Honored Contributor

Re: ACCLAIMED NEW MOVIE ABOUT OPPENHEIMER

I know what the actual real decay of society involves these days, so I will see this movie and support this smut.
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I watched an excellent documentary on MSNBC a couple of weeks ago, called "To End All War: Oppenheimer & The Atomic Bomb".  They may be showing it again or have some way to view it.  He was a very interesting character.

ETA: I noticed that MSNBC is showing this doc again, twice this Sat. evening (7-22-23) check listings for your local times.

@aubnwa01 

I don't see it listed in my program guide.  What time is it airing in your area?

@geezerette  I just checked & it looks like MSNBC might've rearranged their schedule overnight.  It's now scheduled to air tonight, Friday 7-21-23 at 7pm-9pm & again at 10pm-12am Pacific Time, which is my time zone.  Check your program guide for tonight & see when it airs in your local area.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I watched an excellent documentary on MSNBC a couple of weeks ago, called "To End All War: Oppenheimer & The Atomic Bomb".  They may be showing it again or have some way to view it.  He was a very interesting character.

ETA: I noticed that MSNBC is showing this doc again, twice this Sat. evening (7-22-23) check listings for your local times.

@aubnwa01 

I don't see it listed in my program guide.  What time is it airing in your area?

@geezerette  I just checked & it looks like MSNBC might've rearranged their schedule overnight.  It's now scheduled to air tonight, Friday 7-21-23 at 7pm-9pm & again at 10pm-12am Pacific Time, which is my time zone.  Check your program guide for tonight & see when it airs in your local area.

@aubnwa01 

Thanks, I just found it myself and was coming here to say that!😄

I'm in the central zone and it's on at 9 pm tonight and again at midnight here. 

👍

Honored Contributor

I'm also wondering how you make a movie about the father of the atomic bomb without it being "dark".

Happy happy joy joy I invented the atomic bomb, dance number ensues. Jazz hands, cute animals

Talk about trying to sanitize reality
"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've seen "Doctor Atomic" (the opera) a few times, and I loved it. I'm waiting for "Oppenheimer" to present the same story.

Super Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

@LorelaiGilmore ,  “Barbenheimer” 🤣🤣🤣.  Please Give us your review of both please!! 

I'm not going to get to go until probably next weekend since I'm on a road trip, but I'll try and remember to come back here and do that. Smiley Happy 

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Esteemed Contributor

I know we will see it I just don't know whaen.  Glad he came to work for the USA and didn't work for the NAZI'S.  

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

@Oznell @Thank you for the heads up! 

Honored Contributor

@Alsace Gal wrote:

@Sooner 

My dear sister and I never went to theaters, we won't sit on upholstered seats where other butts have been, people are dirty. Same goes for any place with upholstered seats, doctors offices, etc.

If it ain't vinyl or leather and only if we can clean it with a wipe there will be no sitting on it. 

My reaction to this has me shaking my head and rolling my eyes.

Respected Contributor

@Lakelife62 - It is you who have "jumped the shark" here. As you directed your comment to me, I will respond. 

I do not feel that scripted sex scenes portrayed on a movie screen are Art, and most certainly such scenes are not comparable to "classical Art" found in museums such as masterfully carved marble statues or paintings of nudes, by, say, Titian, Donatello, or by Rubens. I truly appreciate Art, and i have personally studied Art. Classical Art is static. Movie scenes are kinetic. You are very wrong about me and your comment is just plain wrong. 

That said, many women in the US have been raped or are victims of attempted rape (estimated at 1 in 5 women - source: NSVRC). They may not want to see torrid sex scenes on the screen, either. Victimized women don't want to be triggered by such scenes. As I have not seen the movie, yet, I have no idea how involved the scene in question actually is, or what effect it might have on such women. My point is that some women are victims of rape, and their reluctance to see sex on the big screen may have everything to do with past trauma. You and others here are unfairly insinuating all women who are against watching these gratuitous scenes in movies as if they are all of the same prudish mindset. I disagree with that sentiment, wholeheartedly.

Movie content is important to consider before purchasing a ticket, or even watching it on TV. I am very glad that someone here reminded me of that fact. Most parents do this for their children, but how many adults do this for themselves? I am happy someone here gave me the reiminder that I do, indeed, need to do that.

A movie about the creation of the atom bomb (an extremely grave topic) should be focused on that topic.

To each their own. I hope everyone who sees the movie enjoys watching it.