Honored Contributor

Re: AMC JONESTOWN 9PM PST SATURDAYS

@colliemom4 wrote:

@mousiegirl  Several people associated with Jim Jones/Jonestown were on Dr. Phil several days ago. You can probably find the repeat show online somewhere if you're interested. Here's a little info about what was on the show.

https://www.drphil.com/videos/i-felt-trapped-in-jonestown-says-survivor-of-1978-massacre/

@colliemom4   These people are in the Jonestown documentary describing the experience.

Honored Contributor

I never could or can understand why people didn't leave before they went to Jonestown when Jones told them to give up everything they have and give the money to him.  When someone wants money, run away, run away.

Respected Contributor

Agreed that money ought to be a warning bell but it is often as simple as "Believe me, I know what's best for you" and they follow.  By the time it's "give me your money", they are too indoctrinated to recognize reality from the story they have so far believed.  The story seems safer and they don't have to or aren't allowed to question so life seems easier to just follow along.  It's really scary how people don't see it happening to themselves when they are in the thick of it. 

I've been caught up in it once in my life when I was young many years ago.  Looking back, I can't believe it took me as long as it did to step back and realize the nonsense.  When the people around are policing your thoughts, it takes courage to speak your own mind, think without pressure, and use the brain God gave.  Now my Acute Nonsense Radar is always on high alert and it serves me very well. 

Honored Contributor

thanks for mentioning this.

i have it set to record. looks like there are four episodes.

on my on demand there is also a documentary called JONESTOWN: THE WOMEN BEHIND THE MASSACRE. it is from 2018 and is 85 minutes long.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@mousiegirl  Several people associated with Jim Jones/Jonestown were on Dr. Phil several days ago. You can probably find the repeat show online somewhere if you're interested. Here's a little info about what was on the show.

https://www.drphil.com/videos/i-felt-trapped-in-jonestown-says-survivor-of-1978-massacre/

@colliemom4   These people are in the Jonestown documentary describing the experience.

@mousiegirl  I'm watching it now. Very creepy that his followers called him dad.

Respected Contributor

A cautionary tale apropos of our time. Charlatans, cons, cultists, fake religionists have always existed. No shortage of them today and they survive and thrive by duping people into denying the evidence they see and hear with their own eyes and ears. There are certain personality types prone to buy into it. Scary.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  It was very interesting. Thanks for posting about this.