Trusted Contributor

7 minutes of TV/5 minutes of commercials?

I very seldom watch a TV show as it's being shown as I'm so tired of having 5-8 minutes of the show followed by a lengthy run of commercials. I decided to watch something in prime time tonight & just hate having a one hour show turn into 30 minutes of show with an equal amount of commercials. Not sure if the reason is that TV now is costing more for the networks to run, but my answer is to tape most everything & watch it back, fast-forwarding through commercials. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

Honored Contributor

Re: 7 minutes of TV/5 minutes of commercials?

That sounds like Good Morning America  and the Today Show... nothing but ad fests.   I get so disgusted with commercial  after commercial  that I've quit watching them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Me too.  The radio is the same except you can't fast forwardSmiley Happy 

I heard just this week that things are changing so rapidly and the millenials are so different in their viewing habits and attention spans. 

This causes the networks to scramble to keep their bottom lines healthy.  Trying to figure out ways to keep up as they are rapidly losing money.

Frustrating for those of us that are from another era.

I have found myself trying to fast forward the radio to avoid the commercials.  I make myself laugh at me trying to push a remote buttonSmiley Happy  I have learned to turn the dial rapidly.

Honored Contributor

They're all like that now.  The worst show is Bold and Beautiful.  It's only on for 30 minutes.  The last 5 minutes is all commercials.  Then I think I figured 8 (or more) minutes of commercials during the show!

Some of us tape (DVR) many of the shows these days and FF over the commercials, it's soooo stupid.

Honored Contributor

A lot of time within that hour they show the same commercials several times....that's REALLY insulting!

Valued Contributor

Agree 100 percent, I have stopped watching some shows for that very reason. I dislike the commercials and the ridiculous amount if time you are subjected to the louder than necessary noise. 

Esteemed Contributor

And some folks WONDER why today's youngsters, including some boomers, have a short attention span!  

Media has taught them to be that way!

Trusted Contributor

@joannecha wrote:

I very seldom watch a TV show as it's being shown as I'm so tired of having 5-8 minutes of the show followed by a lengthy run of commercials. I decided to watch something in prime time tonight & just hate having a one hour show turn into 30 minutes of show with an equal amount of commercials. Not sure if the reason is that TV now is costing more for the networks to run, but my answer is to tape most everything & watch it back, fast-forwarding through commercials. Rant over. Thanks for listening.

I totally agree with you....I DVR everything I need,  watch them 1 hour after they finish,  so I am really only 1 hour behind my shows...or watch them the next day...and NO commercial since I also fast forward....Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

There are a few times when I've missed DVRing them.  If you do ON DEMAND you have to sit through the stupid commercials!

Regular Contributor

Wasn't paying for television supposed to keep us free from all of these commercials?  I pay a fortune for cable and started noticing awhile back how telecasts were being inundated by more and more commercials.  This is what happens when these news readers and actors are paid so much money.  I am ready to really take a look into other options over cable.