Honored Contributor

Re: A remake of The Wizard of Oz

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Why not, you can still watch the older version, and the remake might be good. 

Because it won't be an improvement. They shouldn't mess with an iconic classic.  

Frequent Contributor

If it were true to the books I would like this.  The was a movie "Return to Oz" that was not nearly as popular but was true to the original books.

As a long time OZ fan that has read most of Baum's books I would buy the movie. 

That being said there are tons of fans of the original movie that won't agree.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I heard this earlier today. Made me wonder why not bring Wicked to the screen vs messing with the classic 1939 movie?
Honored Contributor

I personally have never liked the movie and I do not like remakes.

Respected Contributor

The challenge with trying to remake a "classic," is that it is almost impossible to avoid comparisons, and the new model will never achieve the same kind of greatness.

My mother saw WofO when it first came out, and she said part of the wonder was that almost all movies were black and white at that time, so having the colors explode on the screen was a truly breathtaking experience for the audience.

Also, the music is not only iconic, but so well known as a part of the story that nothing can replicate it!

However, I will wish them the best...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

IMHO, leave well enough, alone!  I loved it as a child and still do.  I bet  our younger/youngest generations do too!

Esteemed Contributor

A remake  will likely include someone's agenda . No thanks,  whose ever idea this was to remake  , I say  use your own   creativity " come up with your own brilliant   story  for a movie  and don't corrupt  a classic . "

Valued Contributor

it's hard for me to believe the negative comments about remaking a movie. It's not like they're using your money. If you don't want to watch the remake then don't watch it. 

Super Contributor

Im in

Honored Contributor

@simplyfriends  Gee why so touchy? Many of us don't like remakes. Ok? Ok! Do you have some personal interest in the remake?