Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I copied this from an article I read about how dangerous it is to be a woman in India. The 2012 gang-rape of a young woman in New Delhi was seen as an inflection point for women’s safety in India, sparking widespread protests and calls for change. However, girls and women continue to face extreme brutality in the conservative, patriarchal country. This, despite improved laws and many woman-oriented schemes like Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (save girls, educate girls) launched by the Narendra Modi government.

Cases of crimes against women, including rape, sexual assault, acid attacks, and dowry deaths, rose by nearly 40% to 338,954 between 2012 and 2016, according to the National Crime Records Bureau. Even this number likely underestimates the crisis: Previous research has shown that survivors of rape and sexual assault face incredible brutality even when they try to seek out justice, with the police, lawyers, and doctors adding to their ordeal through insensitive treatment. This combined with the social stigma associated with sexual assault, and pressure from powerful interests, ensures that many women don’t report rape or sexual assault at all. The results of the poll come just a few months after two gruesome child rape cases captured national and international attention, highlighting another worrying trend of surging sexual violence against minors. Human trafficking poses yet another challenge in India.

Some 15,000 such cases were recorded in 2016, and two-thirds involved female victims, many under the age of 18, sold into sex work or domestic servitude. Only last week, five activists who had performed a street play to raise awareness about trafficking were reportedly raped at gunpoint in the state of Jharkhand. This then is the dark side of the Indian story. The country may now be known for its startups and space program, besides its booming consumer economy that everyone wants a piece of. But for millions of its women, or nearly half the population, safety and dignity remain a distant dream.

@colliemom4   Yes, it's definitely not a safe place. There was a woman in her 50s from Europe who went to India and she was also gang raped. I would be afraid for my life if I were Jenny.

Honored Contributor

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

I copied this from an article I read about how dangerous it is to be a woman in India. The 2012 gang-rape of a young woman in New Delhi was seen as an inflection point for women’s safety in India, sparking widespread protests and calls for change. However, girls and women continue to face extreme brutality in the conservative, patriarchal country. This, despite improved laws and many woman-oriented schemes like Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (save girls, educate girls) launched by the Narendra Modi government.

Cases of crimes against women, including rape, sexual assault, acid attacks, and dowry deaths, rose by nearly 40% to 338,954 between 2012 and 2016, according to the National Crime Records Bureau. Even this number likely underestimates the crisis: Previous research has shown that survivors of rape and sexual assault face incredible brutality even when they try to seek out justice, with the police, lawyers, and doctors adding to their ordeal through insensitive treatment. This combined with the social stigma associated with sexual assault, and pressure from powerful interests, ensures that many women don’t report rape or sexual assault at all. The results of the poll come just a few months after two gruesome child rape cases captured national and international attention, highlighting another worrying trend of surging sexual violence against minors. Human trafficking poses yet another challenge in India.

Some 15,000 such cases were recorded in 2016, and two-thirds involved female victims, many under the age of 18, sold into sex work or domestic servitude. Only last week, five activists who had performed a street play to raise awareness about trafficking were reportedly raped at gunpoint in the state of Jharkhand. This then is the dark side of the Indian story. The country may now be known for its startups and space program, besides its booming consumer economy that everyone wants a piece of. But for millions of its women, or nearly half the population, safety and dignity remain a distant dream.

@colliemom4   Yes, it's definitely not a safe place. There was a woman in her 50s from Europe who went to India and she was also gang raped. I would be afraid for my life if I were Jenny.

@HSB1204  Yes. There are gang rapes in Europe too, but it's nothing like India.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@colliemom4   No, she went to India and that's where she was gang raped.

Honored Contributor

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204  Right. I understand that a European went to India and was raped. What I'm saying is that there have been gang rapes in Europe too. Of course it's nothing like in India.

Honored Contributor

I read that Tiffany (the one moving to South Africa) is pregnant. She supposedly posted this on social media back in April saying she was 7 months pregnant and giving birth to a baby girl but later deleted the post.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204  Right. I understand that a European went to India and was raped. What I'm saying is that there have been gang rapes in Europe too. Of course it's nothing like in India.

@colliemom4   Yes, it's definitely a lot more common in India. I would be worried about living there but I guess Jenny doesn't have those concerns.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I read that Tiffany (the one moving to South Africa) is pregnant. She supposedly posted this on social media back in April saying she was 7 months pregnant and giving birth to a baby girl but later deleted the post.

@colliemom4   As if she needs to make more mistakes. I feel sorry for the baby. What is wrong with these people? Haven't they ever heard of using protection?

Respected Contributor

Watched last night's episode on my TLCGo app while on my exercise bike tonight.   My favorite line of the whole show was when Karine's brother said, Paul seems - what was it - a little unbalanced.......

Yeah, a little.  But then so is Karine.  A match made in heaven.  All she cared about was what "stuff" did he bring her?   She was sure thrashing through that magazine, wasn't she?

What do the babies wear that don't have Americans dragging luggage over stuffed with belongings for them?     

This bunch almost makes the Sunday night group seem normal.

almost Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@colliemom4   Yes, it's definitely a lot more common in India. I would be worried about living there but I guess Jenny doesn't have those concerns.

@HSB1204  Yes.She's being very foolish. And who wants to go to another country and have to hide from your boyfriend's parents? Especially when you are 60.

Honored Contributor

@HSB1204 wrote:

@colliemom4 wrote:

@colliemom4   As if she needs to make more mistakes. I feel sorry for the baby. What is wrong with these people? Haven't they ever heard of using protection?

@HSB1204  I wouldn't doubt if she didn't do it on purpose.