Respected Contributor

40th Anniversary of Luke and Laura's Wedding

I remember that day so well. I was an adjunct teaching three sections of remedial writing at a college. NONE of my students showed up for class!

Where were you?

Trusted Contributor

Re: 40th Anniversary of Luke and Laura's Wedding

Good Grief, has it been 40 years? Was I only 26 when Luke and Laura got married? Anyway, I was home glued to the TV. I've always worked retail and it just happened to be my day off.40 years? Time flies when you're getting old. Lol

Valued Contributor

I was in school and I was not so much a soap fan. 

Soaps were a program that my parents did not allow us to watch.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I always found this story bothersome as a rapist married his victim.

Honored Contributor

I was a young mother with one little one at that point and one on the way.  I do remember it, but I didn't watch GH.  There was just so much hype about it.  

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I always found this story bothersome as a rapist married his victim.

Ack!  I didn't even know that.  I didn't know the back story or any of the story.  But that's all you heard about. 

I don't think I watched the wedding--at least I don't remember it. 

I do remember thinking that Luke was homely as all get out with that fried looking hair. Bleck.

Trusted Contributor

@PickyPicky3 I was at work. My company had this amazing "TV room" for the employees to use on breaks/lunch hour. They were very high tech for the time, and the "TV" was one of those big screen projectors that filled a wall. The room capacity was probably for about 100 people. (my company employed over 1k people at that location. ).Many of us changed our lunch hour that day to 3pm (eastern) so that we could watch the show. I think we crammed about 250 people into that room. It was a lot of fun, watching with so many people! 

I got married not long after that and my headpiece/veil and dress were very similar to Laura's.

Honored Contributor

I don't recall where I was but I watched it.

Esteemed Contributor

I was working for the Army in South Korea and we'd catch our bus back up North at the Yangsan Recreation Center which had a lounge with a big t.v. where all my guys would watch the soaps ( or MASH) while they waited for their buses.  Funny watching 75 rugged guys watching a soap opera wedding.  I agree about Luke's fried perm.

Honored Contributor

I'm always amazed to think Genie Francis is still with the show.  Finola Hughes is another oldie but goodie, but not as old as Genie, and she's played a few different characters.