Trusted Contributor

I hope he's one who can beat this deadly disease.  It will be a sad day if he has to leave Jeopardy.  Prayers to him and his family.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

i HATE HEARING ABOUT  THIS !  Mods should not allow people to post about deteoraiting health conditions.

@Reever   Then why are you here???

There are two threads ongoing here about Alex so let the others know how the mods shouldn't allow that one to be here, too.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I truly admire and respect him. I feel he is struggling and trying to remain stoic. He loves his family and his job so much.

Trusted Contributor

@beach-mom Thanks for posting that photo and info.  His dad made every game.  The daughter was younger, if I remember correctly. and wife was so nice  Living where I do we encounter many celebs-of various demeanors.  Just wanted to let others know how Mr. Trebek touched my heart with his kindness toward my daughter and all around him at the ballpark.  I got to witness the interactions because I would go into the stands and scorebooth.  He's one of the genuinely kind ones. God Bless him.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

i HATE HEARING ABOUT  THIS !  Mods should not allow people to post about deteoraiting health conditions.

There are two threads ongoing here about Alex so let the others know how the mods shouldn't allow that one to be here, too.

LOL LOL   How amusing.  LOL  Maybe she just didn't see it.  My response, to @Reever  rather than yours @Cakers3  would be "why should someone not post something just because you don't like it? Just skip the thread since you can tell what it's about given its title."

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

LOL LOL   How amusing.  LOL  Maybe she just didn't see it.  My response, to @Reever  rather than yours @Cakers3  would be "why should someone not post something just because you don't like it? Just skip the thread since you can tell what it's about given its title."

Many of us view these boards as an escape from financial problems, health problems etc. Coming here and reading about serious health problems bothered me thats why I posted what I did.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm sorry to read that Alex isn't feeling well. He truely is a beloved Canadian and everyone wishes him well.

When my family was in Las Vegas this past June, my daughter and I decided to get tickets to see the NHL Award show at the Mandalay Bay convention center. It was a lot of fun and one of the highlights was seeing Alex Trebek there in person.

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Many of us view these boards as an escape from financial problems, health problems etc. Coming here and reading about serious health problems bothered me thats why I posted what I did.

You shouldn't have oened this thread about someone going through a usually terminal disease if that's the case.

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@kjae wrote:

He recently said that he will work as long as he can and that his time here is nearing the end.          For the record, he is truly a kind man. Years ago-maybe 15, his son played baseball at a field here in California where my family volunteered .  Over the course of the summer season we would see him often.  He would sit down behind home plate near my daughter who was scorekeeping and talk to her. Eventually he moved down into the score box each evening and visited with her.  The man was always so kind.  Always a gentleman, sincere and not phony.  He had a loving  wife and a sweet son and daughter.  Remember one evening they were planning his upcoming birthday party.  He was quite a character-in a good way.  I am so sorry he has cancer.  

@kjae - Here's that young boy now - Matt Trebek, owner of Ojo restaurant in NYC! He said he became interested in the food business when he worked as a bartender during college. He's 29. You're so lucky to have great memories of him and his dad!  Smiley Happy

Fordham graduate Matt Trebek sits on the bar at Oso, the Mexican restaurant he opened in 2016 in the Harlem's Hamilton Heights neighborhood.

FWIW, I think the restaurant is OSO, in case anyone wants to find it.   It's in Harlem where MT lives.

Respected Contributor

I battled an aggressive cancer and I truly admire the way he's handling this disease.  The first thing I told my family was that I didn't want to see any FB postings of my condition.  Face it, after my second chemo it was pretty clear to anyone who saw me that I was probably battling cancer - the baldness kind of gives it away.  

I also believe that since he is a TV personality that if he doesn't put out his truth, there will be many a "rag magazine" that would be willing to do it for him and the speculation and stuff they make up has gotta be rough on the family.   I personally don't know how he is doing it bc a few days following each chemo it was rough for me just to get out of bed.  I believe him continuing to work is good for him in that it gives him a purpose and a reason to keep getting up and is something to keep his mind off this horrid disease.  Kudos Alex!