Honored Contributor

Re: 7/30/2021 Big Brother 23 Live Feed Spoilers and Updates!!!

@tucka 

The same double standard applies with women and men.

Women alliance is a sisterhood, good.

Men alliance is sexist, bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@tucka 

I made my feelings about it pretty clear in the thread from the 29th--post 4. 

I would ask that you consider this for a moment. Let's say we had been watching BB for 22 seasons where 14 out of 16 players every single season were black and two maybe 3 were white. 

And in these 22 seasons the 2 or 3 white players were habitually voted out early and never once had there been a white winner. Yes, 22 seasons with 22 black winners! 

Now, in season 23, all of a sudden there are still 16 players but 2 -3 times as many white players than were usually cast. Six of them. Six whole white people! Well, actually 4 white players and 2 half white players but close enough. 

Now, what do you think is the first thing those white players would do? 

It seems pretty understandable to me that people who feel they have been marginalized and discriminated against for 22 seasons are going to see they finally have a fighting chance and at least want to take a shot. 

And, it's actually a long shot because the house is still, in fact, predominantly white. There are 8 white players and 6 black players.Can you imagine the outrage that would have prevailed if CBS had been regularly casting 14 black players and 2 whites season after season?

I do understand where you're coming from and it's a nice, lovely place--like Rodney King's "Cant we all just get along" place-- but it's not very realistic in my opinion. If this were season one and the cast was racially equal then, yes, I would agree the Cookout would be inappropriate. But after 22 seasons of what they've had to deal with I say give them a shot. It's long overdue. 

Esteemed Contributor

The Asians must laugh at the diversity talk as there is never more than one token Asian. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

The Asians must laugh at the diversity talk as there is never more than one token Asian. 

Other than BB 15 race has never really been an issue in BB. Josh Martinez (a minority) won over Paul (white) in BB 19. The issue with a lack of minority winners has largely been due to the quality of minority players BB casts. Danielle Reyes was a brilliant player and could have won BB 2 finishing second. The black players who have been cast since then have been pretty bad prior to this year. In terms of Asian players, Jun won BB 4 but the Asian players cast since then have largely been duds. 

Da'Vonne gets a lot of talk about being a good player, but she blows up every alliance she's ever been in and is always paranoid. David (BB 21 and 22) knew nothing of the game even in his second season. Bayleigh played better in BB 22 but not great. Swaggy C was a disaster. Jocasta? Kalia? Jody? Kemi? Ollie? Lawon? (Where is his secret power?) Chima? Marcellas? Jozea? Zakiyah? 

BB typically casts black players who are comparable to Derek F and Azah. They're there, but don't really know what they're doing. We haven't seen a black player like Kyland, Xavier, Hannah, or Tiffany since Daniele Reyes way back in BB 2. Had they cast better players we'd have likely seen a black winner long before now. Any of the four good black players this year could have won in any of the previous seasons. (Except for BB 15 which was absurdly cast by CBS.)

Back to Asians, Derek X could win this year. He came in a bit naive but is learning fast and has become a good player. 

The game of Big Brother is not racist and hasn't been racist other than in BB 15 when CBS cast racists. CBS has just cast bad minority players who don't know what they're doing and are easy targets This year they cast good players, but instead of just playing the game it's become a call to right a social wrong that truly doesn't exist in BB. Righting a nonexistent wrong by doing what you're accusing others of having done isn't necessarily righting a wrong. It's just dumb.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The fact that race hasn't been an issue to someone like you or me doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue. Of course it wasn't an issue for us, we're white! There didn't need to be players calling others the N word for black players to feel marginalized. Good grief, all they had to do was look at the group photo! 

Again, had CBS cast 14 black players in ANY season I'd love to have seen the reaction of the fans here as to whether or not race was an issue. Even cast as a minority again in this very season there's been talk of how black players have the advantage. Really, how so?

And as to quality, think about the quality of some of the white players we've had over the years. I doubt there's been a season where there weren't a couple with questionable intellect, not to mention a lack of game prowess (I'm trying to kind here, lol). However, when you have 14 white people and 2 blacks it's not hard to figure out that's an almost 88% advantage of finding a better white player. You'd be a fool not to take those odds in Vegas. Let's call James Holhauzer and see what he thinks, lol.

Let's not pretend race hasn't been an issue in more seasons than 15. It was an issue just last season with Christmas and Da'Vonne. It was an issue with with Jackson Michie and his buddy Jack Matthews. That it's swept under the rug doesn't mean it hasn't been an issue.

That it's been an advantage in our favor (white people) doesn't change that it's been a disadvantage to others for 22 seasons. That, imo, is what's dumb and I'm thankful people are waking up to see it. 

Honored Contributor

Perhaps they were trying to cast according to demographics. As of the last census 76% of the US was white, while 13% were black. Asian constituted 6%.

Trusted Contributor

I am not good with words, however were blacks interested in playing big brother in the beginning? were they turned down bcause they were black? I don't thnk so,I have watched b.b. from the start,I didn't give it a second thought  on color,except that one year when it was so aparent [15?] I couldn't stand that girl who was so nasty and thought she was better than the others.

I have been mad at certain players through the years,doesn't matter what color they were,just play the game.But I don't remember white ,asian etc players having an alliance to get certain color out of the game,in my opinion this team the cookout is doing that and I consider that racists.Tucka.