Esteemed Contributor

A Small Light on National Geographic

This is a miniseries starting on May 1st. It is a biographical drama miniseries set to premiere on National Geographic and streaming on Disney+ and Hulu the following day.

Depicts the story of Miep Gies, who is asked by her employer Otto Frank to shelter his family during World War Ii. 

Cast: 

Bel Powley as Miep Gies

Liev Schreiber as Otto Frank

Joe Cole as Jan Gies

Billie Boullett as Anne Frank

Ashley Brooke as Margot Frank

The previews look very interesting. It airs at 9 PM to 11:30 PM ET.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Small Light on National Geographic

[ Edited ]

I'm glad to see this show is coming. Miep Gies has never received enough of the public recognition she deserves. She's a hero.

There's a second hero that might not be portrayed in the series. Her character might be blended into Miep's character or not included at all. Bep Voskuijl is her name.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D I recall Bep being mentioned in Anne Frank's diary. Series looks wonderful.

Honored Contributor

@elated Saw the previews and have it set to record. Have read The Diary of Anne Frank at least a dozen times.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting.  This story can never be told enough.

Esteemed Contributor

Did anyone watch it last night?  I thought it was excellent. There were scenes  where I feared for their safety. The time frame was from 1941 to 1945. The actors are very talented.

Frequent Contributor

I am enjoying this production.  Very well done.

Esteemed Contributor

This is the best mini series I have watched. It puts me on the edge of my seat. The previews from next week are heart wrenching.

Honored Contributor

I am confused by the actress playing Miep Gies who appears to be in her early to mid 20s.

I thought Miep Gies was a much older woman, maybe in her mid 30s to early 40s when she was hiding Ann Frank & crew.

Also, I could have sworn in The Diary of Ann Frank movie (the one w/Shelly Winters & Ed Wynn), Miep Gies was a blond.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I am confused by the actress playing Miep Gies who appears to be in her early to mid 20s.

I thought Miep Gies was a much older woman, maybe in her mid 30s to early 40s when she was hiding Ann Frank & crew.

Also, I could have sworn in The Diary of Ann Frank movie (the one w/Shelly Winters & Ed Wynn), Miep Gies was a blond.

@Mz iMac   Miep was 33 years old at the time the Franks and all went into hiding. The actress is 31 years old but she does look younger.

Miep herself said that none of the movies etc. accurately told the story.

As far as her hair Miep was a blonde as a child but I believe her hair darkened later as an adult.

This series posts before each episode that some characters have been added or changed which would have supported what Miep said in real life.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh