Honored Contributor

Re: 600 lb life sean last night

I think Sean had injured his leg (?) and that is why he was bed bound. And gained all that weight. Thanks to Mom's help. 

Sean really had no one after his Mom died. When he was in the hospital, a hurricane flooded his apartment. A group of people from a local church came and moved him out of the apartment into another apartment. 

I think he was one lonely guy. And wish his Dad or Grandfather had done more to support him. I did not know he even had a Dad or Grandfather until last night. The previous show about him, just showed his Mom. How sad to live your life like that.

What I don't understand on one of the visits to Dr Now's office, a caregiver went with him. And Dr Now was talking about how Sean smelled and would have to do more bathing. Isn't that why you have a personnal caregiver? 

The guy needed more help. I could not believe that he ate an entire sausage (or whatever it was). I am sure that is not on a 1,200 calories diet. I find it interesting that some people are in the rehab facility for at least 6 months. But he was only there for what was it about  6 weeks?

Respected Contributor

@Jasmine19 

I agree.  I do think he was suicidal and used food as his weapon of choice.  I felt very sad after watching last night.  I do not understand why his father had abandoned him.  And when Dr Now called his grandfather I realized he did have family but they apparently had nothing to do with Sean.  Made my heart hurt.  It seems his mother made him totally dependent on her and he was just not able to live on his own.  So very sad.  

I will say that Dr Now tried harder to help Sean than any of the other patients on previous shows.  I think that Dr Now knew Sean had no family or friends to help him.  Sean did not even want to wear clothes and had to be taught how to bathe himself.  That is just so disturbing that he could not do these things.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

Sean had always been dependent on his mother.  It was an impossible situation to expect Sean to go through the weight loss journey by himself,  He needed support and he didn’t get it. I believe he should have been moved into an assisted care facility.

Honored Contributor

I wonder what caused the infection.

'My 600-lb Life' star Sean Milliken dies at 29. ... He wrote that his son died in a hospital following complications from an infection: "Sunday he was having problems with his breathing, they were able to resuscitate him and a short time later his heart stopped."

Regular Contributor

This episode really hurt my heart.  I felt so bad for this young man.  It was very clear that he was severely depressed.  How could anyone expect this young man to lose a tremendous amount of weight on his own.  As another poster mentioned, he needed to be in an assisted living program.  I'm sure money was an issue, but surely the state could help?  At least I hope they would.  Shame on his father for abandoning him.  Not sure of the circumstances, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with Sean.  Whatever happened between the parents should remain between the parents.  Don't abandon your child.  And one final thought......I don't think Sean was disrespectful to Dr. Now intentionally.  When he was rolling his eyes when Dr. Now was talking with him, I think Sean knew Dr. Now was right and really didn't want to hear it.  He knew what he should be doing and was so depressed he just could not see his way out.  Sorry for the long rambling post.  Weight/depression, etc. is a hot topic for me as my sister is dealing wtih the same and I see it/live with it everyday.

Esteemed Contributor

I just looked it up. Sean died on Feb. 17, 2019.

I was wondering how long ago this happened. Very unfortunate

that he could not succeed. 29 years old is too short of a life.

But he was not living.

Valued Contributor

I watched too.  You could kind of sense where the episode was headed.  You could tell he was giving up on life.  I think his mother was just terrible.  She reminded me of those mothers with "Munchausen by Proxy" where they keep their children sick as a way to gain attention and sympathy.  In a previous episode about Sean, she was arguing with the Dr about diagnosis and treatment, she was just terrible!  I think she kept feeding him in order to keep him dependent on her.  She ruined his life.

Frequent Contributor

@mousiegirl  Sean had a severe infection in the fold of his skin under his enormous belly (there is skin on skin contact and no air can get in so moisture gets trapped and causes break down of the skin and infection to set in). You have to keep the area clean and dry.  He was in the hospital in the beginning of this episode being treated for this infection and lost a lot of weight as well because he was on a controlled diet. When they got the infection under control he was released to a rehab facility.  Sean even mentioned that when he was in rehab he was bathing EVERY DAY.  He was then released to go back home.  His living conditions were pretty gross!!  He needed a maid for sure.

Sean came back for the weigh-in visit with his caregiver and had gained 200lbs in two months and lost a lot of mobility.  Dr. Now discussed his hygiene during that visit and mentioned that he smelled really bad so Dr. Now knew the infection was back.  Because Sean was not bathing properly or bathing at all (cleaning the folds of his skin really well) the infection returned.  When a bacterial infection goes untreated the bacteria enters the body/blood stream and you become sepsis and unfortuneately die.  Worldwide, one-third of people who develop sepsis die.  Most people don't realize how serious a simple infection can become.  You cannot ignore an infection.  Many times if the infection progresses, you wind up in the hospital, and it has to be treated with intravenous medication.

I hope this better explains what happened.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I think Sean had injured his leg (?) and that is why he was bed bound. And gained all that weight. Thanks to Mom's help. 

Sean really had no one after his Mom died. When he was in the hospital, a hurricane flooded his apartment. A group of people from a local church came and moved him out of the apartment into another apartment. 

I think he was one lonely guy. And wish his Dad or Grandfather had done more to support him. I did not know he even had a Dad or Grandfather until last night. The previous show about him, just showed his Mom. How sad to live your life like that.

What I don't understand on one of the visits to Dr Now's office, a caregiver went with him. And Dr Now was talking about how Sean smelled and would have to do more bathing. Isn't that why you have a personnal caregiver? 

The guy needed more help. I could not believe that he ate an entire sausage (or whatever it was). I am sure that is not on a 1,200 calories diet. I find it interesting that some people are in the rehab facility for at least 6 months. But he was only there for what was it about  6 weeks?

He was gaining weight and over eating for years prior to his injury....    just an excuse for overeating and gaining weight up to 1000 pounds.  No normal person would be in bed eating 20,000 calories a day to maintain such a weight.  Even being bed bound.   you would have to be eating in your sleep to eat that many calories a day! 

Trusted Contributor

Sad episode. I was thinking how many calories do you have to consume to gain close to 300 pounds in any time frame, much less 2 months? That sausage he ate was a "small" clue. Wow.

I hope he is at peace now. He never seemed to be while he was here.