Honored Contributor

ANYONE HERE WATCH BATTLEBOTS?

I came across this "robot combat" show and think it's a little odd ..... the outfits, the orchestrated fan cheering ...  the whole thing.

My question is ... is this a real sport?  Or is this show just a contrived robot competition that they are trying to make appear to be legitimate?  

Respected Contributor

Re: ANYONE HERE WATCH BATTLEBOTS?

I haven't watched the show but my son, who's an engineer volunteered for several high school robotics programs. Students design & build build battlebots to complete with other high schools, the winners go to regionals & then represent their State in a competition....a team he worked with won the title in Washington, DC. It's a great program to get kids thinking about a career in engineering & my son enjoyed advising them.

New Contributor

It's real.  I have a co-worker who is an engineer that was on a team about 4 years ago on Battlebots.   They made it to like 6th place.  It's fun to watch.

Respected Contributor

Actually it's been on a long time.  I saw an old episode of Nash Bridges where they went to Battlebots.  I mentioned it on the Battlebots facebook group and one of the admins responded how they got to meet Carlton Cuse when the episode was filmed. 

I'm  been an avid fan for the past 3-4 years.  The biggest issue this season this year is that a couple of episodes overlapped with Project Runway on Bravo on Thursday nights. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

It' a great show and I'm always amazed what the contestants build @Tinkrbl44  The show is an inspiration to many young people and they become interested in engineering.  My GS for one.

Honored Contributor

Honestly, I'm not sure why I was so nit-picky when I first started watching, but several things stood out .....

both Chris and Kenny wear the exact same suits and shirts for a whole season!  WHEN does that ever happen?

the cameras panning the audiences show "orchestrated" cheering .... not what you would see in a real competition.

And what purpose does Faruq serve besides introductions?   His commentaries are many sentences long ... never seen that before.

I started to think the whole thing was a pretend "reality" event.

Honored Contributor

Love Battlebots!!!  We watch these shows - I need to look to see if it's back with new and prior winners. 

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Love Battlebots!!!  We watch these shows - I need to look to see if it's back with new and prior winners. 

@PINKdogWOOD 

We've seen a couple new ones that were recorded.  One was a Bounty Hunter contest (that's what they call it  but I'm not sure why) and the other seemed to be part of the 2021 season.  The matching outfits the teams wear are sometimes a little over the top.