Esteemed Contributor

Re: AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957) --Sunday TCM

@Pearlee wrote:

Remember the scene in Sleepless in Seattle when Rita Wilson tears up describing An Affair to Remember and Tom Hanks then says:"That's a chick movie!"

@Pearlee  I remember thinking every woman watching this can relate! Then thinking after Tom's remark, typical male!  LOL

Honored Contributor

For months Fox Movie Network was airing this a few times a week, , they finally stopped!!! I love the scene with the grandmother. 

Anyone seen the originasl from 1939 with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer, both were directed by Leo McCrary.  That one is titled Love Affair. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

For months Fox Movie Network was airing this a few times a week, , they finally stopped!!! I love the scene with the grandmother. 

Anyone seen the originasl from 1939 with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer, both were directed by Leo McCrary.  That one is titled Love Affair. 

@Shelbelle. I saw that version once a long time ago. But who would ever opt to watch that one when there's a version with Cary Grant in it? 😁

Anyone else remember Kathleen Nesbitt from The Farmer's Daughter? (Boy am I dating myself!)

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I'll date myself right along with you!!  I remember The Farmer's Daughter and Kathleen Nesbitt!

My mother saw Cary Grant in person in NYC in the 1940's. She was on her lunch hour with her friend and they followed him into Saks Fifth Avenue and got on the elevator with him!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee  I used to do my Christmas wrapping on Christmas Eve, after bedtime. An Affair to Remember was usually on my watch list. Then I watched The Bishop's Wife and finally either White Christmas or Holiday Inn (I needed the songs and dancing to keep me going). It is one of my FAVORITES - along with Love Affair and Sleepless in Seattle.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle. I saw that version once a long time ago. But who would ever opt to watch that one when there's a version with Cary Grant in it? 😁

Anyone else remember Kathleen Nesbitt from The Farmer's Daughter? (Boy am I dating myself!)

I sure do remember Farmers Daughter TV series with Inger Stevens and Willian Windom and Cathleen Nesbitt, early 60's!!

The grandmother in the the 1939 version was Maria Ospenskaya, what a mouthful that is !!! And there was nothing to shabby about Boyer, but I would go with Grant too !!

Honored Contributor

There was also a 1994 updated version called Love Affair with Beatty and  Benning, not nearfly as good as the others. 

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I'll date myself right along with you!!  I remember The Farmer's Daughter and Kathleen Nesbitt!

My mother saw Cary Grant in person in NYC in the 1940's. She was on her lunch hour with her friend and they followed him into Saks Fifth Avenue and got on the elevator with him!  

@twinsister  😄 As we both realized a long time ago on The Fuge threads, you are dated right along with me! 

Looking back on it, I realize Nesbitt's role in The Farmer's Daughter was to chaperone William Windom and Inger Stevens living in the same house in the early 1960s. 😈

Esteemed Contributor

I am in a minority. I really didn't like the film, nor did I care for the version before or the version after. I've seen them all. If you want to think I'm really nuts, I also didn't like Titanic. I just found those films to be corny and manipulative. There are plenty of so-called chick flicks that I love, e.g., Sleepless in Seattle and my favorite, Room With A View. I don't mind corn. I draw the line at creamed corn.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I am in a minority. I really didn't like the film, nor did I care for the version before or the version after. I've seen them all. If you want to think I'm really nuts, I also didn't like Titanic. I just found those films to be corny and manipulative. There are plenty of so-called chick flicks that I love, e.g., Sleepless in Seattle and my favorite, Room With A View. I don't mind corn. I draw the line at creamed corn.

My Mom hated Titanic, said if she never saw water again it would be too soon !!!