Respected Contributor

A Discovery of Witches will air on AMC and BBC America

A Discovery of Witches has truly cast a spell over American audiences.

The supernatural drama based on the best-selling book of the same name by Deborah Harkness is making the jump from streaming to network television AMC announced during the Television Critics’ Association (TCA) press tour on Saturday.

Beginning Sunday, April 7 at 9 p.m., the series will be simulcast on AMC and BBC America. It has nabbed a plum spot after the 8 p.m. simulcast of network darling Killing Eve’s second season.

A Discovery of Witches dropped on streaming platforms Shudder and Sundance Now on Jan. 17 and quickly made waves, smashing Sundance Now’s records for total video plays and accounting for more than half of the streaming activity to the platform. Sundance Now also saw its subscribers increase by 30 percent in January in anticipation of the series’ premiere.

“Thanks to the critical acclaim and overwhelmingly positive audience response to A Discovery of Witches, the series has found a new legion of fans. We are thrilled to bring it to a wider audience and pair it with Killing Eve on both AMC and BBC AMERICA,” said Sarah Barnett, President of AMC Entertainment Networks. “This is a great example of our cross-network strategy; to expose our series to new audiences across our ecosystem of networks and streaming services.”

Produced by Bad Wolf and Sky One, the series follows Diana Bishop (Teresa Palmer), a reluctant witch and historian, and Matthew Clairmont (Matthew Goode) on a dangerous, romantic adventure that ensues after Diana discovers a missing magical manuscript that may unlock the secrets to the origins of witches, vampires, and other magical creatures.

“There’s a little bit of extra magic dust on this series,” Palmer previously told EW. It seems her sense of magical forces at work was spot-on given the series’ rapid move from its record-breaking debut on streaming platforms to a choice network television premiere.

The series already debuted in the UK last fall and has been picked up for two more seasons.. Production is expected to begin later this year.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Discovery of Witches will air on AMC and BBC America

@lmt This sounds fascinating.  It's something I'd like to DVR but I went to both stations and can't find it right now.

These two channels keep saying "info not available" when I go further down the line?  I'll keep checking.

My youngest daughter has always been fascinated by the study of witches.  During Halloween she was either a witch (but more like the fair witches) or a Greek Goddess.  Those were books and books I had to buy her.  My girls read constantly.  I'd buy whatever interested them as long as they read.  With this daughter it was these two subjects.

In order to make sure there wasn't anything in the books they shouldn't be reading I'd always glance over them before I gave the books to them.

I learned a lot about witches.  They are not evil people like they've been made out to be.  They are actually very spiritual and believe in goodness.

Anyway, I'll have to tell my daughter about this.  She lives in Denver and she and I have kinda similar tastes and ideas.  She's opened me to many wonderful ideas, things and people.  I never close anything off.

Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@lmt UPDATE:  Ha!  I just texted my daughter about the show and asked her to remind me.  Here's basically what she texted:

"I was waiting almost 2 years for it come to America. I have read some of the books.  I watched it on Sundance.  Watched all episodes already.  Book is a little different, but I love it."

I texted back "I should have known".  Ha!

Trusted Contributor

I loved the books! Can hardly wait to see how they do the series.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@lmt This sounds fascinating.  It's something I'd like to DVR but I went to both stations and can't find it right now.

These two channels keep saying "info not available" when I go further down the line?  I'll keep checking.

My youngest daughter has always been fascinated by the study of witches.  During Halloween she was either a witch (but more like the fair witches) or a Greek Goddess.  Those were books and books I had to buy her.  My girls read constantly.  I'd buy whatever interested them as long as they read.  With this daughter it was these two subjects.

In order to make sure there wasn't anything in the books they shouldn't be reading I'd always glance over them before I gave the books to them.

I learned a lot about witches.  They are not evil people like they've been made out to be.  They are actually very spiritual and believe in goodness.

Anyway, I'll have to tell my daughter about this.  She lives in Denver and she and I have kinda similar tastes and ideas.  She's opened me to many wonderful ideas, things and people.  I never close anything off.

Thanks again.

@Annabellethecat66  According to the above article, the show will not start airing until April 7. That may be why you can't find it.

I read all three books. I really loved the first one the most. As time went by, the story goes back in time and sometimes it would get confusing. But I'm very much looking forward to the series. I'm thrilled that it'll be on AMC and BBC America since I had no intention of paying to watch it on Sundance Now or Shudder.

This is on AMC's website:

>> The full Season 1 is available now for AMC Premiere subscribers on amc.com and the AMC app for mobile and devices. The series premiere is available to stream ad-free with cable login. <<

Watch a Trailer Now

Esteemed Contributor

@lmt, I have seen the first season.  It is well done.  LM

Trusted Contributor

@lmt

Thank you so much for posting this info!