Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 4, Friday Night Dinner

Delilah sees a pizza peel from their traditional pizza nights and moves it to an obscure spot, unable to deal with the memories and guilt. When Sophie notices, she fights with her mom over trying to erase her dad's legacy from their lives. Gary and Rome hatch a plan to get Delilah and Regina in the restaurant to help with renovations.

Regina is still furious at Delilah over the affair, but even more that Delilah didn't reveal that Jon was distant the past two years in their marriage. Eddie revisits the bar where he used to hang out. He flashes back to six months ago when Jon notices Eddie's drinking problem and has him kick the habit. Sophie visits Eddie and Katherine's house for an impromptu guitar lesson and a talk.

Maggie is informed that her cancer is aggressively returning and she has three to six months to live if no treatment is sought. After Rome's meeting with Maggie, he confesses to Regina that he's unhappy with his job. Regina then visits Delilah and apologizes for not seeing her pain earlier and offers to help her get Pizza Night back on track.

After dropping Sophie off at her house, Eddie and Katherine give in to their son's request to join them for dinner. Shortly thereafter, Gary and Eddie make amends, and Rome announces that he quit his job and he'll make his movie one way or another. Once the pizza is made, dinner night proceeds and they all give a toast to Jon.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 5, The Game of Your Life

So you thought things get any more awkward/sordid between Eddie and Delilah? Allow one peed-upon pregnancy test to change the game. Yep: As we learn at the end of Wednesday’s episode, Delilah is with child. Is it Eddie’s? Is it Jon’s? We have no idea — nor any idea of whether sheknows.

Meanwhile, despite pulling off a small miracle in order for working mom Katherine to be able to watch Theo in his school play, Eddie is given his official marching orders from his marriage and winds up couch-surfing at Gary’s.

Speaking of Gary: Maggie now knows that he knows her cancer is back, and even though he plans a romantic day full of hot-air ballooning and deep-dish pizza-eating, she refuses to agree to more chemotherapy in order to treat her illness. The fact that Gary pledges to be by her side through the worst of it does little to sway her; in fact, hooking up with him and meeting his friends “made me realize that I would rather keep the life I have right now than waste it fighting for a future” she probably won’t get, she reasons. 

But Gary can’t accept that, so he challenges her to a game of basketball. If he wins, she’ll agree to undergo chemo. If she wins, he’ll be OK with her decision to forego treatment. That whole “not knowing much about each other” thing rears its ironic head again when it quickly becomes apparent that Maggie’s got game. And that makes sense, given that she reveals she was a D-1 basketball player at Brown. (Thank goodness one of the show’s writers thought to have Gary point out the incongruity of a very short woman being a college b-ball phenom.)

Maggie wins with a three-pointer from the top of the key, and Gary tries to abide by the rules they agreed upon, but he just can’t. So she tearfully thanks him for a wonderful day and leaves. The next morning, however, she wakes up to a can of grape soda (her favorite) and a balloon outside her door. The attached Post-It note reads, “I’m in,” which makes her smile.

Elsewhere in the hour, Rome attends his first real (thank Freud!) therapy appointment and takes his first dose of antidepressants. And though he freaks a bit when he thinks that Regina is preggo, he gets over it… but then is relieved when she informs him that the test belongs to their widowed friend.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 6, Unexpected

Note to viewers: If you ever want to keep something secret, make sure you don’t tell Rome. Because the guy is incapable of zipping his lips, as evidenced by his spilling of Delilah’s big secret within the first few minutes of this week’s episode. But Rome’s got a secret of his own, remember? And yep — that one is out in the open by the end of the hour, too.

While Rome and Gina prepare for game night at their house, he admonishes her for failing to ask Delilah who her baby’s father is, adding, “Montel Williams made an entire career off of that question. How could you not ask?” (Ha.) Gina makes him promise he won’t say a word, but the man has zero chill. So when everyone shows up, after they celebrate Eddie’s booking an opening gig, Rome can’t help but blurt out that Regina isn’t expecting. “Then whose pee did Gary touch?” Eddie asks, clueless. “Can I talk to you for a second?” Delilah whispers. 

When they’re alone, Eddie is super into the idea of his best friend’s widow having his baby born of adultery. “Maybe everything happens for a reason,” he starts, but she shuts him down: “It’s Jon’s baby.” The party falls apart, and on the way home, Eddie cries over the realization that Delilah was cheating on himwith her husband.

Gina’s mom, Shelly, shows up for a surprise visit. This does not make Regina happy. Shelly is pushy and passive-aggressive, offering her unsolicited opinion on everything from the lighting in Regina’s restaurant to the state of her daughter’s marriage. And when Shelly gets wind that maybe Rome isn’t as against having children as he previously was — those few minutes when he thought Regina was knocked up apparently changed his mind a little — Regina’s mom just can’t stop herself from meddling. Her passive-aggressive hint-dropping so infuriates Regina that she eventually blows up, and Shelly leaves.

Regina and Rome are about to leave for Eddie’s gig when she walks into the living room, crying and holding Rome’s suicide note in her hands. Confused and angry, she yells at him and cries, then he’scrying, and it’s a rough scene. “Sometimes, for some reason, I feel so sad,” he confesses. She makes him look her in the eye so she knows he’s listening when she says, “You are not the best part of my life. You aremy life. And I will not lose you.” He sobs. They hug.

Maggie and Gary volunteer to watch Theo (Katherine’s out of town on a work trip) during Eddie’s concert. And Gary supports his bud by going to the soundcheck earlier that day, as well — though he leaves soon after on a “secret errand.” But Eddie’s still feeling shaky shortly before he’s supposed to take the stage. As it happens, Eddie’s freak-out about never having performed sober coincides with Theo’s bout of night terrors. And since the kid is up anyway, Maggie and Gary decide to bring him to watch his dad’s show. Seeing his kid steadies Eddie, who plays a sweet acoustic song called “unexpected.” And oh, look: Delilah is in the crowd, too!

Let’s back up a minute. That “secret errand” Gary went on? He was accompanying Delilah to her gynecologist’s office for an abortion. She got as far as lying on the table and being hooked up to IVs and such, but she eventually changed her mind — a development she reveals while they’re in the car on the way home.

So after Eddie’s concert — which went very well, thank you — Delilah meets him back stage. He reassures her that he’ll be there for her no matter what, even though he didn’t bake the bun in her oven. “There’s nothing you can say to me that will change the fact that I love you,” he vows. Then she confesses that she and Jon actually weren’tsleeping together: “This is your baby.”

It’s not a happy moment: They both realize that they’ve already hurt so many people with their affair, and the knowledge that it’s Eddie’s kid will just make everything worse. “I know,” Eddie says. As far as their friends and families are concerned, “The baby hasto be Jon’s.”

Also important to note: Jon was in greater financial trouble than anyone realized. While Ashley is at Delilah’s, Delilah is on the phone with the bank: There’s some kind of hold-up with the restaurant, but they’re looking into it. Ashley doesn’t know who Barbara Morgan — aka the mystery woman named on Jon’s life insurance policy — is, and as she slyly feels out, Delilah doesn’t, either.

When Delilah pukes in front of Ashley, there’s no use in hiding: Jon’s widow tells his assistant that she’s pregnant. This seems to light a fire under Ashley, who considers telling Delilah about the blue envelope Jon left for her — then thinks better of it — and then spends the rest of the hour investigating her boss’ not-so-financially-solvent side. This includes finding a mailbox chock full of overdue and unpaid bills.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 7, I Dare You

A silly game of one-upmanship turns life-or-death serious in this week’s story when Gary — as we all knew he would — can’t let Maggie’s chemo refusal go unchallenged. But then Rome winds up in the hospital, and it’s a whole thing. On the upside, Eddie and Delilah hear their baby’s heartbeat for the first time, and they get a whole minute or so of happiness before the tears and hushed, painful conversations resume.

Maggie and Gary wake up at his place, and we get a few minutes’ worth of banter before he reminds her that she’s living on borrowed time, thanks to her decision not to undergo chemotherapy. This manifests as his daring her to call a talk-radio psychologist she hates and tell her off. 

So she does. She calls Dr. Stacy with a fake problem related to her boyfriend’s dog, and proceeds to call out the woman as a charlatan. But the radio doc has a hot (and correct!) take on Maggie’s man: “You’re afraid to fully give yourself to this relationship!” Maggie continues her tirade but gets cut off; though the exchange wasn’t as satisfying as she’d hoped, the dare-a-thon is on! Maggie challenges Gary to man a lemonade stand and choose a new ringtone to use instead of his jarring alarm clock.

Rome wakes up with a stomachache, and an already on-edge Regina worries. She decides to stay home and watch him, meaning she can’t accompany Delilah to her first ultrasound as planned. Rome’s pain is so bad that he nearly passes out in the bathroom; he’s on the phone with Maggie at the time, which confuses Gina. But she heeds the shrink’s advice to take Rome to Boston General Hospital, where she meets them.

During the triage interview and exam, Gina blurts out that her husband tried to kill himself recently. Given that Rome is hesitant to answer the nurse’s questions and the recent suicide attempt, the doctors want to give him activated charcoal (turns out, they don’t really pump stomachs for suspected overdoses anymore). When Rome vows he didn’t take anything, the nurse asks Gina for the OK to give him the charcoal.   A distraught Gina tells the medical staff to do whatever it needs to make him better.

So Rome is ordered to drink the charcoal, a move the show somehow plays for comedic effect. And while Gary and Eddie are chiding their pal into downing the foul substance, Maggie is confessing to Regina in the waiting room: She knew about the suicide attempt, and she’s the one who referred him to Dr. Heller. Regina is less than happy about the revelation, but puts off her anger. “I need to use all of my energy to make sure that my husband is OK,” she tells Maggie.

Gary is convinced that Rome’s pain stems from a kidney stone, and he believes his friend when he says that he only drank the charcoal for Gina’s sake. “I don’t want to die,” he asserts, and Gina hears him as she walks in the door. 

Over a lunch of ramen, Gary and Maggie process that they both knew Rome’s secret but didn’t tell each other. Then Gina calls and delivers the news that Gary’s diagnosis was correct, and while she’s on the phone with her friends, Rome loudly passes his kidney stone.

Rome is discharged, but Gina isn’t feeling much better. “I need to figure out who we are,” she tells him, which sounds a wee bit dramatic, but the woman has had a bit of a 36-hour period, no?

Then it’s time for another dare. She points to the woman yelling order numbers over a public-address system. “I dare you to steal her microphone and sing ‘I’m Still Standin’,’ your version, wrong lyrics and all,” Maggie challenges her man. So he does… and Maggie sings back-up. (Side note: If James Roday and Allison Miller were actually singing, which it sounds like they were, well done!) Their fellow ramen-slurpers clap along and chime in on the “yeah, yeah, yeah”s.

The dare thing turns a little too real when Gary notices a lingering bruise on Maggie’s arm, physical evidence of her advancing illness. So she dares him to show the world he’s not afraid of anything.

So he graffitis “Maggie was here!” on the side of a building 15 stories up. She’s tickled. “That is exactly what I want the time I have left to feel like. I was here, damnit, until I wasn’t,” she says. Then she instructs him to dare her, and make it something really hard. “I dare you to get chemo,” he says, which upsets her greatly. “Game’s over,” she says, walking away. “I’m done playing.”

He stops her, but she’s still real angry. “Dr. Stacy was right. You’re so scared,” he says. “Of course, I am,” she admits. “I thought you, of all people, would understand that.” And then I thinkthey break up (again)?

While Gary chaperone’s Danny’s first date with the boy he likes, Rome and Gina go out for a “let’s try to start over” evening, and Maggie sees her bruises in the mirror at home and freaks out. Then she flashes back to moments with the friends she made five minutes ago she loves, and she maybe comes to a decision? 

Eddie is jazzed that his set at the club went so well. But his excitement is tamped down rather significantly when he realizes that the interest an agent is showing is mainly because that agent’s young male vocalist — the dude we met briefly backstage in the previous episode — wants to record Ed’s song.

After both he and Delilah arrive at the hospital to support their friends, Eddie winds up accompanying his baby mama to her ultrasound. They both get teary over hearing the heartbeat, but they still agree that no one can know that the kiddo isn’t Jon’s.

“Whatever we did, whatever happened, we also created a life,” Eddie tells Delilah afterward, promising to do whatever’s necessary to support her.

Then he goes to the club where young singer dude is drinking with friends, and agrees to sell him his song — even though young singer dude is going to mess with it. As a parting shot, Eddie advises him to stop drinking so much. Otherwise, he’ll end up like him, “selling a great song to someone like you.”

Meanwhile, one of Katherine’s hot co-workers flirts with her, but she tells her assistant (hi, Sam Pancake!) that she’s got no time for that nonsense. Still, she and Hot Co-Worker go out for a bite at the same ramen place where Gary is nursing his broken heart with a bowl of broth. 

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 8, Fight or Flight

Gary is so bad in ways both understandable (yelling at Maggie because he’s afraid of her death) and highly problematic (sleeping with someone convenient because he’s afraid of Maggie’s death) in this week’s episode, giving Eddie a run for his money as the group’s maker of the absolute worst decision possible in most situations.

But hey, there’s still a restaurant to open and a menu to lock down, so why wouldn’t the friends all get together in one room, drink lots of wine and hope for the best? 

As the hour opens, Maggie is flying in a two-person plane with a guy we haven’t met before. They have a lovely time until a storm pops up, and the guy — who’s in the pilot’s seat— is having trouble controlling the aircraft. (It also probably doesn’t help that he’s swigging from a bottle of Jack Daniels as the plane loses altitude.” “Chad, I can’t help you if you won’t let me,” Maggie cries. “How can I help you if you don’t even know which way is up?” She screams for him to pull up, mentioning that she’s got to get to the movies (which is our most blatant clue that perhaps the scenario isn’t real), but they tip into a sharp nosedive nonetheless. A moment later, Maggie wakes up in her Boston apartment: The entire thing was a nightmare.

Elsewhere, Eddie is showing Gary an apartment that he wants to rent. But Gary is too busy trolling dating apps to pay much attention to what his friend is saying. “I’m back on the market,” he notes, “and the ladies love to shop.” Eddie chides him to call Maggie instead, but Gary doesn’t want to talk about it, so Ed assumes that Gary messed things up with the shrink. “You’re always so fast to assume that it’s my fault,” Gary says, after a few borderline nasty comments about Eddie’s sobriety and current couch-surfing. “Well guess what, you don’t know!”

Gary then heads to Maggie’s apartment, where she hears him say “I can’t not care” through the door when she pretends not to be home, and her workplace, where her colleague informs him that she quit. So he does the next logical step: He hops a plane to Chicago, stalks her ex and demands that he come back to Beantown to talk some sense into Maggie.

Tom (aka the guy who brought Mags the grape soda a few episodes back) is relieved to hear Maggie isn’t dead, but he’s not willing to trek east for another intervention. He does mention, though, that Maggie’s trouble letting people in has to do with some guy named Chad, who “did a number on her.”

Back in Boston, Maggie’s insistence that she can’t see Rome as an unofficial patient anymore causes Regina to show up at her apartment, demanding to know why. “You give me one good reason you can’t keep seeing my husband,” Gina says. “Because I’m dying,” Maggie says as she starts to cry. 

Gina shares the news with Rome and Delilah, who join her in ambushing Maggie at her place. She assumes that they’re there to try to convince her to get chemotherapy, but she’s overwhelmed when all they want to do is drink wine, eat bread and cheese and hang out. Maggie starts to sob, startling the others. This wasn’t supposed to happen, she explains, “I didn’t think that a guy I hooked up with in a church bathroom would lead me to friends who would support me in living the rest of my life in the way that I wanna live it.”

She adds that she’s been pushing them all away because she wants to save them the pain of her eventual passing. She also makes a vague reference to not being able to save someone in her past, and knowing how much that hurts. Gina tells her that she can choose to forego treatment, but she can’t choose to evict them from her life.

That night, when Maggie has the nightmare, suddenly Rome is in it, too… grabbing her hand and helping her try to right the plane when it goes into the dive. “We are in this together,” Dream Rome tells her before she wakes up.

|The next night, Rome appears at Maggie’s apartment to chauffeur her to an intimate tasting/trial run Regina has planned at the restaurant for her friends. But Maggie is too busy putting things in boxes: She’s pre-packing all her stuff, she explains when pressed, so her parents don’t have to sort through her belongings after she dies. Rather than trying to stop or distract her, he joins in — and makes a point of telling her that even though she wasn’t able to save the person in her past, she saved him.

So Mags changes her mind, gets all dolled up and joins everyone at the tasting party. Eddie is there (and he’s been filled in about her cancer, too), as is Katherine and her work honey Hunter. Wow, Regina’s food must be reallygood if it can get Katherine to be in the same room as her adulterous husband AND the woman he was sleeping with.

Then Gary shows up, but he doesn’t want to engage with Maggie. “I’m not gonna care more about your life than you do,” he says. He doesaccept Eddie’s apology for assuming the breakup was his fault, and he tells Ed he can crash on his couch for as long as he likes.

Everything goes relatively smoothly until Gary learns that almost everyone else in the friend group now knows about Maggie’s illness — and her choice — and they’re OK with it. “You’re really going to stand by and watch this woman kill herself?” he yells. “Shame on all of you!”

Maggie doesn’t return his anger until he brings up “some loser named Chad,” then she yells back that he has no idea what he’s talking about. He then spits that she’s right… because he doesn’t know her at all. He stalks out, followed by Ashley, who asks if he wants to grab a drink. “No, I’m already sweating and screaming at people,” he replies (ha), but he changes his mind when he learns it’s her birthday.

By the end of their episode, they’re stumbling into her apartment and kissing like they’re getting paid by the smooch. At one point, Gary seems to pull back and reconsider, but then he dives right back in. We don’t actually see them hit the sheets, but that’s probably what happened, no?

Meanwhile, Rome drives Maggie home. On the way, she tells him the full story: Chad was her brother, he was a 19-year-old alcoholic who used booze to self-medicate for his depression, and he wrapped his car around a tree while drunk driving on an evening she was out with friends at the movies.

“Since then, I’ve pretty much spent my life trying to keep people from hitting the tree,” she says tearfully, explaining that he needed her and she wasn’t there. “Is that why you won’t save yourself?” Rome asks gently. She seems to consider that for a while, then smiles. “See you Friday at 1?” she asks as she gets out of the car.

Back at the restaurant, Katherine admits to Hunter that she used him to make Eddie jealous — he doesn’t seem to mind — and then gives him a little kiss before he leaves. Then Katherine sits down for dessert with Gina, who inadvertently tells her that Delilah is pregnant but quickly adds “with Jon’s baby.” “Wow,” Katherine says, “and I thought mylife was complicated.” 

Meanwhile, at her place, Maggie falters, then faints, landing on the floor alongside the shards of the water glass she was holding. She has the nightmare again, but this time, Chad tells her that she could never have saved him. Then he puts on a parachute and says, “This is where I leave you,” and opens the door of the plane.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 9, Perspective

Gary has two major wins in this week’s episode — but, for now at least, he’s only aware of one of them.

Good Thing No. 1: Gary has been cancer-free for an entire year. Woo!

Good Thing No. 2: Maggie changes her mind and starts to undergo chemotherapy, the way Gary’s been badgering her to for the past several episodes.

Now that I think of it, the hour is a series of wins for just about everyone in Jon’s tightly knit group of friends. Eddie makes a decision about his music career. Katherine gets a professional outcome she desired. Heck, Delilah even gets hit on by a former Man in Trees. Everybody wins! 

The morning after his hookup with Ashley, Gary gives himself a breast self-exam in her bathroom: It’s a year since he went into remission, he tells her once he comes out, but she already knows: “Who do you think set Jon’s calendar?” Turns out, Jon attended every one of Gary’s chemotherapy appointments; throughout the episode, we see a bunch of them.

Basically, Jon did everything he could to distract Gary from the terror that accompanies such an insidious disease. This included putting up a painting of the Charles River so that Gary wouldn’t have to look at a blank wall during treatment, and learning all the words to Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’ “Can’t Hold Us,” which Jon raps along with a jolly nurse. Whenever things get dark, as they do when an impromptu dance party abruptly ends when Gary starts puking, Jon reminds his friend that “You’re going to beat this” and “Just watch: You’re gonna outlive me.”

Rome and Eddie are hanging out when Gary returns home. He’s no longer mad about everyone supporting Maggie’s choice to forego cancer treatment — chalk it up to extended afterglow. “You had sex with Ashley?” Eddie says, astonished, noting that Jon said that his assistant was off limits. “You had sex with his wife,” Gary shoots back, which, fair.

Gary doesn’t want to talk about Maggie, despite his friends’ attempts to bring her into the conversation, but he does want to make plans for the Bruins game that evening. Eddie and Rome both bail, saying they’ve got other plans, and that incenses Gary. “One good thing about Jon not being alive is that he doesn’t have to see this,” Gary spits.

Over at Katherine’s, the working mom is having trouble finding someone to watch Theo while she does some important, lawer-ly thing at work — and she doesn’t want to ask Eddie. So when he stops by the house later that day, he finds Hunter and his son hanging out with Theo. And if Eddie feels threatened, he probably should: Hunter makes a mean TIE fighter-shaped grilled cheese, which is pretty cool. 

When Ed confronts his soon-to-be-ex about her choice of babysitter, she points out that Hunter is only there until her mom can show up. And when he notes that they need to work on their communication, she agrees: After all, she found out about Delilah’s baby from Regina, not him. You can see Eddie freak internally for a moment before Katherine says that she knows it’s Jon’s baby. (Phew.)

The thing Katherine is worried about at work, by the way, is her chance at making partner at the firm. And the promotion looks like it’s going to happen… until she says that she needs two hours each night to be home for dinner with Theo. She promises to work late into the evening to make up the time, but the partners’ committee says they need “someone who is fully committed to the job” and gives her the evening to think it over. After she gets off the phone, Hunter can’t figure out why she’s smiling so much if she didn’t get the coveted position. “Because I just got my life back,” she says. Later, Katherine removes her wedding ring and puts it in her jewelry box.

Meanwhile, Delilah chauffeurs Maggie — who apparently recovered just fine from the fall she took at the end of last week’s episode — to western Massachusetts to speak to a college class about complicated bereavement. On the way, they stop to get gas, and a handsome stranger (played by Big Little Lies‘ James Tupper) hits on Delilah until he notices that she’s still wearing her wedding ring.

Once the women are at the school, Maggie realizes her dry talk is boring the students. So she steps out from behind the podium and tells the entire room about Chad and the relief she felt when she found out he’d died. “And that relief just makes me feel worse,” she explains, making herself the poster child for complicated bereavement. She later adds that there are a lot of feelings she hasn’t processed “because I am too ashamed to admit that I have them.”

In the car on the way home, Delilah tells her friend that Jon suddenly got distant two years before his death, and she has no clue why. “Everybody thinks that I cheated on Jon, but he left me,” she says. “And then he left me again seven weeks ago.”

Gary, mad that his friends have abandoned him, takes Ashley to a bar and buys a round of tequila shots for everyone. With horror, he wonders if Jon’s comment about Gary outliving him meant that Jon was trying to tell him about his suicide plans — even that long ago. Ashley says she asks herself the same thing every day: “Was there a side to Jon that we didn’t know?” Then she asks him about Barbara Morgan (you’ll remember her as the strange name on the insurance policy), but Gary says he’s never heard of her.

Eventually, Gary sees the Bruins ring on Ashley’s keys — though that’s really Jon’s, right? — and asks her if she wants to go to the game with him. She says yes… but then fields a secret call and pulls a fast one so they end up back at his place instead of at the arena. Once they enter the apartment, all of his friends are there for a surprise party to celebrate his year of being cancer-free.

Maggie is there, too, and Gary hugs her. But — talk about complicated bereavement — Gary’s got a lot of feelings about everything that’s going on, and they all spill out as he makes a speech to his assembled pals.

“This is all so sweet, but I am so angry at the person who is not here. I am so angry at Jon!” he yells, eventually yanking Jon’s Charles River painting off the wall and breaking the frame over his knee. “You convince me to live, and then you left me!” Eddie says, starting to cry. “We made plans and I thought they were the same plans, and apparently they were not.” He completely falls apart as Eddie moves in to hug him; Rome stands nearby with a hand on his sobbing friend’s shoulder.

By the end of the hour, Eddie has decided to take his old bandmate up on his offer to return to Red Ferns and tour as The Lumineers’ opening act. Delilah has chosen to keep wearing her wedding ring. Rome has come clean to his dad about his depression. And Maggie has texted Gary, “Hey,” a brief missive he ignores. What Gary doesn’t know: Mags sent that from the same treatment center he attended. Yep, she’s started chemo after all.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 10, Christmas Wishlist

Gary and the gang arrive at the Dixon house to make the Christmas season easier on the family following Jon's death. Sophie has a flashback of her dad wearing a Santa suit, causing her to leave the party upset. Eddie tries to see her through it and they end up playing guitar together. Gary also has a flashback of Jon, he walks away to Jon's office to have some alone time and sees Ashley on the phone with a banker.

Gary hopes for some answers from Ashley about the day of Jon's suicide, but she tells him to make sure his family has a good time. Gina hopes to be intimate with Rome, who admits his sex drive is limited due to his medication. Later, Maggie assists Gary in buying more Christmas lights. She doesn't reveal that she has begun chemo until she vomits in front of Gary in his new car. Meanwhile, Eddie takes Delilah to the hospital. Sophie follows to the hospital and is informed her mother is pregnant.

Back at the Dixon house, the Christmas party resumes. Sophie, in a much better mood, teams up with Eddie and puts on a yuletide concert. Delilah is served an eviction notice, despite Ashley's pleas to the bankers. The next day, Eddie goes on tour with his band. Rome vows to Gina that he'll return to the man he once was. Later, Gary hangs up Jon's repaired picture for Maggie and sits with her during chemo as her moral support. Ashley then flashes back to a moment with Jon.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 11, Secrets and Lies

This week's story uses a community 5k for suicide prevention as a backdrop for the gang’s ongoing search for meaning in Jon’s death. There are some heavy-handed bits (so many references to getting people “over the finish line,” both metaphorically and literally!), but we also get more concrete answers to what the heck Ashley has been up to every time she’s acting squirrelly. And that, alone, is worth a victory lap. 

The hour opens with a video that Jon shot of himself, and it looks like he might be in the apartment he showed Ashley at the end of Episode 10. “Let me just start by saying, I’m sorry. I abandoned you. I know for a long time, I’ve owed you some answers. There’s probably nothing I can say that can make this make sense, except just, I’m sorry, Barbara,” he says. Wait, what? 

While Delilah is out for a run with her kids, she thinks about running to Katherine for help with the bank’s foreclosure on the house. Apparently Jon leveraged his family’s home against a larger commercial loan, and Delilah signed off on it — though she says she often signed papers Jon told her to, and she had no idea what she was approving. Katherine reassures her she’ll figure it out. 

The gang is prepping to run a road race to benefit suicide-prevention efforts, but Gary thinks Maggie should sit it out, given that she’s got a chemo round the day before. But she’s determined to complete the run, explaining that among the chemotherapy’s side effects, lacing up her sneakers and pounding the pavement is the only thing that makes her still feel like her. At this point, she’s lost her hair and is wearing a wig; Gary gets a glimpse of her bald head when she doesn’t know he’s looking, and he’s visibly affected by the visual. Soon after, he changes his mind and becomes Running Maggie Superfan #1.

Meanwhile, Katherine lets Delilah know that they’ve gotten a 60-day extension on the foreclosure, and that the commercial loan Jon took out “was for some properties he was underwater on,” Katherine says gently. The amount? $18 million (!), which Delilah now owes, because he used her personal assets to secure the loan. And the bank will take everything, she adds, including the life-insurance payout Delilah was relying on to reclaim her home.

Gary doesn’t believe that Jon would’ve left his family stranded like that. “He had a plan for everything!” he emphatically points out. But Delilah gets very angry very quickly as she notes that she’s been crushed by the weight of her guilt over the affair, thinking it had led Jon to end things, but it turned out he’d created his own mess. She then ejects Gary from the meeting at Katherine’s office.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 12, The Day Before

Like its title promises, “The Day Before…” takes us back in time to just before Jon committed suicide; in other words, the characters are the people they were, in the situations they were in, during the pilot. Rome is contemplating offing himself. Maggie and Gary haven’t met. And Eddie is still tuning Delilah’s six-string on the regular, if you catch my drift, as they both plan to let their significant others know about their illicit love. 

As Maggie moves into her Boston apartment, she’s on the phone with her new oncologist’s office. She was in remission for six months before her cancer returned, she tells them, and is in the process of scheduling chemo when her father shows up unexpectedly and says he’s there to help her pack. They have a good time until Dad notices the Panda, which it turns out Chad got for Maggie at a carnival when they were kids. Then there’s some crying, but things end well — though she can’t bring herself to tell him that she’s sick again. Also of interest: Maggie is much closer, apparently, with her father than with her mother. Still, when Dad leaves, Maggie gets to work, repacking almost everything they unpacked.

On his last morning on Earth, Jon gets a voicemail from whomever Constance Zimmer is playing. She tells him she can’t do what he wants her to, and that he should stop calling. This makes him very mad. But still, he tamps it down and tells Delilah that he will make sure to meet her at a restaurant for dinner that night. “We really need to talk,” she stresses. “I couldn’t agree more,” he replies. When Jon leaves for work, Delilah calls Eddie. “We’re really doin’ this, huh?” he asks, and they trade “I love yous” before hanging up.

The guys meet for a game of basketball, but they’ve barely started playing before they’re all ripping on Gary for breaking up with the latest in a series of women he’s dumped for little to no reason. Rome and Eddie are playful about it, but Jon’s tone is very angry/disappointed. He brings up that Gary has a quarterly screening the next day, and that he didn’t nurse him through chemo “so you can ****** your life away.” But Jon is just getting started. “What’s the point of living if you’re not going to live?” he yells, causing Rome and Eddie to step in and Gary to leave in a huff.

After a tense call at the office, Jon confides in Ashley that a subway vote they needed to happen isn’t going to happen, and therefore they are royally screwed and the business is likely going to go under. Then he brings her to the apartment we saw in the fall finale — but that kiss she plants on him ends abruptly when he backs away, saying he can’t. They get past it rather quickly, and pretty soon he’s showing her old photo albums he’s got stashed at the place. Turns out, Jon lived in the apartment when he was in his 20s, and that’s why he bought the entire block. (Side note: Um, OK?) When Ashley asks about a certain photo, Jon quickly shuts her down. And when they start talking about regrets, he says he’d “go back and never buy that bottle of wine,” seemingly referring to a bottle that’s on a table full of photographs.

He’s going on about how small choices can affect everything when Regina calls, wanting to talk about a bad day at her catering job: some corporate d-bag grabbed her tush, and her boss didn’t back her up. After they hang up, Jon seems a little more himself: He makes Ashley a trustee of his “because I trust you with my life,” then he puts the papers she signed in an envelope marked “Rutledge.” They leave, with him swearing her to secrecy about the place, then he puts other things in other envelopes — one marked “Barbara Morgan” — and the camera lingers on a bag from a drugstore, though I’m not sure why.

Thinking Jon has stood her up for dinner, Delilah eats alone… until Eddie shows up. The waiter mistakes him for Delilah’s husband, and he plays along, showing her some affection right there at the table. AND JON IS WATCHING FROM OUTSIDE THE RESTAURANT. What?!?  This also is probably a good time to let you know that earlier, at the office, we watched Ashley open an envelope from the police department: Delilah got caught by a red-light camera while driving with Eddie, and the photo in the notice shows her and Eddie canoodling in the front seat. Jon doesn’t see the ticket, which came to his office because the car is registered to the company, and Ash doesn’t tell him what’s up.

Rome nails a pitch to make Hidden Valley Ranch’s Super Bowl commercial, and he’s very excited about it until he’s not. As we now know, he’s not the happy-go-lucky go-getter he seems to be. And eventually, we watch him grab a pad and write what was supposed to be his suicide note.

Gary feeds a stray dog and it follows him home; he names it Colin. When someone from a shelter comes to pick up the pup, Gary is dismayed to learn that older, bigger dogs like Colin are usually tough to place with a family, and that he’ll likely be put down after two weeks if he’s not adopted. 

While he’s waiting for the doctor to come in and give him the results of the screening the next day, Gary calls the shelter and makes arrangements to adopt Colin.

The next morning, Jon leaves before he and Delilah can talk about the previous evening. We hear her side of Eddie’s phone conversation from the pilot, when they talk about how they can’t stand to be around their significant others for one more moment. But then Delilah finds the drugstore bag of Jon’s and realizes he brought home a battery for the smoke detector like she’d asked the day before, and she’s touched.

Then all that’s left is to watch Jon in the office as he dismisses Ashley, finishes his call, leaves a voicemail for Eddie advising them all to “love each other” and jump off his office balcony. But what we didn’t know: He’d purchased a plane ticket for Ashley to travel to Spain, because she’d said that was one thing she really wanted to do.

Honored Contributor

Season 1, Episode 13, Twelve Seconds

As viewers are now aware, Constance Zimmer is not, in fact, the ABC drama’s mystery woman Barbara Morgan. But she knows who is.

In an interview with TVLine, Zimmer explains that AMLT creator/showrunner D.J. Nash, with whom she worked on NBC’s Growing Up Fisher, divulged all of Season 1’s secrets while pitching her the role of Jeri. In this week’s episode, Jeri is revealed to be a Cambridge city council member who collaborated with Jon on the subway vote; she’s the one he’s yelling at on the phone in the flashback to the morning of his suicide. 

Thursday’s hour depicted Jeri feeling so guilty that she’d inadvertently contributed to Jon’s despair that she worked with Ashley to get the mass transit vote back on the table. And though Jeri assured Delilah that the rescheduled vote would come out in her favor, making the real estate Jon bought far more valuable, the city council ultimately decided not to go through with installing a new subway stop near Jon’s old apartment. (Don’t worry: Delilah listened to her gut, instead, and sold the property to an interested buyer minutes before the vote took place.)

When we admit that we saw Zimmer in the crowd at Jon’s funeral and assumed she was Ms. Morgan, she laughs. “I loved the idea of [Nash] using the fact that I was a somewhat recognizable face,” she says. “And to your point, you see somebody do one line in a pilot and you think, ‘Well, that person is going to have a bigger part, because why would they do that?'” She adds: “It’s been fun to watch the build of it all. [Nash] kept saying to me, ‘If we can pull it off, this is going to be awesome,’ and I loved it.”

Jeri’s involvement in Thursday’s episode also forwarded the emotional development of Delilah, who “is coming out from under the ceiling of guilt and realizing she needs to start moving ahead and moving on with her life, doing something for herself and not constantly looking to do something for others,” Zimmer says.

Which is altruistic and all… but now that we know Zimmer’s character’s name, we’re thirsty for more details. No, she wouldn’t give up the goods about the real Barbara Morgan, but here’s what we could eke out of the charmingly cagey actress:

• “She’s a good person. Nothing was done in spite of [anyone] or for her own good. It really was for [Jon], and then when she was the last person to talk to him, that guilt then catapults her into doing even more that she shouldn’t have done.”
  • Jeri and Jon’s interactions were purely professional. “There’s certain people that you click with or connect with in business dealings, and I think that was their relationship,” she notes.