Honored Contributor

62 Year Old Grandma gives Birth.....

This is from this week (June 25, 2019) magazine article in People Magazine

"Cecile Eledge's fourth floor room at Omaha's University Nebraska Medical Center began getting crowded shortly before sunrise on March 25.  A half dozen doctors and nurses stood beside her bed, anxiously monitoring her vital signs as the 61 year old Eledge was nearing the end of 18 hours in labor.  "Is the baby out yet?" asked an exhausted Cecile.  "Just about there", said Kirk, her husband.  "Keep pushing,"  As she paused for a moment to catch her breath, her son Matthew Eledge whispered, "Don't worry, Mom, we won't ever ask you to do this again."  Cecile tried to muster a smile, "Don't worry," she replied..."I won't offer".

Phew!  Did you read that?  OK, so here's how it went.  Her son is Gay, he has a partner.  The egg for the baby came from his sister (the birth-mother's daughter)...

I'm not about to cover the three page article with pictures...

https://www.apost.com/en/blog/61-year-old-woman-who-gave-birth-to-her-own-granddaughter-has-the-body...

Interesting....because when I googled this (I have the People magazine) I found out there are several 60 something women who've given birth to babies.

The egg came from Eliott's sister and it was fertilized with Matthew's sperm invitro.

You need to read the article.  However, I immediately thought..."Hummm...So I wonder what happens if these two (they got married) get divorced?  It's fine as long as they work together on where the child will live and with whom...but, (unfortunately) as we all know, divorced couples don't usually figure 'things' out so amicably...

Fingers crossed it all works out down the road and they all live together into old age...but life has a way of coming around and biting us all in the fanny when we least expect it...Hummm???

Respected Contributor

Re: 62 Year Old Grandma gives Birth.....

If they get divorced, they will hopefully do what is best for their child. It is no different than heterosexual couples

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think I read about this. She was post menopause and thought she couldn't help them yet the doctor said she could still have a child. Edited to add that yes, this is them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mom2four0418 wrote:

If they get divorced, they will hopefully do what is best for their child. It is no different than heterosexual couples

ITA.

I read the OP 3 times & the People article to see why the divorce

statement was even mentioned.  

They’re just another married couple having a baby.

Best part of the article:

“As for Celine, she has officially retired as a surrogate,

but she wants the world to know that she didn't give birth

to her granddaughter for the shock value.

She did it out of love.

🌸💛

EE2406C9-3E82-4BA6-929C-03D51B925ED4.jpeg

FA7E9A2E-CCDB-495E-B2F8-D4EF232CDB55.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom I realize that.  What I was saying was IF they did get a divorce, determining who's who and what's what is going to be difficult....just as it would be for any couple.

Not once did I insinuate it would be different if they were to get a divorce since they are Gay that would matter.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@sidsmom I realize that.  What I was saying was IF they did get a divorce, determining who's who and what's what is going to be difficult....just as it would be for any couple.

Not once did I insinuate it would be different if they were to get a divorce since they are Gay that would matter.

Don’t know why I was tagged but...M’kay. 

So next time someone posts a newsworthy celebrity/royal baby picture,

or if a poster’s friend has a baby, we can all ‘immediately’ express what

would happen if that couple got divorced?

The normal response from most would be,

”What a beautiful family & extended family. Congratulations!’

However, I immediately thought...

"Hummm...So I wonder what happens if these two (they got married)

get divorced? 

Honored Contributor

Personally I do think they should have used a surrogate....his Mother could of had complications  and then he would have felt terrible.  Thankfully  everything turned out well for everyone and they have a lovely new baby. 

Respected Contributor

The mother and sister most likely signed away any rights to the child. It really is no different than using a surrogate, artificial insemination or adoption. The couple are legally married, and are the child's only legal parents.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

UNMC would have insisted all parties involved went through thorough counseling and all legalities were in order BEFORE the actual conception took place. They are an amazing facility. Years ago I signed all paperwork to donate by body to the UNMC medical program.

I find this story joyful for the couple and their extended families, who just happen to now be the baby's grandmother and aunt. What a loving family they have!

ETA: My son and DIL adopted through an excellent agency in Omaha 12 1/2 years ago. It was very, very expensive at the time. Imagine adoption is cost-prohibitive for most people now and this was their only option for having a family. I applaud his sister and mother for loving him and his spouse so much to help them ensure a baby. That's truly loving each other and giving the gift of love. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

What happens to any chid whose parents get divorced...LOL  They don't divorce the children...LOL      Whose eggs, who gave birth is totally irrelevent.  The child has two parents, in the event of a divorce, they'll handle it like any other couple.  Child support, visitation.  I've seen similar stories where grandmothers carry the baby for a daughter or son.  If a couple needs a surrogate, there's none you could trust more than Grandma.