Respected Contributor

She is my favorite actress. I am currently watching her and Marlon Brando in "The Fugitive Kind". Ordered from Netflex.

So far my favorite movie with her, is" Wild Is The Wind".

Anyone else a fan? And if so, do you have a favorite movie with her ?

Respected Contributor

Not recognizing this name. Pictures help.

Honored Contributor

anna-magnani-de7e0c1c-2117-4cd9-b723-f2a16285324-resize-750.jpeg

What great taste you have, @Flatbush .   Perhaps best known for the Italian masterpiece, "Open City",  and also for "The Rose Tatoo".  

I absolutely adore her also, without having seen her in much.   Earthy, beautiful, a total force of nature.  I think she had one of the most distinctive looks in the history of cinema--  so natural.

anna-magnani-alla-mostra-di-arte-cinematografica.jpg

Great presence on screen.

herbert-list-anna-magnani-800x800.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

The Rose Tattoo!  Here she is with her well deserved Oscar!

60cc87fd10807badd2278f6658dd80ab.jpg60cc87fd10807badd2278f6658dd80ab.jpg

Honored Contributor

Rose Tattoo, her Oscar winner is my favorite Magnani movie.  She was a powerful actress and I am glad you have a post on her as I believe not too many people are familiar with her acting career.  Great actress in my book.

Respected Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

and

@Oznell 

Thank you for posting these lovely pictures of her. I love her fire and her direct approach lol

She was not beautiful in Hollywood's eyes, but beautiful in her own distinctive way.

No other can compare, not before nor now.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANNA MAGNANI

[ Edited ]

Anna is one intense actress.  Never view her if you are highly caffeinated.

All joking aside, she was a gifted and brilliant actress.  I've seen her in several Italian films but have a memory only of The Rose Tattoo

ETA:  I am not going to wiki her story now, but I believe her background was dreadful.  Abuse, abandoned.  The daughter of a gypsy? 

Shoot.  I am going to have to go back and read her bio again.  She had a strange, fascinating and tragic life, as I recall.  Some mix-up with her parents or something.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

All joking aside, she is a gifted and brilliant actress.  I've seen her in several Italian films but have a memory only of The Rose Tattoo

Love your description of her.It certainly suits her.

"Rose Tattoo" was memorable, but wasn't Burt Lancaster in it too? If so, he was terribly miscast and came across to me as a bit of a clown.

Respected Contributor

Re: ANNA MAGNANI

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

All joking aside, she was a gifted and brilliant actress.  I've seen her in several Italian films but have a memory only of The Rose Tattoo

ETA:  I am not going to wiki her story now, but I believe her background was dreadful.  Abuse, abandoned.  The daughter of a gypsy? 

Shoot.  I am going to have to go back and read her bio again.  She had a strange, fascinating and tragic life, as I recall.  Some mix-up with her parents or something.

As I remember it, her beginning was murky i.e. born in Egypt,father not Italian etc.

The saddest part of her life was that her only child, a son, developed polio. Anna wanted to work hard so that he would always be taken care of.

Honored Contributor

Bless her tortured soul.