Honored Contributor

ANOTHER GOOD YOUTUBE "MANNIX" EPISODE

x1080.jpg

'Joe Mannix' wears ski togs rather well, as he does everything....

Absent upcoming vintage films on TV I want to see, I was happy to note that one of my favorite "Mannix" episodes--  "Cold Trail"-- was aired in the wee hours of this a.m. on MeTV.   Never fear though, it's now on youtube, which I don't believe it was about a year ago when I alerted it on ME.

"Cold Trail",   streaming free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CIhuAZrj_o

Mannix is vacationing at a beautiful, remote ski resort in the Sierras.  Murder of a young woman on the slopes brings him in the orbit of another woman, daughter of a controversial professor, who may have been the real target....

Screenshot_2021-02-10 Cold Trail (1971).png

Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER GOOD YOUTUBE "MANNIX" EPISODE

I am a night owl and often turn to MeTV in the late hours.  Mannix is on after Hitchcock and Twi-light Zone.  I remember watching Mannix when it was first aired and I enjoyed it then.  It's funny but I don't remember most episodes so it is like watching it as a new show!  I know you are a fan of The Fugitive, another favorite of MeTV.  It's nice to have choices, the old shows are classics and timeless.

Super Contributor

Super fun to watch these old shows. I especially like seeing the outdoor shots of 1970's Los Angeles.  Thanks for posting.

Respected Contributor

I was too young to watch this show when it was on and so sorry, these kind of older reruns hold no appeal to me.

I have John Wick 2 with Keanu Reeves on tonight--much more action packed (although quite violent,) and with a lot of great fight scenes, exotic scenery and modern music.

Honored Contributor

So true, @spiderw --  to steal your apt phrase, they ARE classic and timeless!  And there's something so relaxing about them too, in these somewhat harried times.

Am thrilled they are so widely available now through youtube especially...

Of course, as you know, I find, along with many critics, the top drawer "The Fugitive" to be one of the best American TV series ever created--  soulful 'film noir', but for TV!  

And on the other hand, something like "Mannix" is just pure fun and escapism, along with that great 70's art direction and location filming in L.A., that you reference, @busymom22 .  I'm so completely on board with that too!

No need to be sorry, @FancyPhillyshopper --  everyone has his own affinities.  Your show sounds interesting, but the 60's and 70's crime shows are such a 'vibe' for me, and others.  I love the clothes, interiors, everything.  Most modern shows leave me cold-- and there are always exceptions--  but temperamentally, I generally prefer the atmosphere, the niceties, the differing assumptions of vintage TV....

Esteemed Contributor

Don't you just love the yummy fashions?  Love Mannix. Thanks @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

Oh, I do too, @godi !   The ski gear in this is fab, and of course, back in L.A., Mike Connors is a tailored 70's dream, with those sportcoats--  the silk linings alone!  And gorgeous Peggy in her adorable career outfits.

Love the cars as well....  

Regular Contributor

@Oznell  I was just gonna mention the cars.  They were integral to the show.  There's a story on UTube of a California hiker who happened upon the abandoned Dodge Dart Mannix  drove for 2 years of the show.  The hiker knew what he had and refurbished the car to its original state.  Mike Conners said that he took special driving lessons for the chase scenes.  He did do his own stunts and driving.  

I loved the firebird James Garner drove in The Rockford Files so I bought his car.  Had that car for 13 years and loved every minute of it.

Honored Contributor

Wow, @chloe4578 ,  trust you for great background info on this, thanks!   I had vaguely heard that Mike Connors was a car nut, and it did seem to manifest in the show...  They were sleek numbers that he always seemed to handle so well.