Respected Contributor

A Christmas Carol

[ Edited ]

TCM is airing the Reginald Owen version from 1938 at noon ET today. This one is my favorite. The Movies channel is also airing one tomorrow at noon ET,. That one is the Alastair Simm version from 1951.

Honored Contributor

I think the one is w/George C. Scott is the very best! Saw the one w/Patrick Stewart (sp) and was disappointed. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@catter70  these two versions are my absolute favorites!

I love the 1938 Reginald Owen version because of the magnificent Lockhart family (three of them anyway) as the Crachits.  The acting in this version is a little cartoonish, but perfect overall for the way they tell the story.

I love the very different 1951 Alastair Sim version because of the more modern acting style and thorough storytelling.  But it's still quite witty and not too dark to be depressing like some other "Scrooge" films.  Alistair Sim is marvelous!  His housekeeper, Kathleen Harrison, is superb! 

I watch them both every year as part of my  Christmas TV tradition 😃

Honored Contributor

I have to watch the Alastair Sim version every year, it's my tradition and no other version will do. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Valued Contributor

To me the Alistair Sim version will be the best. My second favorite is Scrooge played by Albert Finney. Very entertaining. A lighter version. 

Honored Contributor

Well to go from the sublime to the silly, our family always watches A Muppets Christmas Carol on DVD. We get a big kick out of it. 

Valued Contributor

@catter70 

Thank you!  Because of your "heads up" I'm recording it and only missed the first seven minutes.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Christmas Carol

[ Edited ]

For me my favorite version of  a Christmas Carol it's Alistair Sims as Scrooge....Although I also do like Reginald Owens 2nd...

Another kinda of unique favorite is Mr. Magoo's version of the Christmas Carol......They sometimes show this on the former Family now Freeform Channel....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@catter70  The 1938 film is my favorite version.

Trusted Contributor

@QVCkitty1  The Alistair Sim version is my favorite too. I also like "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. That's the same story transposed to modern, well, 1988 modern days.