Esteemed Contributor

@Trailrun23   A few years ago DD came home in May and announced she would be gone for the 4th.  She and a friend were renting a convertible and going to Boston for a few days and to be at the Boston Pops concert on the 4th.

She loved it.

Honored Contributor

It was excellent as always. I look forward to watching it every year. 

Trusted Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

The annual special airs tonite on PBS at 8 ET, always a great show. 

@Shelbelle  Thank you for the reminder! It is ALWAYS a great show and last night was no exception! Mickey Guyton did a good job hosting and I loved her rendition of the National Anthem. Keb Mo's version of Lean on Me was so lovely! Yolanda Adams was amazing as always Smiley Happy I absolutely love her voice!! I was amazed by the pianist who I didn't recognize her name - Emily Bear - but I was just floored by her ability to so flawlessly play that song that's really tough to master. Overall, it was a very enjoyable show with a rich combination of singers who crossed many genres. I loved seeing everyone in the audience singing along and waving the USA flag. It just made me smile and feel so patriotic for our country. 

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I opted to take a pass on this one and have no regrets, based on feedback I've seen and heard. This show is never near the top of my 'to do' list anyway, but looking at the PBS site showed me that this year it was particularly thin on talent. Even more so than usual. And that's saying something.

@stevieb Even all things considered it was a gigantic flop and I wondered who on earth put this disaster together.  What were they thinking?

Honored Contributor

Some loved it and others said it was horrible. Opinions so far apart. I should have looked in on it. We were watching something on Netflix.

Super Contributor
Only Kate Smith could sing God Bless America!!’
Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Some loved it and others said it was horrible. Opinions so far apart. I should have looked in on it. We were watching something on Netflix.

Lucky you.

Honored Contributor

I loved seeing Chita Rivera present the tribute to West Side Story.  The orchestra played America and Cynthia Arrivo sang Somewhere. 

Honored Contributor

It was meant to be a birthday celebration of our country. One day of the year. Surely we could endure patriotic music one evening out of the year, and someone who sang our anthem respectfully with a pleasing voice as it was intended. I did try the second performance which was as bad, or worse, than the anthem.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

It was meant to be a birthday celebration of our country. One day of the year. Surely we could endure patriotic music one evening out of the year, and someone who sang our anthem respectfully with a pleasing voice as it was intended. I did try the second performance which was as bad, or worse, than the anthem.

@occasionalrain  I guess it really was that bad. No patriotic songs? How silly. Guess I’m glad I missed it.