Respected Contributor

600 Lb. Life - update show SPOILERS

Our DVR recorded the above referenced show about the 2 women, Tamy (married to James) and Karina (lives with parents).

I was so disappointed in both of them.  Tamy really needed the skin removal surgery.  At the start of the show, she said that James had cheated on her and moved out for 6 months.  She did so well losing the weight and was getting ready for her skin removal and then James calls her and visits.  He wants her back.  Ugh, I'm sitting there yelling saying "don't do it".  He's going to hurt you again.  She takes him back and when Dr. Now says she's ready for the surgery, James decides he wants to move back to Kentucky and her to go with  him.  Again, I'm yelling at the TV.  So she gives up the removal surgery, calls Dr. Now to tell him and of course, he's warning her about what could happen.  She moves back with James, ends up gaining a bit of weight.  Then calls Dr. Now to visit him for the surgery and she tells him she wants it BUT can't stay in Texas because of James.  He warns her again.  She ends up back in KY and looking for another surgeon to remove it which she did.  I'm wondering who paid for that surgery.

Karina does well, until she moves out on her own and finds many excuses several times why she's not losing but 2 pounds in a month.  Dr. Now calls her on it, but she won't hear it.  She ends up meeting a guy who said he used to date Lupe' from the show (his name is Gilbert) and he wants to go on the journey with her.  I just LOL.  She and Gilbert meet with Dr. Now and he remembers him and warns Karina.  Karina tells him she's not focusing anymore on weight loss and is putting everything on hold.

Sorry for the long post, just wondering if anyone else saw it and their opinions.

Honored Contributor

Re: 600 Lb. Life - update show SPOILERS

@HisElk1 Good grief. I wonder why some of those people even bother.

Honored Contributor

Don't ask why, but I watched.  I was doing something else, but caught the gist of what was going on.  It felt like they both were trying their hardest to get Dr Now to blow his cool.  LOL.  The lady with the dark hair seemed self destructive, but was in denial.  I really did care for either lady.  I hope they succeed despite themselves.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Don't ask why, but I watched.  I was doing something else, but caught the gist of what was going on.  It felt like they both were trying their hardest to get Dr Now to blow his cool.  LOL.  The lady with the dark hair seemed self destructive, but was in denial.  I really did care for either lady.  I hope they succeed despite themselves.

The one with the dark hair reminded me of Sid the Sloth (Ice Age.)  If she decides to remain with Gilbert the Loser, she will regain all of her weight.

Respected Contributor

Gilbert was the guy who needed to have sex so bad that he pressured Lupe into it before her incisions were fully healed & ended up breaking them open.  He's a loathsome toad.

Honored Contributor

@HisElk1. You ask who pays for all this surgery?  You do.  These are all Medicaid patients.  Have you seen a one living an affluent lifestyle?

I have a relative who lives on disability and welfare.   She's also on Medicaid.  She has had weight loss surgery paid for by Medicaid in Texas (not Houston).  Apparently Dr.  Now makes a nice living off of these patients.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It is no wonder Dr. Now has become fairly gruff and sparse with his communication...he must get so frustrated with some of these patients.  It also must be very rewarding when he is able to assist in a  life-changing event.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@HisElk1. You ask who pays for all this surgery?  You do.  These are all Medicaid patients.  Have you seen a one living an affluent lifestyle?

I have a relative who lives on disability and welfare.   She's also on Medicaid.  She has had weight loss surgery paid for by Medicaid in Texas (not Houston).  Apparently Dr.  Now makes a nice living off of these patients.

Each episode takes a year to film. The show pays for all medical expenses, including surgery.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624, @mom2four0418 , The reason I ask about who pays for the surgery was because Tamy's skin removal surgery wasn't done by Dr. Now.  She lived in Kentucky and said she was going to try to find another doctor that would do it and I believe the doctor was in Ohio.

That's why I was asking who paid for her skin removal surgery since Dr. Now didn't.

Trusted Contributor

Some of the stories are so inspiring and some make me crazy.

Gilbert is a Puke.