Honored Contributor

I like him and feel for his medical situation, especially as a cancer survivor myself.

I've read recent interviews he's given that he knows he is "diminishing" (his word).

I noticed in the last 2 episodes (Thurs. and Fri.) that to me, personally, he seemed a bit "off."

Things he said that were not like him, hard to explain what I mean. Nothing snarky just a bit "off."

It may be he's not feeling well during taping and trying to hide his discomfort.

I wish him all the best.

Respected Contributor
Correct. Alex Trebek wasn't snarky. And he wasn't "off," either. I watch every episode, and there was nothing he's said that wasn't "like him." Had there been, I'd certainly be able to be specific about what I'd heard.

And BTW, in his latest announcement, he stated that sores as a side effect of chemo had been making enunciating a little more difficult for him.

The man has enough challenges without some people imagining, and implying, that his demeanor is "off."

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

@Moonlady wrote:
Correct. Alex Trebek wasn't snarky. And he wasn't "off," either. I watch every episode, and there was nothing he's said that wasn't "like him." Had there been, I'd certainly be able to be specific about what I'd heard.

And BTW, in his latest announcement, he stated that sores as a side effect of chemo had been making enunciating a little more difficult for him.

The man has enough challenges without some people imagining, and implying, that his demeanor is "off."

ITA

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I read where he just started ANOTHER round of chemo...

That’s not a good sign I think.  I thought he was supposed to be finished!

Trusted Contributor

He recently said that he will work as long as he can and that his time here is nearing the end.          For the record, he is truly a kind man. Years ago-maybe 15, his son played baseball at a field here in California where my family volunteered .  Over the course of the summer season we would see him often.  He would sit down behind home plate near my daughter who was scorekeeping and talk to her. Eventually he moved down into the score box each evening and visited with her.  The man was always so kind.  Always a gentleman, sincere and not phony.  He had a loving  wife and a sweet son and daughter.  Remember one evening they were planning his upcoming birthday party.  He was quite a character-in a good way.  I am so sorry he has cancer.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

i HATE HEARING ABOUT  THIS !  Mods should not allow people to post about deteoraiting health conditions.

Esteemed Contributor

I am wishing him the best as he struggles along his cancer journey. His intelligence, wit and charisma has delighted my family and me for more than thirty years.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@kjae wrote:

He recently said that he will work as long as he can and that his time here is nearing the end.          For the record, he is truly a kind man. Years ago-maybe 15, his son played baseball at a field here in California where my family volunteered .  Over the course of the summer season we would see him often.  He would sit down behind home plate near my daughter who was scorekeeping and talk to her. Eventually he moved down into the score box each evening and visited with her.  The man was always so kind.  Always a gentleman, sincere and not phony.  He had a loving  wife and a sweet son and daughter.  Remember one evening they were planning his upcoming birthday party.  He was quite a character-in a good way.  I am so sorry he has cancer.  

@kjae - Here's that young boy now - Matt Trebek, owner of Ojo restaurant in NYC! He said he became interested in the food business when he worked as a bartender during college. He's 29. You're so lucky to have great memories of him and his dad!  Smiley Happy

Fordham graduate Matt Trebek sits on the bar at Oso, the Mexican restaurant he opened in 2016 in the Harlem's Hamilton Heights neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

i HATE HEARING ABOUT  THIS !  Mods should not allow people to post about deteoraiting health conditions.

@Reever.    Alex has been quite open about his journey and condition.  I don't think discussing his condition is objectionable at all since he, himself, discusses it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's going to be hard to watch the last show he hosts. Being so forthright, I assume he will simply make the announcement and thank the viewers and crew. Of course, with everything being taped, the news will leak out.