Esteemed Contributor

Re: AMERICAN IDOL Finale 5/19

So I got the times mixed up Sunday and came into it after Adam Lambert had already performed, which would be the only reason I was watching. I waited and waited for Adam, to no avail.  I saw that the only one with true vocal talent was eliminated which left Laine and Alejandro...seriously? I watched all the other contestants from the top 10 and wondered how some with great vocal chops could have been eliminated and the show ended up with the final two, whom I believe were mediocre at best. Of course it just reminded me why I quit watching the show in the first place. I did finally manage to find Adam's performance online. Not sure how I feel about his new single. I guess it will have to grow on me. He looked great, though.

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

So I got the times mixed up Sunday and came into it after Adam Lambert had already performed, which would be the only reason I was watching. I waited and waited for Adam, to no avail.  I saw that the only one with true vocal talent was eliminated which left Laine and Alejandro...seriously? I watched all the other contestants from the top 10 and wondered how some with great vocal chops could have been eliminated and the show ended up with the final two, whom I believe were mediocre at best. Of course it just reminded me why I quit watching the show in the first place. I did finally manage to find Adam's performance online. Not sure how I feel about his new single. I guess it will have to grow on me. He looked great, though.

I don’t think you have to be a powerhouse singer to have vocal talent. AA is a weak singer but Laine has a very unique voice that has a lot of fire in it. I wouldn’t say he is weak at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Agree to disagree. It's not all about being a powerhouse, necessarily. It's about vocal expertise, including being able to hold a note and range, being versatile with genres and styles, having stage presence, showmanship, capturing the audience with the music, etc. At least Madison seemed to have many of those qualities as well as the "also rans." However, AI concluded the same way it always concludes. No surprise there. As I said, I tuned in to see Adam...and didn't even manage to do that.

Valued Contributor

So so happy Laine won!  He might not have the strongest voice in the group but at least he did not scream his songs like Madison.  And I could hear and understand the lyrics unlike AA.  Laine appeals to a wide range of audience members with country, rock, soul. In a few years he should be a super star.

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed the entire season from start to finish.  I liked both Alejandro and Laine, although it was apparent that Laine would win.  We have to remember who does most of the voting.  Judging by the audience, I'd say that's probably young girls.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@LTT1  I am so glad someone else noticed Madison's off key singing or should I say yelling.  How did she make top 3??????

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I am happy for Laine as he does fit the American Idol and he is very talented.  Madison was singing off key and I am not sure how she made it to top 3.  Alanjandro (sp?) I hope he will have a career as he will definitely have a sophisticated following.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't think Madison should have been in the top 3 but I didn't vote so I can't complain.  LOL  I thought she was often off-key and I thought her version of Shallows last night was awful.  I couldn't believe Luke said he thought she won that round.

IMO I think Alejandro did himself in by doing original songs.  When people don't know the music and can't relate, I think they are less likely to enjoy what you are doing.  I also think his personality was on the dull side which wasn't helpful.  It's my experience with listening to local bands that if you have someone who is a mediocre singer but gets the crowd going, puts on a good show and sings popular songs, people will enjoy them more then someone who is a very good singer but sings original music and is a dull/boring performer.     

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I didn't think Madison should have been in the top 3 but I didn't vote so I can't complain.  LOL  I thought she was often off-key and I thought her version of Shallows last night was awful.  I couldn't believe Luke said he thought she won that round.

IMO I think Alejandro did himself in by doing original songs.  When people don't know the music and can't relate, I think they are less likely to enjoy what you are doing.  I also think his personality was on the dull side which wasn't helpful.  It's my experience with listening to local bands that if you have someone who is a mediocre singer but gets the crowd going, puts on a good show and sings popular songs, people will enjoy them more then someone who is a very good singer but sings original music and is a dull/boring performer.     

Alejandro NEVER once looked at the audience....his eyes were closed... no rapor...never touched the audience or reached out to connect.  Emotionless. 

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@Perkup 

It was a surprise to us too!

About an hour in, votes were apparently “tallied” and Madison was eliminated as a possible winner.

@Katcat1 @Perkup @heart of savino @Pook @fortune 

Madison only needed to perfect her onstage presence so nerves wouldn’t get the better of her. I understand this.

Truthfull, she has been so off-key in the last three episodes.

In the finale, Alejandro’s song is “Ten YEArs” and it is so beautiful! What I’d like to know is this: did he arrange it with orchestra? The orchestra part fills it out and is just GENIUS.

@LTT1   He must have, they were all wearing a cap like his.