Honored Contributor

Re: ANN SHERIDAN, TCM'S STAR OF THE MONTH

Not an actress who stands out like Davis and Stanwyck for example but a movie star indeed!!!!  I will be taping a couple of the movies as her performances were always worthy of praise.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell I never got to hear Bobby Short play at The Carlyle, either.  It's a small intimate room, so it would have been great.

The best part of the piano bars in NY were you could sit around the piano while they played.  It was a horseshoe "table" that would accommodate your drinks and cigarettes and it fit around the piano.  You would have to get there early or know someone.

Jilly's (Sinatra's hangout when he was in NY) was another one.  Reggie was the piano player and he was wonderful.

Jimmie & I were coming from a Columbus Day Affair at The Waldorf Astoria, dressed to the nines.  Since I loved piano bars and had never been to Jilly's, Jimmie wanted to take me.  We get out of the cab and there is a mob of people.  My Jimmie was 6'5" in a tuxedo and I was 6'1' in heels and an evening gown.  All of a sudden, the Bouncer appears out of nowhere and ushers us inside.  Turns out it was a private party for Sinatra and he thought we were guests!  Jilly's was nothing to write home about inside.  Large, long bar as you walked in, piano and then tables in the back.  The only food they served was Chinese Cantonese style.  We went often to hear Reggie and we were, always, greeted like long lost friends.  It pays to have a husband who was 6'5"!

Yes, I did see Sinatra that evening. If he was in town, Jilly's closed down to the public and only allow certain people known to them in.  Once we got inside, it wasn't crowded, we sat at the bar and Sinatra was at the back table with Milton Berle, Alan King, Jilly and a couple of Sinatra's crew.  Jimmie kept egging me on to go past the table on my way to the ladies room.  Sinatra was not my favorite person, so to keep Jimmie quiet, I got up to go to the Ladies Room.  As I got near the table, Sinatra gave me a big smile, I smiled back, stopped at the table, leaned over and asked:  Uncle Miltie, could I have your autograph?  Sinatra laughed out loud but the look on Milton Berle's face was priceless.  He beamed!  It made his night.  Sinatra sent drinks over to us..........

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, priceless, @Somertime !   Sinatra must have been so intrigued by you, the glamour woman who was more interested in Uncle Miltie, than in him.  Well-played!

You and your Jimmie must have been such an imposing couple.  Those are fabulous memories -- how blessed and lucky you are to have them.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories with us, @Somertime !

Honored Contributor

Oh, @Shelbelle , how interesting that Ann Sheridan was on "Another World".   I hope she had a good role.  Let's see, I'm trying to think of another Hollywood actress who I know was in soaps as well-- was it Ruth Warrick?  Actually, now that you mention it, I'm even remembering that Joan Crawford subbed for Christina, her daughter, on a soap, maybe "Secret Storm" or "The Edge of Night"....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Somertime OMgosh how beautifully written that song is-it's been so long since I heard that song I'd forgotten about it. I know you sure haven't. Yes, Nancy Wilson did a fabulous job. I am going to have to see who wrote those lyrics. Just brilliant. thanks

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I remember Ann Sheridan being on the soap opera, Another World, in the late 60's to early 70's. 

REALLY? I sure don't remember that!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I remember Ann Sheridan being on the soap opera, Another World, in the late 60's to early 70's. 

REALLY? I sure don't remember that!!!

Hi, Jud, her character's name was Katherine Corning she played the friend of actress,  Constance Ford who played Ada Davis, Rachel's mother. It was in 1965 and 66.  Sheridan died in 67.