Honored Contributor

AGATHA CHRISTIE'S EXOTIC MYSTERY DOUBLE FEATURE WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Bette-Davis-Maggie-Smith-Death-on-the-Nile-1978.JPG

8:00 p.m. Eastern --   "Death on the Nile"  Peter Ustinov, Bette Davis, David Niven, Angela Lansbury, Maggie Smith, Jack Warden, Jane Birkin, George Kennedy, Lois Chiles, Mia Farrow, Jon Finch, Olivia Hussey, Simon McCorkindale

Screenshot_2021-01-06 Evil Under the Sun (1982).jpg

10:30 p.m. Eastern --  "Evil Under the Sun"  Peter Ustinov, Colin Blakely, Maggie Smith, Roddy McDowell, James Mason, Diana Rigg, Sylvia Miles, Jane Birkin, Nicholas Clay

A winter's eve of mystery and mayhem courtesy of Agatha Christie and her premier sleuth, Hercule Poirot.  I've a bit of a bent toward the magnificent David Suchet as Poirot, but multi-talented Ustinov is superb casting as well.  

Even without remembering all the ins and outs of these byzantine plots, I know there's a lot of undemanding fun and escape in any Poirot mini-marathon, especially with casts like these. 

Honored Contributor

Re: AGATHA CHRISTIE'S EXOTIC MYSTERY DOUBLE FEATURE WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

@Oznell. I'm a huge Christie fan and remember seeing each of these films only once, at the movie theater when they first came out. Having read the books, i was disappointed in each film and never watched them again on TV. But I think I'm ready to give them another try tonight so thanks for the heads up. So many of each cast are deceased now. I'd especially  like to see Diana Rigg again.

Honored Contributor

Re: AGATHA CHRISTIE'S EXOTIC MYSTERY DOUBLE FEATURE WEDNESDAY 8:00 P.M. EASTERN TCM

I much prefer David Suchest s Poirot  I have DVD of the series.  He's the best in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

Good, I do think going into them with not overly great expectations is the way to enjoy these, @Pearlee !   From my very fuzzy recall, they are not great art or anything.  I'm imagining that the chance to see some really craftsman-like old pros like Bette Davis and Maggie Smith, Angela Lansbury, Jack Warden, etc. is the main appeal--  that, and some possibly entertaining 'campiness' and nice art direction....

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I read all of the Miss Marple and Poirot mysteries. On a visit to London, I saw The Mousetrap. I agree that David Souchet was the best Poirot, truest to the author's descriptions. One of the best Agatha Christie mysteries ever filmed was Murder on the Orient Express, the version made in the 1970s. Try to watch it because the cast is wonderful, the writing is excellent, and the ending will not disappoint.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @Vivian ,  that was a surprisingly good one.

Honored Contributor

DS is the best Poiret. No question. We own many,if not all. After this is over (Ustinov one) we are going to watch it w/ Suchet. He is also great in "Perfect Murder". Shows his acting range.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man