Honored Contributor

Re: AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957) --Sunday TCM

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

For months Fox Movie Network was airing this a few times a week, , they finally stopped!!! I love the scene with the grandmother. 

Anyone seen the originasl from 1939 with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer, both were directed by Leo McCrary.  That one is titled Love Affair. 

@Shelbelle. I saw that version once a long time ago. But who would ever opt to watch that one when there's a version with Cary Grant in it? 😁

Anyone else remember Kathleen Nesbitt from The Farmer's Daughter? (Boy am I dating myself!)

I sure do remember Farmers Daughter TV series with Inger Stevens and Willian Windom and Cathleen Nesbitt, early 60's!!The grandmother in the the 1939 version was Maria Ospenskaya, what a mouthful that is !!! And there was nothing to shabby about Boyer, but I would go with Grant too !!

@Shelbelle   Well, what was "shabby" about Boyer to me was that in most things I saw him in he looked like he'd be my grandfather, not a suave leading man I'd get hit by a car pursuing! 😄

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

For months Fox Movie Network was airing this a few times a week, , they finally stopped!!! I love the scene with the grandmother. 

Anyone seen the originasl from 1939 with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer, both were directed by Leo McCrary.  That one is titled Love Affair. 

@Shelbelle. I saw that version once a long time ago. But who would ever opt to watch that one when there's a version with Cary Grant in it? 😁

Anyone else remember Kathleen Nesbitt from The Farmer's Daughter? (Boy am I dating myself!)

I sure do remember Farmers Daughter TV series with Inger Stevens and Willian Windom and Cathleen Nesbitt, early 60's!!The grandmother in the the 1939 version was Maria Ospenskaya, what a mouthful that is !!! And there was nothing to shabby about Boyer, but I would go with Grant too !!

@Shelbelle   Well, what was "shabby" about Boyer to me was that in most things I saw him in he looked like he'd be my grandfather, not a suave leading man I'd get hit by a car pursuing! 😄

Lucy found him to be quite dashing!! He did look very handsome in 1939. 

Honored Contributor

Interesting to note that Boyer was 40 when he played the role, and Grant was 53 when he played the part. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Interesting to note that Boyer was 40 when he played the role, and Grant was 53 when he played the part. 

@Shelbelle  But by the time I saw him in that film, the grandfatherly image was already planted in my mind.

Super Contributor

This movie holds a special place for me.  I watched it for the first time many years ago with my Mom who has since passed.

She loved this movie.   It's such a classic.

When my Mom passed, she left me her wedding ring.   My fingers are too big to have it fit as she had tiny hands.  I didn't want to get it sized as the engagement ring was attached to the wedding band.  I didn't want to destroy it.  

Watching "An Affair to Remember" again after she passed, I noticed Deborah Kerr wore a single diamond on her pinkie finger in the movie.  I thought that looked so elegant.  I tried it, and the ring fits fine on my pinkie.  I never wore a ring on my pinkie before. 

So thanks to Deborah Kerr's fashion statement, I can now wear my Mom's ring.  Funny how it's that movie that gave me the idea.

Also, Nat King Cole sang the title song for the movie. Can't remember if it was in the movie or not.  There is a lyric that says, "A flame to burn through eternity."   Both my parents are buried side by side with the same stone.   I had that engraved on the headstone for them.

So this movie means a lot to me and THANK YOU for letting us know it will be on tomorrow!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Ladygray - Vic Damone sang the song in the opening credits.  Deborah Kerr sang it in the nightclub scene when she was working, although her voice was dubbed.

I like the saying you had engraved on your parents' headstone.

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray. Lovely post, thanks for sharing. And you are welcome for the heads up. 

Many of us have posted from time to time about having great memories of watching movies on TV with our parents while growing up. Although I was much closer to my mom than my dad, I watched movies on TV with him, not my mother.  My favorite one to watch with him was Witness For The Prosecution. He just loved Charles Laughton's character in that (and it is a great film). I always watch that when it's on, both for the film and the good memories.

Honored Contributor

@Ladygray wrote:

This movie holds a special place for me.  I watched it for the first time many years ago with my Mom who has since passed.

She loved this movie.   It's such a classic.

When my Mom passed, she left me her wedding ring.   My fingers are too big to have it fit as she had tiny hands.  I didn't want to get it sized as the engagement ring was attached to the wedding band.  I didn't want to destroy it.  

Watching "An Affair to Remember" again after she passed, I noticed Deborah Kerr wore a single diamond on her pinkie finger in the movie.  I thought that looked so elegant.  I tried it, and the ring fits fine on my pinkie.  I never wore a ring on my pinkie before. 

So thanks to Deborah Kerr's fashion statement, I can now wear my Mom's ring.  Funny how it's that movie that gave me the idea.

Also, Nat King Cole sang the title song for the movie. Can't remember if it was in the movie or not.  There is a lyric that says, "A flame to burn through eternity."   Both my parents are buried side by side with the same stone.   I had that engraved on the headstone for them.

So this movie means a lot to me and THANK YOU for letting us know it will be on tomorrow!!

@Ladygray - What a sweet story about the connection you have to the movie! And how wonderful you get to wear your mom's ring. My mom had tiny fingers too. I might try that with some of hers. Thank you for giving me the idea! Enjoy the movie - again!

I think it's great that a lot of us will be watching this at the same time! I hope I can! Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Ladygray - Vic Damone sang the song in the opening credits.  Deborah Kerr sang it in the nightclub scene when she was working, although her voice was dubbed.

I like the saying you had engraved on your parents' headstone.

Thank you @twinsister .  I think Nat King Cole must have sang it on one of his albums.  I will take special care and watch the scene in the movie and the opening credits. 

Thank you for clarifying. 

Super Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Ladygray. Lovely post, thanks for sharing. And you are welcome for the heads up. 

Many of us have posted from time to time about having great memories of watching movies on TV with our parents while growing up. Although I was much closer to my mom than my dad, I watched movies on TV with him, not my mother.  My favorite one to watch with him was Witness For The Prosecution. He just loved Charles Laughton's character in that (and it is a great film). I always watch that when it's on, both for the film and the good memories.

@Pearlee  Thank you.

My Mom watched more movies than my Dad.   So many good memories.  When my Dad got older, I caught him watching the movie "Awakenings" with DeNiro and Robin Williams.  I remember him blowing his nose and wiping his eyes during it.  It was so touching for me to see him affected like that.  I never asked if he was crying, I just cherished the  moment.