Honored Contributor

ANGLOPHILE ALERT: "THE REMAINS OF THE DAY" ANTHONY HOPKINS SUNDAY 1:45 A.M. EASTERN TCM

1_ZYRYudKhjni2awjpEHi0Zw.jpeg

1:45 a.m. Eastern--  "The Remains of the Day"   Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, James Fox, Christopher Reeve, Hugh Grant, Peter Vaughan, Michael Lonsdale, Tim Pigott-Smith

Superb Merchant-Ivory study of one aristocratic house, "Darlington Hall",  in prewar Britain, and the fates of its owner, Lord Darlington (James Fox) his butler, James Stevens (Anthony Hopkins) and housekeeper Sally Kenton (Emma Thompson).

Remains-Of-The-Day-Dyrham-Park.jpg

With James Mechant and Ismail Ivory, ("The Europeans",  "The Bostonians",  "A Room With a View",  "Howards End") you are assured of magnificent art direction and visuals;  with a screenplay by the discerning Ruth Prawer Jhabvala, (I highly recommend her books, by the way), you are guaranteed a literate and psychologically piercing script..

Dvw8LA9UYAUEpaH.jpg

Is this possibly Anthony Hopkins' greatest film role?   There's no limit to his subtle ability to embody this consummate servant, a man utterly devoted to duty to the exclusion of all else, including personal happiness.  Emma Thompson is perfectly cast as a woman drawn to Hopkins, but repeatedly foiled in her efforts to engage his emotions, at least overtly...

slider.jpg

James Fox is also ideally cast as the lord of Darlington Hall, a rather hapless man whose inability to see through and spurn the growing fascist menace in Europe helps form the backdrop to the more personal story of James and Sally.

unnamed.jpg

"The Remains of the Day" was Oscar-nominated for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenplay-- on and on!

filming-os-the-remains-of-the-day-1993-with-anthony-hopkins-james-BKCWE0.jpg

On the list of the British film Institute's 100 Best British Films ever made.

1_V37pkbGcfaHlGmBwUuGB5A.png

Honored Contributor

Re: ANGLOPHILE ALERT: "THE REMAINS OF THE DAY" ANTHONY HOPKINS SUNDAY 1:45 A.M. EASTERN TC

I love this film!

Honored Contributor

Re: ANGLOPHILE ALERT: "THE REMAINS OF THE DAY" ANTHONY HOPKINS SUNDAY 1:45 A.M. EASTERN TC

Never saw the film.....LOVED the book.  It was a book way before the film.  Now comes the surprise.  The author is Japanese.  Yes.  Someone for a totaly different culture wrote this book.  His name is Kazauo Ishiguro.  This book won him the Nobel prize for literature 1989.  I read it the first time in the library.  Then I went out to buy the book.  I've reread it about twice.  Friends of mine that saw the film, said it was (mostly) faithful to the story.  

If you want to read a very powerful story, read the book.

Honored Contributor

Great movie.  I only saw this movie once years ago.  I love James Fox.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Great movie.

Honored Contributor

One of my favorites! Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

One of my favorites! Heart

@just bee  I probably would say that too if the ending was different. Boo hoo about the ending. 😥

Frequent Contributor

I have The Remains on "record" and save it to watch it over and over. One of my favorites and historical.

I don't know a lot about Anthony Hopkins, but I try to see every movie he is in. I've read that Hopkin's career is the most important thing in his life. He has given his all to it with no exceptions. 

His movies are those that can be watched over and over again. Which I do.....

Honored Contributor

@febe2 wrote:

I have The Remains on "record" and save it to watch it over and over. One of my favorites and historical.

I don't know a lot about Anthony Hopkins, but I try to see every movie he is in. I've read that Hopkin's career is the most important thing in his life. He has given his all to it with no exceptions. 

His movies are those that can be watched over and over again. Which I do.....

@febe2 

Then I hope you've seen The Lion in Winter (1968).

What the 2020 Oscar nominees looked like when they started acting - Insider

Essentially, this was his first substantial film role.  Not a bad gig considering he was acting with Kate Hepburn and Peter O'Toole.

He made an impression.

It remains my favorite film of all time.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@just bee 

I love this movie and have seen it many times.

All the characters are odd and complex and the dialogue is rich...so much human drama and wickedness! Cat LOL