Honored Contributor

Re: Twilight Zone - Wm Shatner On Plane-Tonight!

@MorningLover. Oh that's great!! The machine is even creepier than I remembered it. How interesting that Matheson wrote this one too

And LOL. When I wrote above that Shatner was putting quarters in the machine, I thought that was probably too much for those times but I didn"t think they were dimes. Just a penny back then.😄

Great post...thanks for giving me nightmares tonight! Shatner sure does crazy well!

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl, exactly why that show never scared me. I looked up the actor who played the monster and he was an acrobat in real life (deceased now).
Respected Contributor

I have Never SEEN a gremlin myself.  Why must everything that is dangerous be Ugly?   I Think though, that the fear you were supposed to focus on, the real terror,  was NOT the face of the gremlin. but Shatners characters  inner struggle with his own fragile sanity.  Was he STILL insane?  Would he be sent back to the sanitorium if he spoke?  Was it worth the risk to speak?  The question is... If YOU were he, Would YOU have the courage to bring attention to yourself,  to voice your convictions,  Knowing what would  happen to you if you did? 

P.S. LOVE Nick of Time.  Perfect title for that story.

Respected Contributor

I know that a lot of fans like Shatner and I too enjoy his "chew the scenery" acting but his castmates on Twilight Zone don't. I think the rottenest thing he did was NOT to show up for Leonard Nemoy's funeral.

Honored Contributor

And you know that how about his cast mates on the Twight Zone?
Honored Contributor

According to Mr. Shatner himself, he was not welcome at the funeral with Nimoy seemingly ending their friendship for reasons unknown by not responding to him anymore.  Shatner also had a charity event the day of.

Whatever the reason, people opt out or opt not to invite for all kinds of reasons, all of them personal. Just because you are linked closely career wise doesn't mean it translates to what is the family's day in real life.  

I got the chance to see them both together about a year before Nimoy died.  They seemed like friendly rivals to me.  Very nice guys and very entertaining.  Their personalities are exactly what you saw on the show. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love William Shatner and TZ, but that was never one of my favorites.

William Shatner was often drawn to sci-fi and macabre anthology shows. When I was a child, I saw him in one particularly creepy program (Thriller?) All I remember was somebody jumping out of a window to the water below, and Shatner's ghostly image appearing in the window--or maybe a mirror. Scared the bejeebers out of me. I don't know what it was about and I don't want to know lol.

What worries you masters you.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:
Pearley wrote:

..I much prefer the one he was in as a newlywed where he and his wife go to a diner and there is that creepy fortune telling machine on their table where you put in a quarter and it tells your fortune and Shatner gets obsessed with it, wanting to know his future! Now that one gave me the creeps!..

Here it is...

“Nick of Time” Season Two, Episode 43
November 18, 1960

Rod Serling:

“You’ve probably run across these penny machines that tell your fortune.  You put a penny in and out comes a card.  Only this particular machine, is a little bit unique in that the fortunes that it tells happen to come true.  A most intriguing tale called ‘The Nick of Time’ by Mr. Richard Matheson.

The fortune teller from The Twilight Zone episode, “Nick Of Time ...

Rod Serlin’s Opening Narration:

“The hand belongs to Mr. Don S. Carter, male member of a honeymoon team en route across the Ohio countryside to New York City.  In one moment they will be subjected to a gift most humans never receive in a lifetime.  For one penny they’ll be able to look into the future.The time is now, the place is a little diner in Ridgeview, Ohio.  And what this young couple doesn’t realize is that this town happens to lie on the outskirts of the Twilight Zone.”

The Twilight Zone 2.7 – Nick of Time – Fire Breathing Dimetrodon Time

A lot more info on this site

~ The Twilight Zone Vortex: Nick of Time

You unlock this door with the key of imagination . . .

@MorningLover. I was just browsing MeTV's  merchandise and there is a tee shirt with the same scene of the fortune telling machine on the front of it as in your post..  I may have to get that tee shirt!