Respected Contributor

Re: A Non-Word I Hear Only on Court Shows!

@Spurt wrote:

...."conversate" kinda irks me too...The Merriam Webster site calls it a "back-formation".

The inclusion of this word in a dictionarylike the inclusion of other dialectical words popularized by music or poetry, is not an argument for its acceptance: it's a recognition of the fact that it exists.

Im glad Judge Judy makes the litigants use correct grammer.....

..I also love how Judge Judy corrects them....and another word the millenials use that drive me up the wall that they use CONSTANTLY is "Basically" and Judge Judy gets them on that too....she deals in facts! 

Yes, love JJ and I too get a kick outta when she scolds people for this, using unnecessary filler words.  Ex---when she says to just tell her what happened, either P or D will say,  "Well, basically..... and she will stop them & say "I don't want "basically"!. LOL

Another example of stupid things that are said:  When JJ asks either P or D a question and they answer with---"well, to be honest...and JJ will interrupt them & say sarcastically, "no, I want you to LIE to me!"  

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I keep hearing plaintiffs and defendants on The People's Court and Judge Judy saying "conversate"! It's stupid and it's not a word!

I do lilke it when JJ tells the person "There is no such word" and they are able to actually say "We had a conversation" instead of "We were conversating".

I admit I am almost ****** about grammar and often mentally correct someone's grammar, of course I don't do it aloud in person! I do say it out loud to the TV!!

I know I'm picky about this! Anybody else?

@Love my grandkids   It is a word and your punctuation is incorrect.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

OK then, i had no idea it was an actual word. To me it just sounds uneducated. But hey that's just me! Learned something new today.

That it's a "word" means nothing.  ("Supercalifragilistic" is a word too, but it's still nonsense.)  Conversate is to converse what speakate is to speak. 

Respected Contributor

@jlkz 

Along these lines, when I worked in banking in 2004, the head of Retail Banking sent an email to all of us to remind us that  "when we are finished, send the report to Carol and myself".  I had recently (2002) moved back from 7 years in Europe and wondered where the heck that came from.  Little did I know that in 7 years grammar had taken a dive and "myself" had become the most missused word in American English.  I still cringe when I here that word missused and it is most of the time.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 Oh horrors, I made an error in punctuation!! Take me out and beat me with a stick LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

I loved grammar when I had it in school, I always enjoyed learning about all that it entails.  I also love to read.

I do cringe if someone speaks improperly and will correct he or she if I know he or she  won't be offended.  I think we all know how to speak properly but sometimes are lazy and use slang.  I do it myself.  However, I do appreciate those who use proper grammar. and Conversate makes my ears hurt!

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I loved grammar when I had it in school, I always enjoyed learning about all that it entails.  I also love to read.

I do cringe if someone speaks improperly and will correct he or she if I know he or she  won't be offended.  I think we all know how to speak properly but sometimes are lazy and use slang.  I do it myself.  However, I do appreciate those who use proper grammar. and Conversate makes my ears hurt!

@spiderw No offense, but it's "will correct him or her."

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Some words just grind me to hear how they are used.  Lucky for me, my age helps me forget some of those. LOL

Honored Contributor

My favorite non-word is one used almost exclusively by reporters and news anchors. It's "efforting." Watch a few hours of news and you're bound to hear a reporter or news anchor say, "We're efforting to learn more details." I think that they think it makes their job sound harder. Instead of saying, "We're hanging around the news van with the rest of the media waiting for a press handout," they say they're "efforting" to learn more.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 Oh horrors, I made an error in punctuation!! Take me out and beat me with a stick LOL!!!!

@Love my grandkids   The point is that you feel errors regarding the use of certain words sounds "uneducated".

I think most of us regular folks have at one time or another have used the wrong word, the wrong punctuation, the wrong grammar, etc.

If we are going to point out others flaws, we have to take a look at our own.

Just sayin'.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh