Esteemed Contributor

Re: A remake of The Wizard of Oz

I've been buying  DVD's of some of  the  old  classic Disney movies that I remember as a child for my Grandchild. I don't want a new version .

Honored Contributor

There's already been a remake, The Wiz.  Not interested in yet another one.  It seems like a lot of "new" TV shows and movies are also remakes.  No thanks.  I saw a small portion of the Dirty Dancing remake and it was AWFUL!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan345 wrote:

If it were true to the books I would like this.  The was a movie "Return to Oz" that was not nearly as popular but was true to the original books.

As a long time OZ fan that has read most of Baum's books I would buy the movie. 

That being said there are tons of fans of the original movie that won't agree.

The 1939 film was not true to the books.  The books are so much better then that film!  Dorothy never dreamed she went to Oz.  She literally did go there.  There were never Ruby slippers, but silver slippers (got changed in film to look more dramatic)  In the book, there were 4 witches that ruled.  The North Good witch, the South good witch.  The East & West witches were sisters & they were both bad.  In the book, Dorothy landed in Munchkin Land, but she she traveled to other lands including the South. (not in the film)   The books were a series. 

Esteemed Contributor

Why ruin a good thing. Most people already know it won't be good.

Honored Contributor

I saw that the other day and all I could do is shake my head and wonder why.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@simplyfriends  Gee why so touchy? Many of us don't like remakes. Ok? Ok! Do you have some personal interest in the remake?

@Love my grandkids  She has a right to voice her opinion just like you do. Why so mean?

Honored Contributor

It is not a Disney film.

I never understood why it is such a popular film.

Altho I liked the musical w/MichaelJackson and Nipsey Russell.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Super Contributor

With all the remakes the last few years, it seems to me they're just running out of ideas for movies.  Same with TV shows.  All these new "reality" shows are just fillers until someone can come up with a new idea/concept for a regular TV show.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

NO NO NO! It's a classic, it's fine the way it is; leave it alone.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Respected Contributor

@simplyfriends wrote:

it's hard for me to believe the negative comments about remaking a movie. It's not like they're using your money. If you don't want to watch the remake then don't watch it. 

People will ignore it in droves.