Super Contributor

ABC’s MISTRESSES Renewed For Third Season

By Patrick Munn | September 30, 2014 - 5:30 pm |

Mistresses - S2 (FT)

The network has renewed the Alyssa Milano fronted Summer series for a third season, TVWise has learned. ABC has ordered 13 episodes for the show’s third season, matching the orders for seasons one and two.

Based on the British series of the same name and developed for US television by K.J. Steinberg, Mistresses follows the scandalous lives of a sexy and sassy group of four girlfriends, each on her own path to self-discovery. The drama series is produced by ABC Studios and stars Alyssa Milano, Rochelle Aytes, Yunjin Kim, Jes Macallan, Jason George and Brett Tucker.

With the renewal, ABC has gone three-for-three on their Summer scripted series. The other two dramas the network aired over the quieter summer months were Motive and Rookie Blue both of which are returning next summer – Motive for its third season and Rookie Blue for its sixth season.

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/09/abcs-mistresses-renewed-third-season/

==========================================

Mistresses Renewed for Season 3

The forecast for Summer 2015 is steamy with a high chance of exposed man-torso.

ABC announced today that it has renewed its addictive sudser Mistresses for Season 3 — guaranteeing some resolution to the multiple cliffhangers faced by sisters Savi (Alyssa Milano) and Joss (Jes Macallan) and their close friends Karen (Yunjin Kim) and April (Rochelle Aytes) in the show’s sophomore finale.

RELATED Mistresses EP Talks Shocking Season 2 Finale: ‘Soap Operas Live and Die on Unforgivable Acts’

The renewal comes a month after the show’s Season 2 finale — which aired on Labor Day — drew 3.5 million total viewers and a 0.8 rating, dipping a tenth in the demo week-to-week, but down 10 and 27 percent from its freshman finisher (which did not air on a national holiday).

Like Seasons 1 and 2, Season 3 will consist of 13 episodes; it will air in Summer 2015.

RELATED Castle Premiere Recap: When the Mystery Writer Becomes the Mystery

mistresses-joss-harry-kiss

When we last saw the show’s four central protagonists, Joss had fled her wedding to nice-guy Scott and was locked in a steamy embrace with ex-brother-in-law Harry — while sister Savi unwittingly headed down to the beach where the verboten duo were crashing wave against shore (so to speak). Karen, meanwhile, learned she was HIV-negative — but then her doctor threw in a cryptic, “something else came up…” As for April, she’d learned that presumed-dead-but-secretly-on-the-lam-from-a-drug-kingpin ex-husband had been murdered (for real) — and then got the double whammy of having her pre-teen daughter Lucy learn the whole truth via local TV report. (Read the full recap here.)

Executive producer K.J. Steinberg told TVLine in August that the show’s writing staff “would never have written [the Season 2 finale] to be an ending to the series. We architected it for a Season 3. And we have hope that we will get one so we can continue to tell these stories and play out these dramas.”

Steinberg added that in the wake of Joss and Harry’s hookup, “Watching how the [four central] women are going to navigate it in terms of their friendship” would be “the centerpiece of Season 3.”

RELATED Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 of Your Returning Favorites

“How long does it take for people to forgive after a betrayal or a transgression? And how does that path to forgiveness happen?” Steinberg wondered. “That’s what I think is the interesting part and that’s going to be the dramatic part to watch — if the forgiveness thing ever happens. And God knows if Joss will ever forgive herself.”

Excited about this renewal news? Any ideas for Season 3 story arcs? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Honored Contributor

Re: ABC’s MISTRESSES Renewed For Third Season

Yay. Thanks for posting this.

Honored Contributor

I am a happy camper, the writers left off with some good material for next summer.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

My only regret is that Mistresses isn't a regular, full-season, 22-episode show. It's so good, it should be on from September through May. Mistresses is much better than some shows that ABC anoints with regular season status. Perhaps they'll consider an upgrade someday.

Respected Contributor

Keri - you are the best!!! Thank you so much for posting this. I love this show.

Respected Contributor

Alyssa Milano is not returning for season 3. She posted the following on Facebook:

"After two wonderful seasons in Los Angeles, the studio has decided to shoot season three of Mistresses in Vancouver, Canada, for financial reasons. It's with a heavy heart that I have decided that I can't relocate," Milano wrote . "I have two babies under 4. Being a mother and wife comes first and I just cannot uproot my children and separate the family by moving away. I will miss this job desperately and wish everyone the absolute best."

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Super Contributor

On 10/1/2014 lainey said:

Alyssa Milano is not returning for season 3. She posted the following on Facebook:

"After two wonderful seasons in Los Angeles, the studio has decided to shoot season three of Mistresses in Vancouver, Canada, for financial reasons. It's with a heavy heart that I have decided that I can't relocate," Milano wrote . "I have two babies under 4. Being a mother and wife comes first and I just cannot uproot my children and separate the family by moving away. I will miss this job desperately and wish everyone the absolute best."

I will sure miss Alyssa, Savy was my favorite character. Her reasons for not wanting to move are certainly admirable though.

Frequent Contributor

I don't see how they can have another season without Alyssa Milano.

I agree with her reasons for not returning.

Respected Contributor

So I wonder if they will cast a new Savy or write her character off? Maybe on her way to the impending doom of finding her ex with Joss she gets hit by a wave and knocked out to sea? Or someone new takes over by the time she gets to the two lovers!

Honored Contributor

I completely agree with her reasoning for not moving to Canada.

However, I think they should just recast the role. No reason to write her out. I cannot imagine the show without her character. She figures greatly in the Joss with Harry scenario and how that pairing would affect the dynamics of that group.