Respected Contributor

9/11:One Day In America On National Geographic Channel

I don't know if anyone else watched this 6 part series that was shown earlier this week over several nights on the National Geograpic Channel, but I thought it was really well done.  It's told by the folks who lived it & much of these folks, I was not familiar with.  It was done in conjunction with The 9/11 Memorial & Museum, who has access to these folks' oral & visual stories.  

I think it's being shown in one block of time tomorrow morning (Sat. 9/4/21) on NGC & they may show it again over the next week with the 20th anniversary approaching.  Some of it was tough to watch & hear, but it's very worth watching & really well done.

This is the trailer for the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGEssh5UAak 

Respected Contributor

Re: 9/11:One Day In America On National Geographic Channel

@aubnwa01   Yes, I watched it.  In fact, I watched each episode twice.  It was that compelling.  I was working in Manhattan when it happened.  Luckily, I was in midtown and got home safely.  But, a woman I had once worked with died in one of the towers.  She worked for Marsh & Mclennon.  I have visited the museum and found her name on the memorial.  That event still haunts me to this day.  I recommend this program to everyone. We can never forget this attack on our precious country.

Respected Contributor

@stellabystarlight  So sorry about your friend.  I've never visited NYC, maybe someday.....

I plan on recording it again tomorrow on my DVR, as there was some signal issues on the original airing nights that made watching really frudtrating & disruptive it really bugged me.

Honored Contributor

I can never watch anything like this ever again. Real time was enough.

Maybe if you lived in NY you might want to see video of what happened, where you were?

The same way, I could never re- watch about the holocaust, or the race riots,

Sandy Hook, George Floyd, VT and the shooter 

Realtime was enough to last all the lifetimes.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

I watched the whole series. I also DVR'd it because I will probably watch it again. I agree that it was really well done. I also agree that parts of it were very hard to watch. My brother-in- law and nephew were both working at the Pentagon that day. It was impossible to get any calls through. I was so relieved when he finally called us to let us know they were okay. I feel like this is something younger people should watch. It is a major part of our history and I feel they need to see the the selflessness of the first responders and the normal, every day people who were truly heroes on that horrific day.

Trusted Contributor

@stellabystarlight   I am also a native NYer who iwill never forget the trauma of 9/11.  My husband & I had just eaten dinner at Windows on the World a short time before that terrible day.  For trivia my father-inlaw was one of the construction workers who helped build the towers back in the early 1970's and took such pride in it.  He talked about how hard of a job it was for some of them dealing with the height.  I will probably watch the show and hope it does justice to honor the people who were there.  

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I watched all four nights.  Thought it was very interesting.  I hope it is shown again.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched it.  I happened to come upon it 5 minutes into tthe 1st part.

There was a lot of footage I hadn' t seen before. Truth be told, I almost stopped watching because it so hard to watch and listen to the people's stories.

I did finish all 6 parts. I said to myself, if they can tell what they went through and relive it, I can watch it.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I watched it.  I happened to come upon it 5 minutes into tthe 1st part.

There was a lot of footage I hadn' t seen before. Truth be told, I almost stopped watching because it so hard to watch and listen to the people's stories.

I did finish all 6 parts. I said to myself, if they can tell what they went through and relive it, I can watch it.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   what an impactful statement. It's also one I agree with. Thank you.

~~~"Patience is the power to do nothing when doing something won't do anything but make everything worse"~~~
Esteemed Contributor

All 6 episodes are being shown today beginning at 12:30 Pacific time; but is also available On Demand.

Thanks, @aubnwa01 for the heads up about this series.