Respected Contributor

A Discovery of Witches airing January 17

A Discovery of Witches renewed for seasons 2 and 3 ahead of U.S. premiere

Antsy viewers in the U.S. still haven’t experienced the magic of A Discovery of Witches, Deborah Harkness'‘ witch-meets-vampire fantasy novels come to life, but we’ll soon have so much to binge.

Following the season 1 finale of the series in the U.K., the story of Diana Bishop and Matthew Clairmont received a double renewal for seasons 2 and 3 across Sky One, Sundance Now, NOW TV, and Shudder platforms.

Fans have U.K. viewers to thank for this news. A Discovery of Witches premiered in the United Kingdom on Sky One on Sep. 14 and, according to Harkness, the “enormous” viewership “made it possible for future seasons to be greenlit and go into production.”

“The writers are already hard at work to produce scripts so that we can cast and shoot season 2 next year. Elizabethan London, here we come!” the author wrote in a post on Facebook, referencing a plot lifted from her second book, Shadow of Night, for season 2. “Thank you to all our loyal viewers on the U.K. and territories covered by HBO Europe. Now we pass the baton to viewers in Spain, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia and the U.S. who will be seeing the show in the next few months.”

Season 1 will hit the U.S. this Jan. 17 on Sundance Now and Shudder.

A Discovery of Witches stars Teresa Palmer as Diana, a powerful witch and historian who suppressed her magic after the deaths of her parents. But when she becomes the only known being to stumble upon the highly coveted tome Ashmole 782, rumored to contain all sorts of secrets about witches, vampires, and daemons, she’s going to have to use her witchcraft or die at the hands of those looking for the book.

One of these tome hunters is Matthew de Clarimont (Matthew Goode), a ferocious vampire who falls in love with Diana, setting them both on a dangerous path that could upset the order of all magical creatures. A Discovery of Witches is based on Harkness’ All Souls Trilogy.

Frequent Contributor

Re: A Discovery of Witches airing January 17

Watched the first season that finished last week online. I am addicted, what a good "witch tale".

Now the wait for the next season begins, thought I would read the book that the show is based on while I'm waiting. 

Respected Contributor

Re: A Discovery of Witches airing January 17

@calexand  Glad you liked the series. I won't be able to see it as I don't have either Sundance Now or Shudder. Hoping it'll come to cable or Netflix someday.

Just so you know, the series is based on the trilogy of books -  A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night and The Book of Life.