Regular Contributor

Just finished watching my dvr'd PBS American Experience "The Vote"...2 parts.  If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it.  Of course, I knew about the Suffrage movement, but I didn't know the depth of the fight and the length of the struggle. If any woman chooses to not cast their ballot, you just may change that decision after watching this 2 part series.  Thank you to all those who came before us that fought so hard to ensure we women could vote.

Honored Contributor

@DancinQueen wrote:

Just finished watching my dvr'd PBS American Experience "The Vote"...2 parts.  If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it.  Of course, I knew about the Suffrage movement, but I didn't know the depth of the fight and the length of the struggle. If any woman chooses to not cast their ballot, you just may change that decision after watching this 2 part series.  Thank you to all those who came before us that fought so hard to ensure we women could vote.

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth.  I had no idea what these women went through.  Men treated them like ******, treated horribly while locked up and yet they kept going.  I thank them too.

Honored Contributor

DancinQueen

I have this two part series on my DVR..  I have seen documentaries on the suffrage movement and yes, it was a long difficult road for women.  I am glad PBS had this on and hope a lot of people watched.  These women are my heroes and I am thankful for all they did and how dedicated they were to give us the vote.  Might I add, thank God we have the vote.

Trusted Contributor

Amazing series. All I could think is I'm not sure I would have been so courageous. 
these women were incredible. 

Honored Contributor

Why did women have to fight that hard?  Why did they have to fight at all?

To think women couldn't get a credit card until 1974.  Ditto for a car loan or admitted to a hospital without a male signature.  

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

To think women couldn't get a credit card until 1974.  Ditto for a car loan or admitted to a hospital without a male signature.  

Not true!  At least not in the part of the country I lived in!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Not true!  At least not in the part of the country I lived in!

I don't know about the hospital, but I remember not being able to establish credit as a woman without a male co-signer.

Respected Contributor

Re: AMERICAN EXPERIENCE

[ Edited ]

When I was 21 in 1967, I opened my first credit card to establish credit.  I was single, working, had an income.  Lord and Taylor was the first credit card I owned, followed by Bonwit Teller and Saks. I was able to finance my Pinto as well in my name only as a single woman and without a co signer.  Later I had a Exxon gas credit card which was in my name, not my husband's.  I think it depended where you lived, States set their own rights which is why we needed the ERA, so there would be a Federal Law in all 50 states.

The program was excellent!  It did not come as a surprise to me that woman had no rights and were considered chattel.

Esteemed Contributor

Until I was 22 I lived in MD (always a pretty progressive state).  Once,when I returned to MD briefly, I applied for a Visa card (early 70s)and they wanted my Dad to co-sign.  He was so incensed that his college grads daughter who had lived overseas for six years needed this guarantee that he almost pulled all his accounts (the bank where I applied for credit) where he'd been banking for over 30 years.  I had other similar experiences, too many to share.  Some things have definitely changed for the better!