Honored Contributor

Re: 6:00 p.m. Elizabeth Taylor Alert TCM

Witchy Woman, well said!  We're lucky to have TCM and other vintage film channels so there's a steady stream of upcomiing goodies.  "See" you soon at the movies!

Esteemed Contributor

@Puzzle Piece

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf is the only Taylor/Burton movie I don't love

Never quite understood the story and the anger between them in the movie disturbed me.

Just the same, I've seen it lots of timesWoman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@NanaLinda

I don't think you are alone in your feelings.  I've read that before. 

Perhaps she wasn't a great actress -- but I'm not sure what makes one great in that field.  Measuring her against today's crop of actors leaves me believing she had "it."

I only know that anything she is in, makes me want to watch her.  Just something about her on screen presence that pulls me in.

Honored Contributor

NanaLinda, I think there's definitely room for that point of view.  Some would vigorously differ, of course.  In the case of Taylor, it sounds weird to say this, but I'm thinking that sheer acting ability could almost be seen to be beside the point, if that makes sense.

There are certain stars, let's see, like Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Claudette Colbert, Fred Astaire, Joel McCrea, John Wayne, Elizabeth Taylor, who have a certain indefinable charisma (for me at least) and forceful presence on screen, that I'm not demanding Olivier-level acting from them.  It's enough almost to kind of enjoy their "glow", and getting great acting from them is a kind of bonus, but not a requirement...

There are other actors, like Robert Ryan, Teresa Wright, Barbara Stanwyck, Joseph Cotten, etc. who don't seem capable of turning in a less than stellar performance every time...

I'm open to anyone challenging my point and my list, since I thought it up in haste!

Honored Contributor

Giant was on TCM again this afternoon. Another fave, A Place in the Sun, was on Sunday afternoon.