Super Contributor

Re: AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957) --Sunday TCM

@beach-mom wrote:

@Ladygray wrote:

This movie holds a special place for me.  I watched it for the first time many years ago with my Mom who has since passed.

She loved this movie.   It's such a classic.

When my Mom passed, she left me her wedding ring.   My fingers are too big to have it fit as she had tiny hands.  I didn't want to get it sized as the engagement ring was attached to the wedding band.  I didn't want to destroy it.  

Watching "An Affair to Remember" again after she passed, I noticed Deborah Kerr wore a single diamond on her pinkie finger in the movie.  I thought that looked so elegant.  I tried it, and the ring fits fine on my pinkie.  I never wore a ring on my pinkie before. 

So thanks to Deborah Kerr's fashion statement, I can now wear my Mom's ring.  Funny how it's that movie that gave me the idea.

Also, Nat King Cole sang the title song for the movie. Can't remember if it was in the movie or not.  There is a lyric that says, "A flame to burn through eternity."   Both my parents are buried side by side with the same stone.   I had that engraved on the headstone for them.

So this movie means a lot to me and THANK YOU for letting us know it will be on tomorrow!!

@Ladygray - What a sweet story about the connection you have to the movie! And how wonderful you get to wear your mom's ring. My mom had tiny fingers too. I might try that with some of hers. Thank you for giving me the idea! Enjoy the movie - again!

I think it's great that a lot of us will be watching this at the same time! I hope I can! Smiley Happy 

Hi... you should definitely try it on your pinkie.  It takes some getting used to, but I love the way it looks.   It's so different.   Send a post and let me know how they look.

What a great thought that we'll all be watching at the same time.  Connections!  Positive connections... nice thought!  

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray  I love that movie and I always cry in it when the people who were awakened ... aren't any more.

Valued Contributor

Cary Grant! What's not to love. My favorite movie!

Honored Contributor

Reminder, this is on later this afternoon.

Honored Contributor

I could do without the time-filler children singing scenes. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Pearlee  I used to do my Christmas wrapping on Christmas Eve, after bedtime. An Affair to Remember was usually on my watch list. Then I watched The Bishop's Wife and finally either White Christmas or Holiday Inn (I needed the songs and dancing to keep me going). It is one of my FAVORITES - along with Love Affair and Sleepless in Seattle.

Ah, The Bishop's Wife! MAGIC!

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I am in a minority. I really didn't like the film, nor did I care for the version before or the version after. I've seen them all. If you want to think I'm really nuts, I also didn't like Titanic. I just found those films to be corny and manipulative. There are plenty of so-called chick flicks that I love, e.g., Sleepless in Seattle and my favorite, Room With A View. I don't mind corn. I draw the line at creamed corn.

I certainly don't think you're nuts, and as a matter of fact, I like the 1994 Warren Beatty / Annette Benning "LoveAffair" about as much as Cary Grant's. 

But then I just treasure Annette Benning.

Valued Contributor

I cry every time. The scene at grandmothers' home hits me hard too.