Honored Contributor

Re: AMERICAN IDOL RETURNS ON 2/14/21

[ Edited ]

Sometimes it sounds like the new thing is to yell a lot and think it's singing. A lot of them do sound the same I agree.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

voted for graham, willlie, grace, and deshawn.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched last night and still really like Willie!  But I think AI is making a huge mistake in letting the 'star' singers have such a major lead in the duets.  So many of last night's  contestants absolutley faded when they sang in the duos.

Several of the contestants have great voices but not the star presence needed for an AI winner.  They need more training; acquiring more confidence and enjoying the drama of the show!

Esteemed Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Can’t stand him and still can’t figure out why he won DWTS and now is a “ mentor” on AI. If the new season is just more remote singing from their living rooms, I will pass. Maybe they should wait till it can be done in person. The show was great it’s first few seasons, but it has become more about the drama surrounding the contestants than about any actual singing talent.

@lovesrecess Bobby Bones you mean? He was on DWTS in 2018- and started as an AI mentor for a couple seasons prior. 

Trusted Contributor

@corita wrote:

I watched last night and still really like Willie!  But I think AI is making a huge mistake in letting the 'star' singers have such a major lead in the duets.  So many of last night's  contestants absolutley faded when they sang in the duos.

Several of the contestants have great voices but not the star presence needed for an AI winner.  They need more training; acquiring more confidence and enjoying the drama of the show!

@corita 

Yes I agree,  I thought many of them did well on their own,  but throwing them in with big stars on their first live show I think was too much for many of them.  I am interested to see how tonight goes,  there are several I like that will sing tonight.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I didn't think night two was as good as the first night.  I really liked Ava, Chase and Casey.  Jule was a little too loud as a coach.  I thought Josh did a great job.

Valued Contributor

To me, its down to Ava, Chase and Casey - two of them did duets wtih Brandon Boyd - perhaps he was better at showcasing his partners?  

Not taken with Jewel as a performer.  Her outfits were tacky also. 

Esteemed Contributor

@TurnerGal wrote:

@corita wrote:

@corita 

Yes I agree,  I thought many of them did well on their own,  but throwing them in with big stars on their first live show I think was too much for many of them.  I am interested to see how tonight goes,  there are several I like that will sing tonight.

@TurnerGal I liked seeing the  final 24 with the performers- it was great they were mentored by estabished stars (rather than Bobby Bones!). My daughter walked into the room, puzzled- "they're at the finals already"? ! Woman LOL

Some of the contestants shined- others not as much. I can't recall the contestant names this early on....EXCEPT  Murphy who was eliminated!Woman Frustrated

Trusted Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@TurnerGal wrote:

@corita wrote:

@corita 

@TurnerGal I liked seeing the  final 24 with the performers- it was great they were mentored by estabished stars (rather than Bobby Bones!). My daughter walked into the room, puzzled- "they're at the finals already"? ! Woman LOL

Some of the contestants shined- others not as much. I can't recall the contestant names this early on....EXCEPT  Murphy who was eliminated!Woman Frustrated

Yes,  last night when I thought several of the performances were not great,  I kept thinking that Murphy was so much better and should have been there.  Maybe they were afraid he would be too popular and he wasn't the type of talent they wanted to push forward.  He will show up somewhere else,  he should go check out the Voice.

Esteemed Contributor

I felt a few of the professionals didn't quite get the memo that they weren't there to be the star but rather to help with the contestant.  Some were great letting the contestant be in the spotlight; a couple felt they needed to grab it from them.

I went back to watch some of Tori Kelly's auditions.  Simon was just plain nasty to her.  She clearly got the last laugh.