Honored Contributor

A Post from Someone Who Was with Elvis 45 Years Ago Today

[ Edited ]

[I found the post below touching and interesting.  You might, too.  Elvis would unexpectedly die two days later.  Billy Stanley was the step-brother of Elvis.

The photo below shows Elvis with his parents.]

May be an image of 4 people, child, people standing and text

⚡45 years ago, on this date 8/14/77, I remember driving out of the gates of Graceland in a state of enlightenment and confusion. It was around 8pm and I had just finished talking with Elvis.

This conversation was different though, it wasn't about cars or football, or women. It was about love, forgiveness and what his hopes and dreams were for our future. I had never had this kind of talk with Elvis, before. As I was standing there with him, he gave me a big hug and he told me he loved me, and he hoped I knew that. I told him, I knew that, and I always have. I told him, I love you too, Elvis. I always have. Tears came to his eyes. It upset me to see him like that, so I told him a joke, to change his mood.
He gave me a little chuckle then said, you are funny little (blank), Billy, never change. I said, okay Elvis. As I was driving home, I thought to myself. You should have given Elvis a hug before you left. I almost stopped the car and turned around, but I said. I'll see him on the 16th, I'll give him a big hug then.
Sadly, I never got the chance to give him that hug.⚡
~Billy Stanley~

Honored Contributor

Re: A Post from Someone Who Was with Elvis 45 Years Ago Today

Touching and inspiring.  I think the message is for us to always let our loved ones know how much we care about them, are here for support and to listen, and to let them know we love them.  There are many people who regret not expressing their love and when someone passes, you feel that regret even more.  I know I experience that regret every now and then. This is what I thought as I read the post.

Honored Contributor

@golding76 Thank you for this touching share....great reminder to let our loved ones know how much they mean to us while we have the chance. Elvis looked like both of his parents as a young child, but more like his dad as an adult.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

As I recall it, Elvis was BLASTED BY CLERGY for his "gyrations"...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi   You are right...amazing how times have changed...very mild by later standards.  I think he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in his early years and his signature moves created quite an uproar.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Desertdi   You are right...amazing how times have changed...very mild by later standards.  I think he appeared on the Ed Sullivan show in his early years and his signature moves created quite an uproar.

@phoenixbrd    I watched that show!    But there was a "great debate" by my parents beforehand whether I would go to hell or not!    (I recall that the camera was focused more on his head and shoulders.....)     di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi   That's funny....but a lot of people shared your parent's concern. It was his claim to fame, plus he had a wonderful voice but I wonder if he would have become a star without the moves. 🕺🏻

Honored Contributor

Very touching post. DH and I loved Elvis. 🕺🏼🕺🏼

Honored Contributor

@golding76,

Thank you for this post. So many of us loved Elvis!

• Elvis Presley  Aloha from Hawaii   Signed Original A4 PHOTO image 1