Honored Contributor

AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957) --Sunday TCM

[ Edited ]

3:45 p.m. ET

With Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr and the Empire State Building playing a key role. 😄.

Trusted Contributor

Re: AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957) --Sunday TCM

Always a favorite of mine. They just don't make them like this any longer. Need a whole box of tissues every time I watch it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I start to cry at the opening credits and am a basket case by the end.  The mantilla, OMG I'm tearing up thinking about it.  

Honored Contributor

At times forum posts ask what movies make you cry.  This is one for sure.  It is very well acted and no matter how many times I see it, the tears flow!  Sometimes we need a good tear jerker as they call it.

Super Contributor

I have seen this movie so many times that I can say some of the lines with the characters.  I always cry at the ending scene and have a pile of tissues next to my chair. I watch it every time it is shown.

Honored Contributor

Remember the scene in Sleepless in Seattle when Rita Wilson tears up describing An Affair to Remember and Tom Hanks then says:"That's a chick movie!"

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee - I love this movie and have seen it countless times.  The first time I saw it was with my mom on TV.   She was a huge Cary Grant fan.  The ending makes me cry every time.  I'll be watching again.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister wrote:

@Pearlee - I love this movie and have seen it countless times.  The first time I saw it was with my mom on TV.   She was a huge Cary Grant fan.  The ending makes me cry every time.  I'll be watching again.

@twinsister This used to be on TV pretty often back in the '60s. I used to watch it with my dad. He mostly liked WWII movies but as I posted here before, he had a crush on Deborah Kerr so he'd watch it with me. 😄

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

I start to cry at the opening credits and am a basket case by the end.  The mantilla, OMG I'm tearing up thinking about it.  

@mspatmac - I first saw this with my mom years ago. I watch it every time it's on, even though I have it on DVD. I also like the Warren Beatty/Annette Bening version, but not as much.

I start crying when they visit "Janou." When she does that little trill (I'm not sure that's what it's called), it just gets me.

I love any movie with Cary Grant. My uncle was prematurely white when he was in his 50's. He resembled Cary Grant so much;  everyone told him. But he would take the teasing and say he was a lot younger! I really notice the resemblance in Walk, Don't Run. But my favorite Cary Grant movie is Operation Petticoat. He is so funny in that one!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@JCath ....."I don't like boat whistles."