Honored Contributor

Re: 62 Year Old Grandma gives Birth.....

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

This is from this week (June 25, 2019) magazine article in People Magazine

"Cecile Eledge's fourth floor room at Omaha's University Nebraska Medical Center began getting crowded shortly before sunrise on March 25.  A half dozen doctors and nurses stood beside her bed, anxiously monitoring her vital signs as the 61 year old Eledge was nearing the end of 18 hours in labor.  "Is the baby out yet?" asked an exhausted Cecile.  "Just about there", said Kirk, her husband.  "Keep pushing,"  As she paused for a moment to catch her breath, her son Matthew Eledge whispered, "Don't worry, Mom, we won't ever ask you to do this again."  Cecile tried to muster a smile, "Don't worry," she replied..."I won't offer".

Phew!  Did you read that?  OK, so here's how it went.  Her son is Gay, he has a partner.  The egg for the baby came from his sister (the birth-mother's daughter)...

I'm not about to cover the three page article with pictures...

https://www.apost.com/en/blog/61-year-old-woman-who-gave-birth-to-her-own-granddaughter-has-the-body...

Interesting....because when I googled this (I have the People magazine) I found out there are several 60 something women who've given birth to babies.

The egg came from Eliott's sister and it was fertilized with Matthew's sperm invitro.

You need to read the article.  However, I immediately thought..."Hummm...So I wonder what happens if these two (they got married) get divorced?  It's fine as long as they work together on where the child will live and with whom...but, (unfortunately) as we all know, divorced couples don't usually figure 'things' out so amicably...

Fingers crossed it all works out down the road and they all live together into old age...but life has a way of coming around and biting us all in the fanny when we least expect it...Hummm???

@Annabellethecat66   Brother and sister, isn't that insetuous as in could be problems with the baby, or is that an old wives tale now, I wonder.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  Well, I guess that would be up to the courts to decide....hummm???

But I think you might be right about genetic problems.  If you think about it.....anything in this family's genetic makeup might be magnified (i.e. multiplied) considering it was totally about one family.

There are diseases where family members can pass the gene onto other's.  I'm trying to figure out how I want to word this.  But maybe you understand what I'm trying to say.  Something like Tay Sachs.  I don't know if they are Jewish, not important, just using that for an example.  

I know in my late husband's family his mother and 2 sisters died from breast cancer (among other cancers).  My 3 daughters had to get tested to make sure they didn't have the BRCA gene.  None of them have it, thank GOD.

Then that pain in the neck other side of my brain (the side that drives me crazy) says, "Well, since it was fertilized in the petri dish you can be sure they tested the embryo for just about everything possible.  Of course not everything would show up or could be tested.  I'm sure the Drs told them that.

The baby is absolutely beautiful.  My girls were all ....(sorry but) they were not pretty babies when born.  My daughter had a very pointed head (they used a vacuum to pull her out).  My middle daughter had scratches all on the side of her face (forceps).  The last one looked fine.  She was definitely the prettiest of the three.  Ha!

Off topic:  Remember that Jerry Seinfeld episode where no one could look at a couple's baby because it was so ugly?  I can still see Kramertrying to look in the crib.  Not all baby's are cute when they're first born.

That baby was really pretty.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Annabellethecat66   Brother and sister, isn't that insetuous as in could be problems with the baby, or is that an old wives tale now, I wonder.

@mousiegirl 

@Annabellethecat66 

No.

Not related.

Click on the article...it has everything.

Sperm:  Matthew Eledge

Egg:  Elliot Dougherty’s sister

“.....and this ends Sidsmom’s 5th Grade Biology Class”

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl wrote:

This is from this week (June 25, 2019) magazine article in People Magazine

"Cecile Eledge's fourth floor room at Omaha's University Nebraska Medical Center began getting crowded shortly before sunrise on March 25.  A half dozen doctors and nurses stood beside her bed, anxiously monitoring her vital signs as the 61 year old Eledge was nearing the end of 18 hours in labor.  "Is the baby out yet?" asked an exhausted Cecile.  "Just about there", said Kirk, her husband.  "Keep pushing,"  As she paused for a moment to catch her breath, her son Matthew Eledge whispered, "Don't worry, Mom, we won't ever ask you to do this again."  Cecile tried to muster a smile, "Don't worry," she replied..."I won't offer".

Phew!  Did you read that?  OK, so here's how it went.  Her son is Gay, he has a partner.  The egg for the baby came from his sister (the birth-mother's daughter)...

I'm not about to cover the three page article with pictures...

https://www.apost.com/en/blog/61-year-old-woman-who-gave-birth-to-her-own-granddaughter-has-the-body...

Interesting....because when I googled this (I have the People magazine) I found out there are several 60 something women who've given birth to babies.

The egg came from Eliott's sister and it was fertilized with Matthew's sperm invitro.

You need to read the article.  However, I immediately thought..."Hummm...So I wonder what happens if these two (they got married) get divorced?  It's fine as long as they work together on where the child will live and with whom...but, (unfortunately) as we all know, divorced couples don't usually figure 'things' out so amicably...

Fingers crossed it all works out down the road and they all live together into old age...but life has a way of coming around and biting us all in the fanny when we least expect it...Hummm???

That would make sense.  If the egg came from his sister and they used his sperm, which is the way it sounds, you would thing there may be a possibility of problems.

ETA:  Correction.  One's guy's sister's eggs and the other guy's sperm.  My bad.  I re-read it.  I think this is a fabulous story and what a wonderful family!!!!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom That's what I kept mixing up.  I read the article several times and I think the problem was I got it in my head that Matthew was HER son.  

I'm always truthful and the truth was I was too lazy to go back and get the magazine and read it again.

The first time I had it right....

Actually, while looking up the article on line over and over I came upon a surprising number of women who've come up with (let's call it....creative) ways to have baby's and have baby's for themselves, etc.

Way back when I was in college I wrote for the college newspaper.  I did several articles on this subject and several that were similar.  Back then (it must have been in the mid to late 80's) all of this was brand new.  Most of the articles I found were about women in California getting similar things done (in-vitro) because it was way, way too expensive for the average person.

It's still expensive, but not as 'out of reach' as it used to be for middle income people....for some.

I (like many, I suppose) wonder where all of this is heading........

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

That’s commendable you circled back.

I’m still confused with your last statement, 

“I wonder where all of this is heading....”

Define ‘this’.

I just see ‘this’ as....having babies.

It’s something which has been happening to mankind since

the globe started turning. Confused how ‘this’ is new. 

Would you expand on your viewpoint?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Do not, I repeat, please (stressing the word please) do not put words in my mouth.

I'll take one more minute on this and explain what I meant and then I won't comment on this again as I find it boring.

What meant was there is no telling where this will go.  What that means is are people going to pick out the color of their baby's hair, the color of their eyes, how intelligent the baby will be and so on and on (think of the song...."and so on and so on....doobee doobee do".....(sorry, couldn't resist).

Ok, so I hope I've explained myself.  However, I will take one more minute and ask that you please do not TRY to interpret what I was TRYING to say.  I realize sometimes I'm not always clear.  

However, if something needs explaining (that I've typed), I will attempt to better explain my position.  

I am not a fan of people putting words in my mouth.  I will take your attempt at explaining as coming from a good place........let's leave it at that.  Thank you for your comments.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Annabellethecat66 

That’s commendable you circled back.

I’m still confused with your last statement, 

“I wonder where all of this is heading....”

Define ‘this’.

I just see ‘this’ as....having babies.

It’s something which has been happening to mankind since

the globe started turning. Confused how ‘this’ is new. 

Would you expand on your viewpoint?

@sidsmom.  A good portion of her posts end like this. She cannot expand as it may get banned or is political. No offense Annabelle as I think you are a great poster, but you do this quite often as do a number of posters. JMO

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

UNMC would have insisted all parties involved went through thorough counseling and all legalities were in order BEFORE the actual conception took place. They are an amazing facility. Years ago I signed all paperwork to donate by body to the UNMC medical program.

I find this story joyful for the couple and their extended families, who just happen to now be the baby's grandmother and aunt. What a loving family they have!

ETA: My son and DIL adopted through an excellent agency in Omaha 12 1/2 years ago. It was very, very expensive at the time. Imagine adoption is cost-prohibitive for most people now and this was their only option for having a family. I applaud his sister and mother for loving him and his spouse so much to help them ensure a baby. That's truly loving each other and giving the gift of love. 

Private adoptions are very expensive and certainly cost prohibitive for many people. The good news is that there are thousands of children in foster care, all ages, who are waiting to be adopted. In my state, it costs nothing. What a parent gets in return, is priceless.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  Do not, I repeat, please (stressing the word please) do not put words in my mouth.

I'll take one more minute on this and explain what I meant and then I won't comment on this again as I find it boring.

What I meant was there is no telling where this will go.  What that means is are people going to pick out the color of their baby's hair, the color of their eyes, how intelligent the baby will be and so on and on (think of the song...."and so on and so on....doobee doobee do".....(sorry, couldn't resist).

Ok, so I hope I've explained myself.  However, I will take one more minute and ask that you please do not TRY to interpret what I was TRYING to say.  I realize sometimes I'm not always clear.  

However, if something needs explaining (that I've typed), I will attempt to better explain my position.  

I am not a fan of people putting words in my mouth.  I will take your attempt at explaining as coming from a good place........let's leave it at that.  Thank you for your comments.

Explained yourself? No...not really.

I’m not sure what words I was putting in your mouth.

I was just quoting you verbatim.

Using your words, in the above☝️ post,

pick out the color of their baby's hair, the color of their eyes,

how intelligent the baby will be and so on and on..”

...that is not how in vitro fertilization works.

In fact, as the commercial goes,

...that’s not how any of this works”

And I still don’t have an explanation for the definition of ‘this’...🤷‍♀️

A Biology class might be in order at this point.