Respected Contributor

Ladies, if you are fans of this show, I have a real life story for you.  A woman I work with got involved online with a man from Algeria.  She went there to visit him, he came here and they got married within the 90 days.  He is younger than her and she was a single mother at the time with one child in 8th grade. 

It didn't work out with her "husband", but he had nowhere to go and she was financially responsible for him so he still lived with them.  He went to college here for free.  In the meantime, she wanted her son to go to a private high school so she was working full time.  The "husband" graduated from college and got a job.  He moved out.  She was finally done with him right????  Not so fast. 

Covid hit and he was laid off.  He didn't work long enough to get unemployment.  He tried to get government assistance and they said...you have a sponser who is responsilbe for you.  So guess what????  He is living with her again and she has to pay all the bills.  When you bring somene over you say you will be financially responsible for them for 10 years.  Guess she'll go back to working 2 jobs. 

This isn't a young girl....she is in her mid-forties. 

Can you imagine Angela if things don't work out with Michael.  She'd kill him before supporting him for 10 years.

Honored Contributor

Re: 90 Day Fiance - Real Life

@Travone  The part about them having to support the person for 10 years always bothered me. I don't understand it either. If they divorce will the person be deported and support cut off? Do you know?

Honored Contributor

I remember first hearing about it on the show with a couple whose names I do not recall, but she was a young blonde woman and he was a young man from Jamaica.   I wonder what became of them.

It just seems odd that one would be financially responsible for another adult individual for 10 years, but I'd like to think they make that VERY clear with the paperwork that gets them here.   

Honored Contributor

I remember seeing someone being told this on the show a couple of years ago by an immigration lawyer. As far as I can recall, the wedding didn't happen, or if it did I've totally forgotten it.

About Angela: At first I really didn't like her but now I kind of get a huge kick out of her. She really makes me laugh sometimes. I can't stand Michael's mother.

Respected Contributor

I think that's the way they are trying to avoid fraud--the 10 year responsibiity thing.  If people who bring their 'intended' over on the K-1 are serious---they will be married 10 years from now.  But as we've seen, the people who come over fraudulently (for their green card) don't really care if someone is responsible for them for 10 years.  They're here and will take advantage of it.

Respected Contributor

The blond was Ashley and the guy from Jamaica was Jay (I think).  I'm pretty sure they are divorced now.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

@Travone  The part about them having to support the person for 10 years always bothered me. I don't understand it either. If they divorce will the person be deported and support cut off? Do you know?

@colliemom4   In the lady I worked with case, she is responsible for him for the full 10 years.  If he is unable to support himself, she must.  He is not eligle for govt assistance during those 10 years.  I suppose if he breaks the law he could be deported, but in the case he had done nothing wrong.  I don't know how many would go back to their ex and say support me, but he is smart.  He knows he had it good there, so he shows up on her doorstep. 

Valued Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

If you can PROVE ILL Intent, Like just using you to get a Green Card, it can be decided you dont have too and they can be deported....Molly Proved it about her husband and she got out ouf supporting him.

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

I think that's the way they are trying to avoid fraud--the 10 year responsibiity thing.  If people who bring their 'intended' over on the K-1 are serious---they will be married 10 years from now.  But as we've seen, the people who come over fraudulently (for their green card) don't really care if someone is responsible for them for 10 years.  They're here and will take advantage of it.

I think the government wants to make sure that Americans aren't going to be paid to marry people so they can get their green card, and then the government has to support these people.  It would sure make you think twice about getting married to someone you didn't know that well if you have to be responsible for them for 10 years.

Valued Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

The blond was Ashley and the guy from Jamaica was Jay (I think).  I'm pretty sure they are divorced now.

I read they are still together, not too long ago, and saw picturesSmiley Surprised