Honored Contributor

If there are fans of Deborah Harkness’ All Souls Trilogy reading, I’ve just become aware that a TV series is being made as we speak.  Warner Bros had optioned it, that didn’t go very far. The BBC was going to make it, but in the end some writers of very well known British TV programs optioned it and formed a production company to do it themselves. It will be shown on Sky One in the UK, and I’m sure will be picked up by someone here.

There is a post with further info (cast, basic plot summary) in the Books forum under the History thread. Downton Abbey fans will be pleased at one cast member at least.

A Discovery of Witches, the first of the three books, was a NYT #1 best seller.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Read all three books.

Loved the first one, the second was hard to get through because it takes place in the Elizabethan era. The third book was OK. 

Overall, I think the story was too drawn out. Two books probably could've told the story.

Will I watch the TV show if / when it comes to the US? Yes! It'll be interesting to see how they develop it for TV. And Matthew Goode as Matthew Clairmont is great casting!!

From what I previously read, they do plan on showing it here but they don't have a distributor yet.

I loved the characters of Miriam, Marcus, Philippe and Ysabeau De Clermont and especially Gallowglass.

They have released a few pictures from shooting the series. Here are Matthew Goode as Matthew Clairmont and Teresa Palmer as Diana Bishop.....

Honored Contributor

@lmt, I’m 200 pages from the end of The Book of Life. I don’t want to stay up tonight and finish it - I did that last night with Shadow of Night. It’s making me nuts!

I’m very fond of Ysabeau, and was from the beginning. I’d thought perhaps I wouldn’t like Philippe, but I adored him. How about Sean Connery for Philippe? You know that Lindsay Duncan is Ysabeau? Perfect casting IMO. And Alex Kingston of ER and Dr. Who will be Sarah. Phoebe is Aisling Loftus from Mr Selfridge. I like Gallowglass too. They’re making the announcement tomorrow of who will play (I think) Baldwin. 

I had a very long delay between reading the books. I read ADOW when it was released, and started Shadow of Night when it was released but have not read books since then until the last six months or so due to eye issues. I heard about the series, and started in again yesterday (I’m a fast reader). Will have to reread ADOW because I need reminding of a few things I’ve forgotten.

I’m a history freak so I loved Book 2. And of course the author teaches and has written nonfiction books about the period.

Yes, the books are long - one reason I had trouble reading them with eye issues - but I’ve never been bored or tempted to skip ahead - you’d miss something vital.

Another “character” I love - Corra. I want one!

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde, sounds very interesting.  Thanks for posting!  LM

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@lmt, I’m 200 pages from the end of The Book of Life. I don’t want to stay up tonight and finish it - I did that last night with Shadow of Night. It’s making me nuts!

I’m very fond of Ysabeau, and was from the beginning. I’d thought perhaps I wouldn’t like Philippe, but I adored him. How about Sean Connery for Philippe? You know that Lindsay Duncan is Ysabeau? Perfect casting IMO. And Alex Kingston of ER and Dr. Who will be Sarah. Phoebe is Aisling Loftus from Mr Selfridge. I like Gallowglass too. They’re making the announcement tomorrow of who will play (I think) Baldwin. 

I had a very long delay between reading the books. I read ADOW when it was released, and started Shadow of Night when it was released but have not read books since then until the last six months or so due to eye issues. I heard about the series, and started in again yesterday (I’m a fast reader). Will have to reread ADOW because I need reminding of a few things I’ve forgotten.

I’m a history freak so I loved Book 2. And of course the author teaches and has written nonfiction books about the period.

Yes, the books are long - one reason I had trouble reading them with eye issues - but I’ve never been bored or tempted to skip ahead - you’d miss something vital.

I don't know who Lindsay Duncan is, I looked her up and still don't know her. But I can see her playing Ysabeau. Alex Kingston I do know; she looks perfect as Sarah.

I don't know who would make a good Philippe, but I don't see Sean Connery at all. 

There is a cast list and pictures floating around, and with the exception of Teresa Palmer, Matthew Goode and Alex Kingston, I don't know any of them. 

I read all three books back to back. I had them laying around for quite awhile and finally decided to read them. 

Honestly, the biggest reason I want to watch the series is for Matthew Goode. He is serious eye candy. He was in one of my favorite movies, Leap Year, with Amy Adams.

And, yeah, I would love to have a Corra. We could all use one these days!!

Regular Contributor

I've been a fan from the beginning, and have enjoyed discovering and discussing different perspectives with the Facebook bookclub (All Souls Discussion Group). Deb occasionally stops in to chat about different things with members...it's fun!

I'm looking forward to watch the characters come to life (pun intended) in the TV series. 

Honored Contributor

@Abby Grace wrote:

I've been a fan from the beginning, and have enjoyed discovering and discussing different perspectives with the Facebook bookclub (All Souls Discussion Group). Deb occasionally stops in to chat about different things with members...it's fun!

I'm looking forward to watch the characters come to life (pun intended) in the TV series. 

I joined the FB group but haven’t posted. I wanted to finish everything before I really got involved. The other sites/forums don’t seem very active so I held off joining them.

Finished at 3:30 a.m., which I said I wasn’t going to do, I felt the last 100 pages or so were a tiny bit rushed, and the very end a little anti-climactic - but maybe that’s because I read it all in one go.

I was living in SoCal when ADOW was newly published. The author was giving a talk at the Huntington Library (a place Diana would love) - which I couldn’t get to on a weeknight across town, as I recall - anyway, there was a reason I couldn’t go, even though I badly wanted to. I think she totally “gets” fannish interest and fandom, which is delightful.

Honored Contributor

@lmt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I don't know who Lindsay Duncan is, I looked her up and still don't know her. But I can see her playing Ysabeau. Alex Kingston I do know; she looks perfect as Sarah.

I don't know who would make a good Philippe, but I don't see Sean Connery at all. 

There is a cast list and pictures floating around, and with the exception of Teresa Palmer, Matthew Goode and Alex Kingston, I don't know any of them. 

I read all three books back to back. I had them laying around for quite awhile and finally decided to read them. 

Honestly, the biggest reason I want to watch the series is for Matthew Goode. He is serious eye candy. He was in one of my favorite movies, Leap Year, with Amy Adams.

And, yeah, I would love to have a Corra. We could all use one these days!!

Oh yes, Matthew Goode is a hottie :-)  That smile! The actress who is playing Diana isn’t really as I picture her, and is Australian, so I don’t know her. Like you I don’t know most of the cast, but some I know from being a lifelong Anglophile. The casting for Gerbert (Trevor Eve) is perfect IMO. The actor usually plays villains, and I knew someone who once worked for him who said he was a total creep.

Honored Contributor

Heeeere’s Baldwin!  Trystan Gravelle of Mr. Selfridge. There are now three Mr. Selfridge actors in ADOW.

D551A850-B220-491A-808C-FD8F760D35CF.jpeg