring it down to bare bones. Then I told them what I actually enjoyed watching the most and asked them what they could offer me along those lines. That's about it.

Esteemed Contributor

I dropped them back in 2017 after being a customer for numerous years. Stupid packages, that may have perhaps three shows that you want to watch, cost increases just because, and numerous pet peeves that had built up over the years. 

I took my brothers advice who had been trying to get me to drop the service and go to streaming for years, and I can't believe it took me so long to jump on the bandwagon. I have not looked back. I do not miss them at all. I have Sling TV $30.00, Hulu $5.99, and Netflix 8.99.  Between these three services, I have more channels/options then I can possibly watch, and I am very happy. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a snob when it comes to picture quality on my TV. That's why I bought a big 4K when it first came out. Nothing compares with satellite picture quality. It's constant and in true 4K. But with streaming the picture you get can be piped through multimedias meaning you may not always get a good picture or sound. Steaming services will say that their's is 4K...true but only if you buy into it and that can cost more than people are willing to dish out. I didn't buy my big 4K TV to watch streamed programming and that's the bottom line. Until streaming services get better at picture quality and sound, I'm out.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm a snob when it comes to picture quality on my TV. That's why I bought a big 4K when it first came out. Nothing compares with satellite picture quality. It's constant and in true 4K. But with streaming the picture you get can be piped through multimedias meaning you may not always get a good picture or sound. Steaming services will say that their's is 4K...true but only if you buy into it and that can cost more than people are willing to dish out. I didn't buy my big 4K TV to watch streamed programming and that's the bottom line. Until streaming services get better at picture quality and sound, I'm out.

I have all new 4K TVs and I stream and I have no problem with picture quality.