Super Contributor

Re: 40th Anniversary of Luke and Laura's Wedding

I was a freshman in college.  Everyone watched in the TV lounge.  Someone ordered a cake and we all celebrated.  I can't believe it has been 40 years.  

Super Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I remember that day so well. I was an adjunct teaching three sections of remedial writing at a college. NONE of my students showed up for class!

Where were you?

so funny 😂! Were you one of my teachers? I was watching the wedding in the student center! 

Respected Contributor

I've never really watched soap operas at all, so i probably wouldn't have watched it anyway, but on whatever day that was, I'd have been at work.

Esteemed Contributor

I had just turned 21 years old.  Unfortunately I did watch it in a hospital setting as my dad was very ill at the time Smiley Sad    It was an uplifting experience though, almost like a royal wedding!  Amazing it's been 40 years.

Respected Contributor

I was in high school so I don't think I saw it live? But the rape  was always weird to me. Plus wasn't she underage? And he was like double her age?

But when I got to college, the student center used to be packed at noon to watch "All my Chldren" People would cut through just to watch for a few minutes on their way to class. 

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkidsI always found this story bothersome as a rapist married his victim."

Later on the storyline changed to Luke seducing Laura.  The rape was downplayed.

Honored Contributor

@lgfan Gee why doesn't that surprise me. They decided to make them a romantic couple so they brushed aside the rape and called it something more acceptable. I quit watching after that. Plus I thought her headpiece was ridiculous!

Trusted Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

I was in high school so I don't think I saw it live? But the rape  was always weird to me. Plus wasn't she underage? And he was like double her age?

But when I got to college, the student center used to be packed at noon to watch "All my Chldren" People would cut through just to watch for a few minutes on their way to class. 

I watched All My Children for years from the very first episode which I watched in the commuter TV room at my college. The room was always crowded, guys and girls. The college setting and the Vietnam returnee story line generated a lot of interest.

Dark Shadows was popular with the college crowd too.

I watched Luke and Laura's wedding when I was at home with my little daughter, who's 40 now.

Respected Contributor

Wow, can't believe it's been 40 years.  I was 15 years old.  I remember getting off the bus and running home as fast as I can to watch it.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I was a young mother with one little one at that point and one on the way.  I do remember it, but I didn't watch GH.  There was just so much hype about it.  

@Lucky Charm At that time I was a young mom, too!  Had a toddler and had recently quit my job to stay home with him. I remember the hype as everyone seemed to be watching GH. It was all my peer group talked about! I didn't really keep up with it once my second child was born.

I loved being a SAHM.  Looking back, I'd do it all over again even though when I finally returned to the workplace years later, I had to work until I was a little older to make up for that time.  My friends who hadn't taken several years off to be home with their children retired earlier and I really missed them. Still, it was worth it and I'm retired now. Smiley Happy