Honored Contributor

A Christmas Story Christmas on HBOMAX

This is the sequel to A Christmas Story with a grownup Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) married with a family of his own. His mother is played by Julie Hagerty. Ralphie goes back to the home where he grew up and is determined to give his kids the best Christmas. You will see characters that were in the original. The sequel has the same tone as the original, is it as good as the original, of course not, but if you are a fan you should like this. 

Honored Contributor

Re: A Christmas Story Christmas on HBOMAX

@Jordan2 wrote:

This is the sequel to A Christmas Story with a grownup Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) married with a family of his own. His mother is played by Julie Hagerty. Ralphie goes back to the home where he grew up and is determined to give his kids the best Christmas. You will see characters that were in the original. The sequel has the same tone as the original, is it as good as the original, of course not, but if you are a fan you should like this. 

@Jordan2 

Loved that movie because Ralphie looked like one of my children.

Honored Contributor

A Christmas Story is just amazing and I never tire of watching it!  I would like to see this one but I don't have HBO Max.  Oh, well, maybe sometime down the line, I will get the opportunity.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I love A Christmas Story.

I tried to watch the grown Ralphie sequel, I tried.  I gave up after 20 minutes -- it was so bad. 

Honored Contributor

I'm clearly in the minority, but did not enjoy A Christmas Story.

Esteemed Contributor

I saw the new film last night, with my daughter and granddaughter. Our expectations were low but all three of us were pleasantly surprised. If you've seen the original a zillion times, as we have, it was nice to see so many of the original cast in this movie. There were several allusions to original plot lines so fans could enjoy revisiting some heartwarming and original themes. A Christmas Story Chistmas could never be as good as the original but we were pleasantly surprised that it was a good film, worth watching,

Regular Contributor

@Vivian- I agree with your assessment. I watched it on Thanksgiving night and also had low expectations, but was surprised.  It wasn't as bad as some sequels and interesting that many of the original child actors returned as their characters.  I enjoyed it and did not feel like it was a waste of my time.

Super Contributor

I've never even seen the original!
Honored Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:
I've never even seen the original!

@IslanderGirl62 well if you want to see it you'll have plenty of chances! I think both TNT and TBS run it starting Christmas Eve and all day Christmas. It's run on a loop over and over again with both stations having different starting times. 

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm clearly in the minority, but did not enjoy A Christmas Story.

@Krimpette I'm probably even more of a minority, I've never watched it.