Honored Contributor

Watched it yesterday-recorded it.Raymond Burr is of course fabulous. This was a film he did to kinda audition for Perry Mason. When he questions the people you can see and hear Perry. Although, I have read that he auditioned for the role of Hamilton Burger.

Hollywood myth says the when Gardner heard him he said,"That's my Perry Mason!".

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

Re: A Place in the Sun

[ Edited ]

Love this movie.  Hard to believe poor Montgomery Clift got the death penalty.  It actually WAS an accident in the movie.  In the true story not so much.  

Valued Contributor

One of my favorites!

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  Love this movie for many reasons including Burr.  I think it was several years before Mason and in the meantime he did Godzilla!!  He actually was in several movies in the 40s, mostly playing the "heavy."

@FranandZoe  I think it was quite ambiguous in the movie.  It may have been an "accident" but as portrayed Clift didn't seem to make any special effort to save her and had been thinking about killing her.  In that day and age, the death penalty was definitely an option.

A fascinating movie regardless.

Respected Contributor

Re: A Place in the Sun

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

@FranandZoe  I think it was quite ambiguous in the movie.  It may have been an "accident" but as portrayed Clift didn't seem to make any special effort to save her and had been thinking about killing her.  In that day and age, the death penalty was definitely an option.

He did though.  It was dark - he couldn't see her.  True enough he had been thinking about it but the death penalty?  

Furthermore it was her fault!

Honored Contributor

Great film, but another one that TCM reruns way too often. 

Honored Contributor

Great replies. Thank you all. The reason for the cane was Burr's weight which had started to go up,up,. The book,"Hiding in Plain Sight" is about his life.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.