Honored Contributor

ALL DAY "ANDY HARDY" FEST. MICKEY ROONEY, JUDY GARLAND TUESDAY A.M. EASTERN TCM

A relief from Tuesday TV tedium:

ANDYHARDYMEETSDEBUTANTE_00291342_1418x1087_091820071637.JPG

6:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Andy Hardy Meets Debutante".   Youthful dynamo Andy Hardy (Mickey Rooney) is smitten by a New York sophisticate!

Seen in retrospect, the "Andy Hardy" series with Mickey Rooney, Lewis Stone, and a revolving collection of costars including the sweetly luminous Judy Garland, is such a charmer. 

Seeing a rambunctious, somewhat chaotic teenager in a home with a loving (but with no illusions) mother, and a wise, calming force for restraint in a father (Lewis Stone as "Judge Hardy") is refreshing.

"Debutante" is followed by all the rest, including "Andy Hardy's Private Secretary",  "Life Begins for Andy Hardy", and on and on.  

Funny and infused with Mickey Rooney's inimitable energy and charisma.   

Honored Contributor

Re: ALL DAY "ANDY HARDY" FEST. MICKEY ROONEY, JUDY GARLAND TUESDAY A.M. EASTERN TCM

Your description of the Andy Hardy movies is perfect!  They are fun, enjoyable, pure entertainment.  I haven't seen all of them but the few I have I enjoyed.  I wonder if this was the happiest time of Rooney's life making these movies with Judy.  It seems they both loved what they were doing.  Sadly both had many issues at the end of their lives.

Respected Contributor

Re: ALL DAY "ANDY HARDY" FEST. MICKEY ROONEY, JUDY GARLAND TUESDAY A.M. EASTERN TCM

We cut the cord and no longer get cable, but I remember watching the Andy Hardy movies when I was a kid--Sunday mornings, I think. They'd air along with the Blondie movies. Fun entertainment!

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
We cut the cord and no longer get cable, but I remember watching the Andy Hardy movies when I was a kid--Sunday mornings, I think. They'd air along with the Blondie movies. Fun entertainment!

They are fun entertainment.  I enjoy them.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I have nothing of value to add to the discussion other than to say I have always been truly amazed at the talent of Mickey Rooney. He could sing, dance, do comedy; whatever the role required, he was always more than up to the task.

Having watched him in so many fun, light, pure entertainment roles, then to see him in some of his later, darker dramatic roles; never fails to leave me in awe of his versatility.

By the way, it is Diana Lewis, the future wife of William Powell, who plays Daphne, the object of Andy's infatuation, in "Andy Hardy Meets Debutante."

Honored Contributor

Cool, @Highlands72 -- I didn't know that!

Honored Contributor

Thanks Highlands72 - 

I will have to check out "Andy Hardy Meets Debutante".

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

I caught bits and pieces of the movies all day.

What a talent he was and such a cutie!

While not a huge fan, he was amazing.