Respected Contributor

A question for those who were watching HGTV many years ago.

Can anyone remember the name of the show where a family would go and spend either a night or maybe it was for the week-end in a completely different house than their own?

I seem to remember the show was called House Swap or something similar to that.   

I guess the point of the show was for the family to get a different view of life by staying in another house.  

I'm not referring to the show called "Celebrity Wife Swap", that was a competely different show.    

The show I'm trying to remember didn't last very long.    I guess it just wasn't very interesting to most people, but I did enjoy it.   

The reason I am asking about this show is because I am wondering if I could still find episodes on YouTube.

Honored Contributor

Re: A question for those who were watching HGTV many years ago.

Was it Trading Spaces?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the baywrote:

Was it Trading Spaces?

Yes, I think that was it.

Respected Contributor

Rich House Poor House.

It's a show about people with very different lifestyles swap houses to see how the other side lives.

Trading Spaces was about two couples (friends or relatives) redecorating one room in the other's house with the help of a designer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember that show.  I thought it was kind of ridiculous.  Who would let someone into their home to re-do a room without any input at all from the owner?   

I dread to think of what my best friend would come up with!! LOL

Honored Contributor

I remember the show but not the name. I thought this might be a good time to ask about other shows? Crafts. There was a lady named Carol who did crafty things and eventually broadcasted from her home in Michigan. Also a lady whose name is on the tip of my tongue who really did crafty things, hammer and nails sometimes. She had black hair and the show would begin with her at the garden gate. These people taught me how to stencil and decoupage. I had so much fun. All gone now. thnx

Honored Contributor

Those days at the start of HGTV - it was so much fun to watch. Don't know why it changed but it's certainly terrible now. House hunters has become so scripted it's really best to watch with the sound muted. I still like to watch House hunters international though to see how people live in other countries. 

Regular Contributor

Trading Spaces is returning to TLC......

PASADENA, Calif. – Get ready to trade more spaces and watch some home-renovation magic.

TLC’s first big hit, Trading Spaces, which created a cottage industry of home-renovation shows when it premiered in 2000, is returning April 7 after a decade off the air to a changed world.

Yes, neighbors still swap houses and have two days to renovate a room in each other’s homes before the big “reveal.” And  familiar faces, including Ty Pennington, Vern Yip and Frank Bielec are back.  But the budget has doubled, to $2,000, and homeowners feel more comfortable mixing things up.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the advertisement last night and that the original cast would be back.  I did not see Hildy, thank goodness.  Remember the room that she did with feathers covering all of the walls?

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirlwrote:

I saw the advertisement last night and that the original cast would be back.  I did not see Hildy, thank goodness.  Remember the room that she did with feathers covering all of the walls?

OMG, yes, or the room she did with the artificial flowers glued on the wall? Guess she never thought walls would become dusty.

Hildy was nasty and not a decorator IMO. She made ppl cry.