Esteemed Contributor

Re: 60 Minutes story about how Facebook is Toxic, QVC asks we post there

I have never used FB to connect to QVC. I may take a look at some point but I may not. The report on Facebook's behavior in the face of dangerous postings is extremely disconcerting to me. I understand that QVC is not involved in those awful things but I am thinking twice before using the FB platform to do anything. The only reason I joined FB is that it was the only place where I could view my grandson's wedding. There could be no big celebration because of Covid so we had to content ourselves with Facebook. It was better than nothing. Now, I don't check in often. I DO check in often on these boards and use the forum as the entrance to browse the products. I guess that will stop on November 2 too.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

One day after the 60 Minutes show features a Facebook employee explaining how toxic Facebook really is, QVC tells its customers it is shutting down our community and that we should join Facebook.

I won't join Facebook.  I value my mental health.

Thanks

@NYCLatinaMe 

I wouldn't ever use facebook for that sort of thing.  I have an account that I access about every 6 months.

BTW .........  if you missed the 60 Minutes segment on Tik Tok several months ago, it's worth seeking out.  Scariest thing I've seen in a long time on that show.  I wouldn't join Tik Tok if my life depended on it.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

I have never used FB to connect to QVC. I may take a look at some point but I may not. The report on Facebook's behavior in the face of dangerous postings is extremely disconcerting to me. I understand that QVC is not involved in those awful things but I am thinking twice before using the FB platform to do anything. The only reason I joined FB is that it was the only place where I could view my grandson's wedding. There could be no big celebration because of Covid so we had to content ourselves with Facebook. It was better than nothing. Now, I don't check in often. I DO check in often on these boards and use the forum as the entrance to browse the products. I guess that will stop on November 2 too.

As ridiculously strick as the mods are here, (they won't even let me say D i c k Clark) why in the world would they be affiliated with Facebook anyway? Kind of hypocritical.

Honored Contributor

Facebook is toxic, drugs are toxic, lots of things are. Bottom line is parents need to do their job, watch what their kids are up to, and limit their activities.  

It can be done.  Kids can be limited and punished if they don't comply.  It doesn't ALWAYS work of course, so we all know that.  However, if you have kids you gotta try.