Respected Contributor

A Star is Born w/Barbra S and Kris K

Took me awhile, but I finally watched A Star is Born with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson on demand at TCM.  I guess I had never watched this version because I am not a big Barbra Streisand fan.  She's OK as an actress, but her singing I'm not fond of.

Anyway, I was surprised at how bad Kris Kristofferson sounded.  I know he wrote some good songs, but at least in this movie I didn't care for his singing.  Yet I do understand he was playing a character being consumed by alcohol and drugs, I guess thats why he didn't sound good.  They just seemed like such a mismatched couple.  He liked the fact she was a wonderful singer and thus fell in love with her, but seeing them together seemed like a bad fit to me.  Does anyone else recall this movie?  I did not see the Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper version.  I think they probably had more chemistry together.

I did enjoy seeing that era in time played out.  When people lit matches or held lighters at concerts.  The cars.  The clothes.  The hairstyles.  Like a blast from the past.  I think seeing it once was enough for me.  I guess if you are a Streisand fan you would really enjoy it.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Re: A Star is Born w/Barbra S and Kris K

IMO, the Bradley Cooper/Lady GaGa version is absolutely the best!

The chemistry between those two had rumors circulating around the world and the singing/music was great!

I loved it so much I bought the movie and often watch it when I'm bored or nothing else on TV catches my interest.

I'm not a Barbra S. fan either, but have seen the movie, no comparison, IMO.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I loved the movie at the time it came out.  It would probably appear dated now.  Just like so many old t.v. shows that were really great at the time --- but would they be appropriate and great now --- probably not!  I am not a fan of re-making movies and t.v. shows though.  I think once something is made, it's made.  They should move on and make something original.  Not keep re-hashing the same thing over and over.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Now your have to round out your viewing experience by seeing the original movie version with Judy Garland.

Occasional Contributor

Probably my all-time favorite.  Always cry at this version of "A Star is Born".  Have watched over and over and it always effects me the same. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ninjawife wrote:

Now your have to round out your viewing experience by seeing the original movie version with Judy Garland.

@ninjawife: Actually, the Judy Garland version was the second movie. The original, made in 1937, starred Fredric March and Janet Gaynor. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Diva on The Q  Actually, there was an even earlier one.  1932, What Price Hollywood? starring Constance Bennett.  I think that was the first version of the story although there may have been a silent version??

The one you mentioned with Gaynor and March (one of my favorites) is an excellent, non-music version.  I have not seen the last two incarnations of this story and have no desire to do so.  I'll stick with Garland and Mason.

And, BTW,  like Streisand as a singer, not so much an actress.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Diva on The Q  Actually, there was an even earlier one.  1932, What Price Hollywood? starring Constance Bennett.  I think that was the first version of the story although there may have been a silent version??

The one you mentioned with Gaynor and March (one of my favorites) is an excellent, non-music version.  I have not seen the last two incarnations of this story and have no desire to do so.  I'll stick with Garland and Mason.

@kaydee50: Thanks for the info. I'll have to check that one out. I  also enjoyed the one with Fredric March. He's always been one of my favorites.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom - ITA - I loved the Bradley Cooper/Lady Gaga version as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I adore the original movie of this, have seen the the Striesand one, and have not seen the Gaga one.